mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Question: wear marks 00' SID XC

I have a 00' SID XC fork, and I jsut noticed today it looks like metal scraping happening right next to the dust seals on the left leg. This fork has 2000+ miles im sure. ITs been rebuilt once a few years ago. I also have to pump it up about every few months.

Is there something internally wore out? How i can I save my FORK!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wear

That's simply the upper tubes wearing. And unfortunatelly 1) it's not going to get better and 2) it can't be fixed...economically. You are now in the market for a new fork. You might not notice it, but the bushings are problably worn also and they're getting sloppy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I finally decided to tear it down!!! To my surprise the bushings down in the tube are not too bad, but they are not perfectly smooth. Kinda hard to see way down in there. The left leg is real dirty inside, but the right leg is smooth and pretty clean inside. But there are some weird marks right below the wear area. What do you guys think? Replace all the upper seals? This is my first time doing a fork, so I need some advice. Im going to smooth out the tube with some 2000 grit and buff it. I could care less what it looks like.

What replacement parts do i need to buy besides the shock oil and redrum oil?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow - that left leg is really worn/damaged - even if you try to smooth it, new seals will get torn and start to leak.
    Money spent on parts for that fork, would be much better spent on a new fork.
    It is a 6 year old damaged fork, it's time to move on

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TMaster
    I finally decided to tear it down!!!
    Is this your first time taking the fork apart?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yes, first time but i have the service manual and all the tools.

I can't move on! and cant afford a new $400 air fork...although i've seen some other brands of air forks for $300.

If $50 worth of parts will make this fork last 500 more miles its worth it to me. I've already put money into making the bike new again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, I rebuilt the shock today! New bushings, dust seals, foam rings, pistion O-rings, and new fluid in both legs. Spent a good 5 hours on it all. I cleaned it all up nicely. Everything is very tight now, the new bushings did the trick for sure, and the new seals are very tight. I took out all the scratches on the tube with some 2000 wet grit metal sanding paper, and a milled flat alumnium block to hold the sand paper flush to the tube surface while sanding. Then I high speed buffed it with aluminum polish. I should be able to get 1500 miles out of this for sure. Only costed me $55 in parts and my labor.

Last edited by TMaster; 10-17-2006 at 12:32 AM.

Mountain Warrior
    Looks like you did a good job. The most important thing is making sure the worn areas are smooth and not too deep, the seals should take care of it even with the worn areas. Now that you are familiar with the fork's maintenance you should keep an eye on it, especially on the worn area. If I were you I would open the fork again after about 100 miles of use, less if you use in dusty or rainy conditions, just to check that the seals are working fine on the worn area. I work with high pressure hydraulic actuators everyday (3000+ psi) and see similar problems frequently. As long as those worn areas are smooth and not too deep you should be fine.
    --sanmusa

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." - Mark Tawin

"The bicycle has a soul. If you succeed to love it, it will give you emotions that you will never forget." - Mario Cipollini

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That almost definitely happened because either the oil in that leg was too low or because it was too contaminated with dirt. With regular service this probably would never have happened. That said, you've worn through the slick coating on the stancion and now the fork will have excess front to back play when the bushing is sitting in that spot, so you can probably expect to go through oil seals much more rapidly at least on that side. I'd suggest starting to look for a new/used fork over winter when you can find good deals.