mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Reba RL tuning question

I have recently put a 2017 Reba RL 120mm 29 fork on my bike to have it set up for some xc races (also have a 140mm Fox 34 for trail riding), and when I try and set the sag if I put in the suggested air pressure it doesn't move at all. I know the suggest pressure isn't always right so I instead went by the sag measurement, but when I put enough pressure in to get the suggested sag I can bottom out the fork by just pressing on the bars firmly.

I also noticed that a seal had popped up recently and I just pushed it back down myself.

When I was riding today, I noticed that when riding downhill the fork was running very low in its travel and the red o ring was right at the top when I got to the bottom of the trail.

Would adding some tokens help with my symptoms and get the fork riding higher in its travel for lower pressure or is another fix needed? I don't use the remote lockout and I've read about changing out the damper but not too sure if I want this extra expense. If it greatly improves the ride and perhaps saves a little weight I might consider it though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Did you lose pressure after the seal popped up?

MTB B'dos
    I never set my forks pressure by SAG, as it's very difficult to properly distribute your weight on the bike to get it accurate. SAG is only a suggestion, especially on the front, set your suspension up by how it feels and how much of it you're using, so if the fork feels good right now at that pressure, yet you are bottoming it out, then yes, adding a few tokens will help with that. I'd guess though that adding some PSI (10-15) and one token will give you a better overall setup
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sounds like that fork needs to be serviced. Start there, including air spring service. You could be losing air that way which would cause a few of the issues you mention.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com