mtbr member
    May 2012

Question about rebuilding fork?

I recently saw an ad for a Rockshox Reba, and it only says "Great fork but needs to be rebuilt". I have no idea what year it is, condition, etc. . It's being sold for $60. You can see the pics here and here.

Being a cycling beginner, I have two questions:
    * What should I ask the seller before buying a fork that needs to be rebuilt?
    * Generally speaking, what's involved in rebuilding a fork?

The reason I ask is that I called a local bike shop to see if they rebuilt forks, and even though he said they did, he also said it wasn't a good idea because it may have broken parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    From the pictures it looks like the air spring is busted and probably needs to be replaced. That part costs around $70 new. You'll probably need to replace some other parts like dust seals as well as add new damping and lubricating oil. All that will cost you another $70 which means you'll probably need to spend $140 on top of $60 for buying the fork and that's $200 for a fully functional Reba. Even though probably a solid performer you have to realize that's a 2005 model of the Reba. I think you can do better for the money.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the post.

I can always ask him if it's broken, but assuming the seller knows about cycling, would changing an air spring be part of a "fork rebuild"?

What I'm thinking is that if the fork has broken parts, then the ad should mention it, unless that is part of a rebuild.

mtbr member
    WOW! The seals for my Reba cost less than $40 and a quick peek on the net shows kits for $30ish.

I also found an upper air spring for the 2005 Reba online for $34ish.
    I have no idea about the seller of that part though.

They're simple enough to rebuild, but I don't like buying busted parts without having them in my hand, getting some solid answers to my questions from the seller, and knowing the cost and availability of parts.

It's a real toss-up... buying used gear... sometimes you get a real gem, sometimes a pos.

Hard to tell from the pic what might be up with the fork.
    Could just be blown seals, could be the air unit.... you really need to take it apart to see what's all good and bad inside.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The seller just replied to an email. His answer:

It needs new seals I believe. I dont think there are any parts on it that are broken. It had a an oil leak and I failed to get it fixed, now I cannot pump up the fork again w air pump, I think the oil leaked out and needs to be refilled, until that happens the shock is struck in compressed state.. I rode it not very hard for a couple years.

I can ask him as many questions as I need to ask him. The problem is that I don't know what to ask him...