mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Putting lockout or damping on Tora 289

I did a search trying to find some information on if it was an option to add the lockout or motion control to a Tora 289 fork. I'm happy with the fork, and upgraded it to the stiff spring so that it is more appropriate for my Clydesdale status (I'm about 240 lbs and 6'3") the stock u-turn spring was just too soft for me.

Any insight on the lockout or motion control would be much appreciated.

Former Bike Wrench
    http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Motio.../dp/B003RLHPES

You have rebound damping on the 289, this will give you compression damping and a lock out

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Motio.../dp/B003RLHPES

You have rebound damping on the 289, this will give you compression damping and a lock out
    Is that all that is required? Just order that $50 part and install it? Can I add the lockout lever up on the handlebar or is that overkill?

Also, what is the difference between the one you posted in the link above and this one?

http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-PopLo...4038688&sr=1-9

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You might want to consider upgrading to a tora solo air fork. The air spring will easily adjust to handle 240lbs, I promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman
    You might want to consider upgrading to a tora solo air fork. The air spring will easily adjust to handle 240lbs, I promise.
    I was actually decently content with the stock spring, I just got the firm in yesterday ( and haven't ridden it yet) but I like the feel of it. I'll get a feel for it and go from there. I already have this fork...

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman
    Tora Solo Air no longer exists...you have to get a Recon Silver TK Solo Air that costs over $300 then spend another $50 for the MoCo damper ($80 if you want Pop-Loc)

Former Bike Wrench
    Yes, you can get the Pop-Loc version and handlebar remote if you want. Other than it costs more, you also lose the ability to adjust the compression damping. It is basically On/Off and IMO not needed. Frankly the MoCo Tora damper works well enough that I rarely used the lockout feature.

As far as all you need, just some oil to go along with it (5w Maxima from your local Motorcycle shop). Just pull the top cap, drain the old oil, fill damper leg with 130cc's of new oil, and install the compression damper.