banned
    Jan 2012

(Q) Manitou SX-R 2001, Reshimming the TPC damper?

Can this be done?
    Last edited by Wasmachineman NL; 12-05-2012 at 02:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have been looking for an aftermarket lockout circuit for my 2 2001 Manitou SXR forks for years. The Manitou MARS has one in it that fits the SXR but the SXR anti-bob system is very hard if not impossible to find. Anybody who's seen one please let me know.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    I thought the SXR from 01 had a a lockout, Or am I confusing this fork with another year/model?
    I don't think the SX ever came with a lockout. I think it was just available separately from Manitou. This is from the 01 SX Service Manual:

"Lok-Out System Kit P/N 85-8989
    Lok-Outs are available for all SX models. By turning the knob 1/4 turn CCW, exposing the green sticker; the front fork will have regular TPC suspension. By turning the knob 1/4 turn CW, exposing the red sticker; the fork will be locked out. A safety blow off valve will open under extreme conditions to allow some movement. To adjust the compression damping when not using the Lok-Out. Remove the compression damping assembly from the top of the right leg. Adjust the setscrew, located in the valve seat, in to increase the damping and out to reduce the compression damping.
    Try adjusting one 1/2 turn at a time."

Of course I don't have to tell you that having the part number is one thing--finding old Manitou parts is another.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the info, Chris.
    Does anyone know if the TPC damper can be custom shimmed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i been looking for that damper for years.best bet is to get a old fork that has one that fits and swap it out...maybe an old mars fork.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Don't know if it's of any use to you or if it'll work on the 2001 SX-R but I recently bought a brand new old stock Compression Adjuster with Lockout for a 2004 Skareb, Part # 85-5559.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21242

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Don't know if it's of any use to you or if it'll work on the 2001 SX-R but I recently bought a brand new old stock Compression Adjuster with Lockout for a 2004 Skareb, Part # 85-5559.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21242

these parts are sometimes interchangeable...can you measure the length of this part?
    Does your fork have 30mm stancion tubes?
    Just wondering if it would work.
    Do you have a pic of the Mars/SXR damper?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    these parts are sometimes interchangeable...can you measure the length of this part?
    Does your fork have 30mm stancion tubes?
    Just wondering if it would work.
    Do you have a pic of the Mars/SXR damper?
    144mm from the underside of the lip that's below the hex head.

Stanchions are 28.6mm

The Skareb has TPC damper.

CRC has plenty of old Manitou parts for other forks too and there's a couple of lockout dampers for 02 to 07 Axle/Six/South forks on ebay too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Manitou-Lock-Out-damper-kit-02-07-Axel-Six-South-/221088931443

(Q) Manitou SX-R 2001, No lockout?-manitou-skareb-compression-adjuster-lockout-85-5559.jpg
    Last edited by cobba; 12-07-2012 at 06:29 AM.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Also, does anyone know if I can mod the SX into a MARS? A SX with air spring, that would be insane.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    Also, does anyone know if I can mod the SX into a MARS? A SX with air spring, that would be insane.
    Sorry, no. The internal stanchion finish won't be good enough to seal and you won't have the step needed for the air-piston stop.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve