Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    57

    Rear coilover shock for 6.5x1.5?

    are there any coilover shocks for 6.5x1.5 out there besides cheapy ones like ToughShock etc? all i found was air...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    276
    They arent as popular these days in that size but most popular brands come in that size. Romic and Fox Vanilla are the 2 I have used in that size. Liked the Romic better than the fox but they require the factory $60 service more often. The romic compression dampening seams to go out ever season or 3 depending on how hard you ride.


    If you do a google search you can do a blanket search for craigslist by typing

    "insert what you're looking for here" site:craigslist.org

    such as: rear shock 6.5 site:craigslist.org

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,123
    I dont think fox makes the 6.5 anymore, they're all going to be used (and fairly old).

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    129
    Chain Reaction has a 165mm by 38mm Manitou Metel R Coil Shock for just over 80 bucks.

  5. #5
    Ow!
    Reputation: clydecrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    752
    Hmm, TYBD. I have two Romics for my Turner XCE. Since I will keep one and also have a RP23 for it, I may be willing to part with one. Let me think about for a few days and I will PM you.

    The Romic works great, but may need more servicing that other shocks. When that compression knob leaks, it really leaks. No problems with the RP23 yet (yet!).

    Also, why are you not interested in a high quality air shock? I go back and forth between the Romic and the RP23. While the Romic is more plush, that RP23 is almost as plush and noticeably lighter.

  6. #6
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Risse can make a coil over in just about any size

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    57
    ok thanks for the info guys. i found a fox rp2 on ebay for $114. im still deciding...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    Hmm, TYBD. I have two Romics for my Turner XCE. Since I will keep one and also have a RP23 for it, I may be willing to part with one. Let me think about for a few days and I will PM you.

    The Romic works great, but may need more servicing that other shocks. When that compression knob leaks, it really leaks. No problems with the RP23 yet (yet!).

    Also, why are you not interested in a high quality air shock? I go back and forth between the Romic and the RP23. While the Romic is more plush, that RP23 is almost as plush and noticeably lighter.
    ok.
    i was looking for a coilover because i do AM but more on the DH side with drops, jumps, etc and i heard air shocks tend to heat up real fast used in those conditions. but looking around online it looks like if i want a good quality shock its going to have to be a air.

  9. #9
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,280
    If you do AM/DH riding on a bike with a 6.5 X 1.5 rear shock, you are probably using it outside its intended purpose. If that is the case I wouldn't worry about using a coil shock. any benefit you gain from the coil will be lost somewhere else in the bike design.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    If you do AM/DH riding on a bike with a 6.5 X 1.5 rear shock, you are probably using it outside its intended purpose. If that is the case I wouldn't worry about using a coil shock. any benefit you gain from the coil will be lost somewhere else in the bike design.
    well i don't do extreme AM/DH. but i probably am using more than its intended purpose. good insight. i am looking for a AM or DH bike atm. havent found one in my budget yet. still saving money too.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    153
    YoungBikeDude - sent you a PM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    17
    Hi Dude,
    Did you find your coil shock yet? If not I have a 6.5 x 1.5 Vanilla RC with a 950 lbs spring up for grabs. I was going to use it on my GT IDXC til I found it is a 6.0 x 1.25 shock they use.
    Pat

  13. #13
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,925
    I had a Cannondale Super V with a 6.5" Fox Vanilla, and eventually replaced it with a Manitou Swinger 4-Way Air which was superior in EVERY way, not to mention far more tuning options. The 3-Way Air is also a good replacement for the Fox Vanilla.

    IMHO, a 6.5" x 1.5" coil shock isn't going to really show the advantages of a coil shock due to the relatively short stroke is has to work with.

  14. #14
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,280
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post

    IMHO, a 6.5" x 1.5" coil shock isn't going to really show the advantages of a coil shock due to the relatively short stroke is has to work with.
    100% Agree with this. Its the reason you dont see high end coil shocks in this size.

    Well that and the fact that most bikes with 6.5x1.5 shocks are XC bikes and most riders would not want the extra weight.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by PMaj View Post
    Hi Dude,
    Did you find your coil shock yet? If not I have a 6.5 x 1.5 Vanilla RC with a 950 lbs spring up for grabs. I was going to use it on my GT IDXC til I found it is a 6.0 x 1.25 shock they use.
    Pat
    yea i've found a couple out there. how much you want for yours? i'm just trying to sell it right now because it really isnt the right bike for what i do.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I had a Cannondale Super V with a 6.5" Fox Vanilla, and eventually replaced it with a Manitou Swinger 4-Way Air which was superior in EVERY way, not to mention far more tuning options. The 3-Way Air is also a good replacement for the Fox Vanilla.

    IMHO, a 6.5" x 1.5" coil shock isn't going to really show the advantages of a coil shock due to the relatively short stroke is has to work with.
    yea. I'm going to sell it. and try to get a better bike. it was better than my previous bike and for the price was great too. $220 for K2 Attack 1.0 that never saw a mountain or offroad trail.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    17
    Hi Dude,
    I want $55.00 plus shipping for the shock.
    Pat

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by PMaj View Post
    Hi Dude,
    I want $55.00 plus shipping for the shock.
    Pat
    ok I'll think about it. I got a BigHit now so I'm just selling my Attack. If the attack doesnt sell well then I'll start looking for a shock.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by PMaj View Post
    Hi Dude,
    Did you find your coil shock yet? If not I have a 6.5 x 1.5 Vanilla RC with a 950 lbs spring up for grabs. I was going to use it on my GT IDXC til I found it is a 6.0 x 1.25 shock they use.
    Pat
    Hey I know this post is from a long time ago but do you still have that shock ? I'm restoring my 2001 Rocky Mountain edge but my rear shock which is a fox vanilla r is blown . Or if you had a recommendation of another option /route I could go . I need to get this old gem back on the road

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    17
    Hi Shreddinsteve,
    sent a pm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •