mtbr member

Rear Shock Measuring?

Saw a Fox RP2 Boost Valve rear for sale on price point but dont know how to measure to see if it will fit my bike. Need help I have a 06 enduro comp with the original dhx air with no adjustment. The opne on sale says its 7.875X2.0. How do I measure for my bike? Im totally green at this. Thanks, Mitch

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    The first number 7.875 is the measurement eye to eye. That means the distance between the bolts or bolt hole from the center point.

The second number 2 is the amount of stroke. This means your shock can compress 2 inches before it bottoms out or stops.

It is important to make sure you find the same size shock as your bikes performance can be hindered or you could even damage the bike frame using the wrong sized shock.

**Edit** Sorry, I missed the part about measuring your bike. I haven't looked too hard but if you Google it, you should find specs. Be advised that Specialized is notorious for making unique shock eye to eye sizes and stroke lengths. Often this means they are not always interchangeable with after market shocks. I don't know if this is the case with your Enduro but my 06 Spec FSR used a non standard size shock.
    Last edited by bankerboy; 11-27-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    crap ok ill check it out. i still have the manuel that came with the bike for the frame but not the shock would that help?

mtbr member
    Should I take the rear shock off to measure stroke or is that not possible?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    The eye to eye is achievable but the stroke is hard to accurately determine.

The best I can find on-line is a 2007 shock. Your bike uses a Specialized AFR shock. If memory serves me right, they used the Fox Shock as a model and made their own or used Fox in the way Kirkland(Costco) uses major suppliers to make their goods.

I think the 2007 measures 7.875x2.25.

Here is an old Pinkbike ad --> specialized AFR shock 7.875x2.25 - Pinkbike

Sometimes you can use an aftermarket Fox or the like shock. The mounts will be the same but it can change the geometry, handling, and characteristics of the bike if the size and stroke are not identical.

Assuming the 07 is the same as the 06 (Pure guess here) and you use the shock that you are looking at in your OP, the length is good but the stroke is short. I don't know the travel on your bike but assuming it is a 5+" travel, you will effectively decrease your rear wheel travel somewhere between .5 to 1 inch.

You have a bit of research on your hands. Sorry I can't tell you more, but good luck!
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Nope thats not the one! The one thats on my bike is a FOX DHX AIR 3.0 with a factory adjusted propedal on it. The only adjustemt is rebound I think. towards the front of shock. Just found it online it says•Fox DHX Air 3.0 shock, external rebound adjustment, twin sleeve, 8.5"x2.25. So that means no! Lol Thanks for your help! Just thought it was a good deal.