mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Question for Rock Shox Duke XC.

I just picked up a used bike with a Rock Shox Duke XC on the front.

On the bottom right of the fork is the adjustment knob, and on the bottom left fork there is a threaded hole where a screw in piece at one time went.

I asked two bike shops about this, one said this was a problem and that a part needed to be ordered and some oil needed to be added.

The next shop said I should just go down to the hardware store and buy a nut that would fit into the threaded hole to keep dirt from getting up in there.

Not sure who to believe. Can any one tell me how bad it is that there is an open hole at the bottom of that shock, and if anything might of leaked out? Am I OK just buying a screw and riding on the shock as is?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You have a fork, not a shock. Shocks go in the back.

Without pictures it's hard to tell without pictures what's going on. If you lost the bottom bolt, then yes, it's a bad thing and you need to stop riding it until it's fixed. If just an adjuster fell out, then it's fine and you can keep riding it. Regardless, if it hasn't been serviced yet in it's lifetime, then you should have it serviced.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I believe the threaded hole on the bottem of the left leg is for the bolt that keeps the lowers attached to the uppers.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.