Keep on Rockin...

Rear Float CTD too linear and bottoming out....

My rear Float is bottoming out and blows through its travel way too easily even when running short on sag.

It is a high volume can with the "flanged" or "flared" appearing top. I bought the air spacer kit. When I opened the shock there was already a good sized spacer in there. Only one in the kit was a bit larger. Put it in and felt a lot better but still not great. Not progressive enough. Added some Float fluid to take up space. Better but still not great but definitely moving in the right direction. Fox says I'm maxed out on adding oil. I probably need to go to a standard air can. Doesn't seem like a compression issue. Shock feels great on small and medium hits. On hard, big, fast hits... Very bad.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Was it a stock shock on the frame you got? Often the compression settings won't be tuned properly if the shock wasn't tuned for your frame. Also check that you are running an appropriate sag for your bike.

Dont Rep me
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    My rear Float is bottoming out and blows through its travel way too easily even when running short on sag.

It is a high volume can with the "flanged" or "flared" appearing top. I bought the air spacer kit. When I opened the shock there was already a good sized spacer in there. Only one in the kit was a bit larger. Put it in and felt a lot better but still not great. Not progressive enough. Added some Float fluid to take up space. Better but still not great but definitely moving in the right direction. Fox says I'm maxed out on adding oil. I probably need to go to a standard air can. Doesn't seem like a compression issue. Shock feels great on small and medium hits. On hard, big, fast hits... Very bad.

Thoughts?
    I have the same problem, but can't find the air spacer kit for Float CTD, where did you get them?
    3 piece spacer kit is for regular Float, but can't find the 5 piece CTD kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have always switched to a LV air can to control bottoming. I use volume spacers to fine tune the travel use.

Keep on Rockin...
    Thanks.

Like I said, I'm already running short on sag to help bandaid the problem.

Yep, stock tune for the frame.

The spacer kit I got directly from Fox tech. It had a number of spacers, but only 2 fit the HV can. The others appear to to be made for a smaller volume can.