~Reformed Mechanic~

Reba SL 29er Question

Since I purchased my Reba SL 29" dual air 2nd hand, I did a full service on it when arrived. Turned out it had never been opened and was in 100% perfect shape, but better to be safe I figured.

Problem is that Im not using the last 20mm (or so) of travel when set to 120mm travel. I have both + and - air chambers set the same, about 125psi to carry my 200lb (geared up) self. Even running this pressure seems a little soft to me, although IM getting about 22-25% sag. Ive tried running as low as about 110 psi both chambers and it was WAY to soft. After every ride I never make use of the last 20mm of travel.

Could the issue be that I may have used too much dampener oil and its limiting my travel? I measured the correct amount shown in the tech manual, but there was a tiny bit of residual oil left in the fork before I added the new oil...

Waiting for peace
    Let all of the air out of the positive chamber on top of the fork. Gently push down on the fork and see if you get the last 20mm.

No? then you have too much oil. Open that side and let some out then try again.

Full travel? Awesome, you're done!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    Let all of the air out of the positive chamber on top of the fork. Gently push down on the fork and see if you get the last 20mm.

No? then you have too much oil. Open that side and let some out then try again.

Full travel? Awesome, you're done!
    Good info, thax. I believe I followed this procedure when I originally serviced it. If I remember correctly I do have full travel without air in the chamber. I will double check it though.

If it does goto full travel, is there another reason why I would not be getting that last 20mm or so when aired up?

Waiting for peace
    It might be the size of the negative chamber that you are using....if you filled the negative chamber first it will for sure give you less travel than the full indicated travel on the fork.

Try this:
    Empty both air chambers (negative first and finish with the positive chamber)

Fill the positive side with 130psi first, the negative side with 140psi and give that a ride.... that should be (ballpark) about right....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    everything i have read so far says to have more air in the positive... or maybe i have something backwards... i also have to reba rl and trying to set it up for a 235lb rider...

mtbr member
    If you have the - pressure higher than +, the fork will compress a little on it's own - the - spring will compress the + until their pressures are equal.

All my RS air forks, I have to hit something pretty hard to use the last 15-20mm, true of a lot of air forks in general. You could try lowering the pressure a bit and increasing the compression damping, if you are willing to live with a little more sag.
    I just treat it as a reserve in case I screw up.