mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Putting a 170mm fork on a max 160mm frame

I have a 2009 Yeti 575 that I bought used and it currently has a 130mm Fox float RLC on it. The bike comes stock with 140mm for the low end build and 160mm for the high end build I believe. Either way, the max fork travel length as specified by Yeti is 160mm.

I wanted to stick a 160mm fork on my bike I'm having a really hard time finding a 160mm fork for this bike without buying brand new which I can't afford. This is mostly because it needs 1 1/8" steerer tube.

I found a good deal on a 2012 Rockshox Lyrik 170mm which I'm wondering if I can use or if it's a bad idea. At first I wasn't even thinking about doing it but then read something about how it's the axle to crown measurement that really matters and not so much the travel. From what I'm able to tell, the Lyrik has the same axle to crown measurement of 545mm as a 160mm Fox Float.

Does that mean I would have the same geometry change as if I put a 160mm Fox float on it?

I actually like the idea of 170mm travel as my local trails (Whistler/Squamish/North Shore) get pretty rough going down.

EDIT: Just realized I read the specs for the 160mm Lyrik and the 170mm has an axle to crown length of 555mm Is it still doable?

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    I have a 2009 Yeti 575 that I bought used and it currently has a 130mm Fox float RLC on it. The bike comes stock with 140mm for the low end build and 160mm for the high end build I believe. Either way, the max fork travel length as specified by Yeti is 160mm.

I wanted to stick a 160mm fork on my bike I'm having a really hard time finding a 160mm fork for this bike without buying brand new which I can't afford. This is mostly because it needs 1 1/8" steerer tube.

I found a good deal on a 2012 Rockshox Lyrik 170mm which I'm wondering if I can use or if it's a bad idea. At first I wasn't even thinking about doing it but then read something about how it's the axle to crown measurement that really matters and not so much the travel. From what I'm able to tell, the Lyrik has the same axle to crown measurement of 545mm as a 160mm Fox Float.

Does that mean I would have the same geometry change as if I put a 160mm Fox float on it?

I actually like the idea of 170mm travel as my local trails (Whistler/Squamish/North Shore) get pretty rough going down.

EDIT: Just realized I read the specs for the 160mm Lyrik and the 170mm has an axle to crown length of 555mm Is it still doable?
    Just replace the baseplate on the air spring with one of these and you're good to go.

Bikeman RockShox 2007-2013 Lyrik Base Plate Solo Air 160mm

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Your bottom bracket height is going to skyrocket. Just be prepared for that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I run a fox 160/36 on my 575 and love it. I do agree straight steer tube is hard to find now. Took me a long time. Also consider a 150. May be easier to find in 1 1/8.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    Just replace the baseplate on the air spring with one of these and you're good to go.

Bikeman RockShox 2007-2013 Lyrik Base Plate Solo Air 160mm
    How easy is this to install for someone who has never opened up a fork before?

mtbr member
    Buy some good snap ring pliers, safety glasses, syn motor oil (to replace splash oil), slick honey (for air piston lube), and watch the easy to follow vids from RS and you'll be surprised at how easy it really is:
    07 - ROCK SHOX Solo Air Service-SRAM.mov - YouTube

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you can follow directions and have the correct tools, it's fairly easy.

RockShox Lower Leg Removal - YouTube

RockShox Solo Air Service - YouTube

RockShox Lower Leg Install - YouTube

But if you were planning on having the used fork serviced at a shop, just have them replace the existing 170mm base plate with the 160 when putting it back together.