High Desert MTBer

Rear shock and factory tuning

Someone I know is selling a used rear Fox RP23 for a very good price, it is in overall great condition, recently serviced, but he does not know the state of tune the shock is in: the factory decals for compression and rebound are missing, and he cannot find out what they were.

My question is, just how important are these settings in the grand scheme of things? Can you tune the shock enough with an air pump and rebound settings so these do not matter so much? I am a fairly average sized rider: 185 and 6' , but I do ride hard and rocky, not jumps at all tho.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I would say 'very important'. It's like buying a size 14 shoe because it's a really good deal. If it's not correct, it's worthless. You can always pay to have it broken down and have the shims checked. Or find out what bike it came off of...

Good luck.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

High Desert MTBer
    Kind of what I thought, but I am not hugely knowledgeable about shock internals and settings, and the breadth of different opinions I have found on various online resources tends to muddy the issues sometimes. The price is not that good that I would want to spend that extra on getting the shims tweaked, and unfortunately I cannot find out what bike it came off, so I think I will just pass all the info I have gleaned into my internal knowledge database, and walk slowly away...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How good of a price? A new RP23 is pricey. If you got it cheap enough, it might be worth it to send it to PUSH and have them tune it for your weight/bike.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    How good of a price? A new RP23 is pricey. If you got it cheap enough, it might be worth it to send it to PUSH and have them tune it for your weight/bike.
    I did look at that too thanks, with the minimum Push, or Fox, tune, the price is still better than a new item, but not that good of a deal. I'm a stingy old sod, and like to not pay what I consider to be too much for this sort of thing!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The factory tune makes a huge difference.....I went from a medium to a firm tune and it felt like a hardtail. Not quite, but it was very noticeable and I had to take it back. Cost me a restocking fee but now I am educated.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    The factory tune makes a huge difference.....I went from a medium to a firm tune and it felt like a hardtail. Not quite, but it was very noticeable and I had to take it back. Cost me a restocking fee but now I am educated.
    Good to know, thanks!
    It's all Here. Now.