bi-winning
    Stick with what you have. You'll need to throw A LOT of money at the bike if you want it to be "so great."
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Rear shock and fork upgrade for KHS XC-104

I picked up a basically brand new (ridden about 20 miles) 2007 XC-104 for my son. He was looking for a FS to get into riding. I didn't want to spend much since he is testing the water, so $250 got the KHS.

I have read the forks and rear shocks on the KHS are not so great. What would you guys suggest for a rear assuming a $100-150 budget and front forks with a $100-200 budget. I know, not a lot but it's a budget bike. My budget could go up if he really does a lot riding. I'm fine going with used too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree. That is an awesome bike for a beginner, but suspension upgrades are expensive and not always worth it. Especially given your very limited budget. Personally I would let him ride it as is, then spend the upgrade budget on things he dislikes about the bike. He may decide the shocks are fine but the saddle hurts, or the shifters don't work well enough, that sort of thing.

My first bike had really basic suspension on it. If someone had replaced it with top-end stuff and not told me, I doubt I would have noticed it. I was too busy worrying about shifting, braking, not crashing, etc to think about my shocks.