Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reba 100/120 to 110mm

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  pOrk 
#1 ·
How do you boost a 100mm Reba RL to 110mm? I've done some research and basically it looks like you can purchase a different 110mm air shaft. I wanted to get a second opinion on this. Does this sound about right?

#3 ·
wife's rumor has a 110mm coil suntour and weighs a ton. Would like to lighten the bike up for her and give her a better fork. But I don't see 110mm forks for sale ever. I don't want to mess with the geo or warranty.

So, is that approach right on a Reba RL solo air? Just new air shaft for a 100? I assume that 100mm Reba and 120mm Rebas are the same fork with different air shaft.

#6 ·
So is that the correct way you would boost it to 110mm?
I don't know that there's a 'correct' way to go but I would go longer as it gives you more flexibility. With an air shock like the Reba it will sit at a different hight/sag depending on how much air you put in it. When you consider that, the difference of 10mm suddenly seems pretty insignificant.

Trust me, the Reba will be such a massive improvement over the pogo-stick that your wife will be delighted. The 10mm extra travel is a non-issue. Just take your time to get the fork set up right so it behaves the way she wants.

#7 ·
Hello.

First off I must ask - how do you know your SR Suntour fork is 110 mm travel? Did you measure exposed stanchion? If so then it must be a 100 mm travel.

Second the entry level SR Suntour forks are a bit on the large size - the measured axle to crown on a 100 mm Suntour fork is approximately the same as a 120 mm RockShox (give or take a few mm).

I can give as an example my own situation - my bike came with a SR Suntour XCM HLO with 100 mm travel.
When it came time for replacement I went searching for a 100 to 120 mm travel fork. Ended up with an older RS Recon, coil u-turn with 130 mm max travel. Axle to crown is about 10 mm more than the Suntour it replaced and if I use the u-turn to place it at 100 mm it has a much shorter axle to crown than the original fork.

Another benefit was the overall better design and geometry of the fork, including rake, giving the whole bike better steering and stability.

So my point is: measure the current axle to crown and try to get those dimensions for any fork you are considering. Then get as close a value as you can, regardless of suspension travel, and that will change the least the geometry of the bike.

#8 ·
Well I only know the fork is 110mm because the fork is listed at being 110mm whether SR Suntour is true to their specs or not. The exposed stanchion measures at 117mm.

It's a 2014 Rumor. The frame warranty is explicit about running larger forks. The Rumor Comp runs a 110mm Reba RL. I run a Reba RL on my Stumpjumper and love it. I would like to put a 110mm Reba RL Solo Air on the bike for her.

Is the correct method of changing a 100mm Reba to 110mm as simple as replacing the air shaft assembly? I read all Solo Airs were like this.

#9 ·
Nevermind. Found the 2014 Reba Solo Air manual and it shows that they are designed for 80-120 regardless of where the travel is when purchased and that the air shaft is all that is needed to be replaced. I think prior to 2014, there were spacers to adjust travel. But I am purchasing a 2014 or newer, so no worries there.

#11 ·
Really dude, changing a fork from 120 to 110 is a waste of time and money. The frame will be fine. Of course it says not to run a bigger fork but they're just covering themselves in case some idiot puts a 160mm fork on it.

It's 10mm. Be realistic.
Did you ever plan on responding to my original question? I asked four times. If I wanted to argue over 10mm, I would have asked something like 'do you think a 120mm fork makes much of a difference compared to the spec'd 110mm fork the Specialized Rumor comes with?' But I didn't. I asked about the correct procedure to change the travel on a RS Reba Solo Air.

To xmiero's point, I may not change anything after I get the fork and make actual measurements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.