MTBR member-at-large

Quality Fork for 24" Wheel

Does anyone know where I can find a high quality, after-market front suspension fork for a 24" tire (kids bike)?

If, not, what would be the draw backs to using a short-travel (80-90mm) 26" front fork (disc brake only), say like a Rock Shox Sid with a 24" wheel.

FYI, the frame is a 2009 Kona Kula 2-4 (which I'm looking for too) which is a disc only frame.

Thanks in advance!

-Greg
    Better at pedaling than typing

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ThornPatch
    Does anyone know where I can find a high quality, after-market front suspension fork for a 24" tire (kids bike)?

If, not, what would be the draw backs to using a short-travel (80-90mm) 26" front fork (disc brake only), say like a Rock Shox Sid with a 24" wheel.

FYI, the frame is a 2009 Kona Kula 2-4 (which I'm looking for too) which is a disc only frame.

Thanks in advance!

-Greg
    Your best bet is a short travel 26" fork...find an older SID spaced down to 63mm of travel. The fork is light and the dual air allows it to be adjusted right for lighter riders. You'll want to run lighter oil in the damper as well. It will lift the front end up a smidge but you can always flip the stem to get the handle bars down again (like many 29ers do).

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Measure the axle crown distance on the current fork. You may find that the so-called 24" fork on there now is actually just a 26" fork. This is what I found when recently replacing a 50mm 24" Suntour SR fork with a 26" Mag21. Indeed the 50mm 24" Suntour SR fork was only about 30mm shorter axle to crown than a FoxF100RL, so the frame would have worked fine even with a 100mm 26" fork up front.
    Last edited by TigWorld; 06-23-2010 at 04:45 PM.

What could go wrong ...
    put a 26" fork and wheel on it and start a new trend ... the 46er
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    put a 26" fork and wheel on it and start a new trend ... the 46er
    Not a new trend...a 26 year old Trend

http://mombat.org/1984_Cannondale.htm

What could go wrong ...
    Thanks for the link mtnbiker72 ... but since one would be hard pressed to find anyone riding one of those I wouldnt call it a trend ... interesting none the less
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me