Thread: R7 or MX Pro?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

R7 or MX Pro?

I'm looking at an Manitou R7 Seven Comp or a Marzocchi MX Pro. Both are about the same price. Which one is better?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Right now....

the Marzocchi hands down!!! Manitou is going through a transition currently. They were just bought out by HP Products, and are in the process of moving their production facility to another state. Over the last 5 years or so, quality control has be spotty at best, and currently Manitou's customer service and warranty service has been difficult. Not that they don't want to service the product, you just can't get ahold of them. At the shop I work at on two recent occassions we've had to scavenge parts from new Manitou forks to cover customer warranty issues because we couldn't contact the Manitou Warranty department to get parts! I'm sure this issue will be resolved soon, HP is a good company. But until QC and warranty srevice issues are resolved, I'd go with the MX Pro. I forsee a turn around for Manitou, ala Rock Shox when SRAM bought them out. But I also forsee it taking a year or so. Until then I'd hold off on purchasing Manitou suspension products.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    R7. The fork has such a great feel to it, I put it on all three of my bikes. I cant speak for the mx, But I really love the R7.

mtbr member
    What R7 are you talking about that is about the same price as a MX Pro? The MX Pro is a low level fork and a new 2007 model sells for $250. The only R7 that is as cheap as that would be a reduced older model. The R7 is way superior to a MX Pro. I recently bought a Mx Pro to fit on a backup hardtail and I'm very disappointed with it. It's very harsh and has very little in the way of settings to talk about. Air pressure and a rebound knob that does very little.

As for Squash's post above, I have to disagree. I have had nothing but Manitou products in the past three and a half years and have had no hassels. In January this year I got an Evolver ISX-6 and it is the best shock I have ever used. I also have a 2006 Nixon Super and it has been bomb proof and is very plush.

I phoned Marzocchi to try and get a service manual to see if I can do anything about improving my MX Pro. I have never worked on a Marzocchi before. There are no manuals on their site like all other brands. I was told that they do not have such a thing and they "don't want me going in there". Customer service. do me a favour.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

banned
    THe MX pro damper is very simple and the only thing you can do to get better performance is to install a ECC or HSCV cart. Nothing else. The chassis is better, as is the lubrication, but the Manitou is more sophisticated with the damping. The issue here is anything with SPV is harsh and takes platform first over damping. This is where the MX, with its simple orifice beats the R7. On larger hits, the MX will spike, perhaps to a greater degree tham the R7. It's a pick your poison deal and I don't think these are comparable forks, to be honest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The MX pro damper is very simple and the only thing you can do to get better performance is to install a ECC or HSCV cart. Nothing else. The chassis is better, as is the lubrication, but the Manitou is more sophisticated with the damping. The issue here is anything with SPV is harsh and takes platform first over damping. This is where the MX, with its simple orifice beats the R7. On larger hits, the MX will spike, perhaps to a greater degree than the R7. It's a pick your poison deal and I don't think these are comparable forks, to be honest.
    I agree with you about SPV or any platform. I had SPV both back and front and got it quite plush with minimum pressure but in the end replaced it for non-platform damping.

The R7 Super has TPC damping and lockout.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It's last year's '06 R7 Comp. i found it for $189

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovenian6474
    It's last year's '06 R7 Comp. i found it for $189
    Can you confirm that it has TPC damping? I think it has I would go for it.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Doesn't say anything about TPC so i guess that's a negative.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    the Marzocchi hands down!!! Manitou is going through a transition currently. They were just bought out by HP Products, and are in the process of moving their production facility to another state. Over the last 5 years or so, quality control has be spotty at best, and currently Manitou's customer service and warranty service has been difficult. Not that they don't want to service the product, you just can't get ahold of them. At the shop I work at on two recent occassions we've had to scavenge parts from new Manitou forks to cover customer warranty issues because we couldn't contact the Manitou Warranty department to get parts! I'm sure this issue will be resolved soon, HP is a good company. But until QC and warranty srevice issues are resolved, I'd go with the MX Pro. I forsee a turn around for Manitou, ala Rock Shox when SRAM bought them out. But I also forsee it taking a year or so. Until then I'd hold off on purchasing Manitou suspension products.

Good Dirt
    Hey Squash-sounds like maybe you could help (or anyone else with an R7)...I bought an R7 last summer...works fine, makes that squishy sound on rebound, but no big deal...performs pretty well and enough travel for me. Anyway, this summer, it has started to lose air...like all the time. I have to pump it up almost every day or it is wayyy too soft. I'm guessin a seal is bad. Any suggestions? Can it be fixed?

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovenian6474
    Doesn't say anything about TPC so i guess that's a negative.

It's probably fluid flow with adjustable rebound.