Rod

Question about fork leaking oil - wanting to purchase the bike

Okay so I take the bike out that I want to purchase and I notice a small drop of oil going down the right fork. The black seal (I'm guessing that's what it is) at the top is wet as compared to the left side that isn't leaking any oil. I have had the bike for a couple of weeks now and I haven't noticed it leaking any oil before. I'm not sure what is causing it to leak or if that amount is normal. I did a small nose dive after a very small jump today. The jump was maybe 6 inches to 1 foot at the most. Any help is greatly appreciated. Should I still purchase the bike? Is that little bit of oil a problem? My current bike doesn't have a fork taht contains oil so I'm in the dark. Thanks

Rod

Help please

I'm really in the dark about this and my question is doing such a small nose dive cause the fork the leak some. It wasn't leaking a large amount or anything. I wiped a drop of oil off the sticker that reads Fox. I don't believe oil should ever touch that word, but like I mentioned I have never owned an oil fork. The bike is used so there may be a scratch on the fork that may be causing it to leak, but I don't think so. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Rod
    bump

www.derbyrims.com
    A small amount of oil seeping onto the stansions (sliders), and seen by horizontal lines of dust caught by the oil mostly on the backside of the stansion, is normal.

Non stop dripping while riding means ther is probably some dirt stuck in the seal that can be cleaned by removing the lowers wiping the seals clean (and changing the oil while you are doing all that).

It's very rare a seal is torn they usually last for many years of use. But do require maintenance and oil change for best smooth performance.