mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Question about a good Entry level front fork

So I was recently given a Trek 4500, it has a few upgrades (Disc brakes, and some other goodies) but it doesn't have a front fork on it, as the original was used to replace one of the previous owners bike forks.

So bottom line, I'm in the market for a front fork... I don't have a lot of cash to spend on the bike, so the options I'm look at are in the Sub $200 range. I know a lot of you guys/gals on here are absolute professionals and would most likely advise against getting something in the lower price bracket, but for my use it will be light trail riding and street use. MAYBE down the line I'll be doing more aggressive trail riding, but I can't think of when that might be. Main goal is to help get myself back into shape, so to that end, you can hopefully understand where I'm going with this...

So the 2 front forks I am looking at right now are listed below, any opinions (Keeping in mind what I'm going to use it for) or alternatives (In the same range) would be welcome:

Amazon.com: 2013 SR Suntour XCR Bike Fork Remote Lockout Disc V Brake MTB 26" 1-1/8" Black: Sports & Outdoors

or
    Amazon.com: RockShox XC28 MagTK Coil 100 - mm, (9 mm QR, (1-1/8 - Inch), Rim or Disc Brake, TurnKey Crown Adjust, Black): Sports & Outdoors

I appreciate any help you all might be able to provide as I've learned a great deal stalking the site already

Thanks,
    Adam

mtbr member
    I'd go with the Rockshox over the suntour...
    If you can swing a little more this:
    Manitou Match Comp 100mm/130mm Fork | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    is a better fork than either.

It also might be worthwhile to see what's out there used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I'd go with the Rockshox over the suntour...
    If you can swing a little more this:
    Manitou Match Comp 100mm/130mm Fork | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    is a better fork than either.

It also might be worthwhile to see what's out there used.
    Nice!

Can you tell me a little bit about what differentiates it from the other 2?

And I've looked for used locally, but its a pain because no one seems to list them properly, so they never pop up with any frequency. And the few hits I've got are for new forks at near retail prices. :/

mtbr member
    The Manitou has a better damper. External compression and rebound adjustments. Also has 32mm stanchions making it theoretically stiffer.
    The RS TK damper is as bare bones as they go, and it has no external rebound adjustment. But at least it would have RS' dealer/support system, which suntour doesn't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Check your LBS, often times they'll have a few that customers have swapped out for new ones. I'm in the process of putting on a new RS Recon that I got for VERY cheap on a street sale at a local bike shop because someone swapped it when it wasn't the color they wanted. ($15 new in plastic)

mtbr member
    ^^Are you missing a zero there? $15 for a RS Recon sounds low for a crackhead stolen bike parts liquidation, let alone a bike shop take-off.

Anyway, I also agree with the Manitou Match. Plenty capable of light trail work, and I despise the Suntour XC* series.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Colin, I couldn't believe it either but they let it go. There was a bin of forks for $20 and most were crappy used Suntours and RST's and old rigid's and the like so I wasn't expecting much, but looked closer and saw a gold stanchion in the bottom and had to check it out. Got wellgo bmx pedals, pair of gloves, and small seat bag plus the fork for $25. Take the pile to the table, guy looks at it and says I'll give you the deal of the day.....how does $25 sound? I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket soon enough. They were doing it for everyone buying stuff that I saw, once a year sale.