mtbr member

Question about Fox F100rl 32 rebuild and the lockout

Rebuilt my Fox 32mm fork last nite. Everything is spot on it appears. However; I didn't really inspect the lockout as I took out that mechanism. Putting it back together I screwed the lockout all the way clockwise and installed.

It appears lockout works. However, on NON Lockout when the dial is forward, it doesn't click. It just spins til the blue dial touches the fork. Is this normal even though it seems to work fine?

Rebuilt with Enduro seals and 7.5 wt fluid. Oil volume should be exact.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ugh. I'll take a stab at this, but for your sake read this and then CALL FOX and MAKE SURE I AM RIGHT ABOUT THIS. Caps for emphasis.

Adjust the rebound knob to the middle of the range of adjustment. Remove it. Loosen the set screws of the lockout like you did the first time. Here's the part you'll want to double check. Using the lockout lever, turn the lockout adjuster counter clockwise, over and over, until the lever comes to a mechanical stop near where you think it should and the fork is not locked out. Turn the lever to the lockout position from there and make sure the lockout works.

Ah, man. Something like that. Call Fox.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the 2008 and 2009 FOX F100 RLC. Neither have a "click". The lever just touches the fork. I think you are fine.

I've flushed both of my forks twice and both times the worked perfectly after the flush of any/all fluids. These forks are relatively easy to work on and YouTube has lots of videos.

Also, I saw no need to disassemble the lockout mechanism or remove the damping or air systems. Taking it apart and putting it back together may not make it work any better. Just flush early and often and you will almost never have problems.

Also, note how many metal flecks you see in your old oil. Flush the fork twice in the same day and you will see more flecks.
    Last edited by egebhardt; 04-23-2010 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I reread/found a paragraph on the Fox site I missed earlier. According to it, I installed the lockout correctly: winding in fully clockwise until it stops, reposition the lever to the six o'clock position at lockout, and lock in place. Seems fine.

For some reason I was mistaken thinkin the lever clicked/locked into place.

Well over 100 hours since new; probably over 200 and everything looks fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, no need to take apart the damping cartridge. It just sounds like in taking it out to do the oil change the OP ran the lockout adjustment all to one end of its range or another. With the lever on, you only really use a fraction of how far the adjuster can turn. I was trying to remember the way to get things working with the mechanical stop feeling he was after. Maybe I didn't remember well. That's why I suggested he simply call Fox.

Just an FYI about Fox stuff. Unlike some other manufacturers, they are really easy to get on the phone for tech help. So good, in fact, that they render discussions like this sort of pointless. Maybe this isn't so for Rock Shox or Manitou, etc.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

I win.
    I'm having the same problem. My lockout lever would click into place at certain points. It would also stop before it the lever hit the fork in the full open position.
    Well I went to clean out the lockout lever because it was gritty and upon reassembling it the blue lever is loose (it moves up and down as well as has some side to side play) The only thing holding it on is the red compression knob.
    The 3 grub screws that hold the blue lever on don't seem to be doing anything. What am I missing here?

Just for reference the lockout is all the way down and is fully functional.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

I win.
    Well I found my answer. Apparently there are three little ball bearing that are supposed to fit under those grub screws.

saw that watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU3r3tGbn2I#t=3m08s

Well i guess it's off to the lbs to get some ball bearings
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7