mtbr member
    Jun 2009

R.Shox Lyrik rc2 dh coil damper colapsing????

Hi mates!

Iīm Adrian from Spain so first of all sorry if my English is not as well as I try, so Iīll try to do my best explaining my situation with this fork, just to know your opinions.

Well I completely re-tune my lyrik putting 193mml of 5wt oil in the damper, all ok. Except that when I use the fork agressively, in 2 o 3 routes the fork starts to bottoming out until the final of the travel, so I have 170mm and I compress the lyrik without the spring and I do bottom, but after 3 or 4 uses itīs impossible to get the full travel of the fork even without the spring inside, so.. i donīt understand why occurs this.

My thoughts are:

1. the oil gets some air or bubbles so the volume of the oil increase it automatically and thatīs why Itīs almost impossible to do bottom out due the oil

2. Using 193mml of oil itīs too much for the damper, so with an agressive use, the damper colapses ( the fact itīs when i open the damper after this problem and I remove some oil (5-8mml) I return to get all the travel but it seems that the compressions doesnīt work at all so itīs weird...

3. Change the viscosity oil?? Iīve been running 5w oil fork, 7,5 w oilf fork... and I donīt know if it would be good change to 2,5w oil fork but too much low viscosity probably will affect the damper and the compressions indeed.

So I donīt know what to do sincerey...

Thanks for the advices!

mtbr member
    Most likely your damping oil has leaked to the lower leg and you get a hydraulic lock. Check that oil levels/amounts are correct. If this is the case I recommend changing new O-ring/s at the bottom cap in the stanchion tube damper side and change also new oil (for lower legs and damper).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tune View Post
    Most likely your damping oil has leaked to the lower leg and you get a hydraulic lock. Check that oil levels/amounts are correct. If this is the case I recommend changing new O-ring/s at the bottom cap in the stanchion tube damper side and change also new oil (for lower legs and damper).
    Iīve checked it and you were right, I will change the damper o-rings in the lower part and re-assembly the fork and insert new oil with 193mml.

Thanks for all!