mtbr member
    Sep 2013

ProPedal lever restricted by brace... Design flaw?

Hello community, this is my very first post to for forum, I have always found great help with my cycling quandaries here, so now its time to post my own question.

My Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 has an RP-3 float with a propedal option. the little blue lever's action is restricted by the brace that holds the shock. I dont feel the lever "clicking" or resting into place when i move it back and forth, it just flops around between the limit of the brace. Is this a design flaw? do i need to modify the lever so it clears?

Please see photo
    Many thanks in advanceProPedal lever restricted by brace... Design flaw?-img_20130720_161132.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can you flip the lever over the top (clockwise)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I could remove the lever and then replace it above the bracket, but then I would only have access to the settings on that one area, eg. (stuck on or off)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That seems a little weird. Does the position change when you're sitting with your weight on the bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What model year frame? Was this the original shock? I Googled the Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 and saw many equipped w/ the Float R & RP23.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I dont think my posistion changes when i am sitting and i wiggle the lever

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am not sure if it is the original shock. perhaps it isnt. I just dont get how its supposed to work, or if it is or is not working.

What could go wrong ...
    why dont you just flip the shock over ... place the top of the shock up instead of down or would it hit the rocker arm
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by hamhockracer View Post
    Hello community, this is my very first post to for forum, I have always found great help with my cycling quandaries here, so now its time to post my own question.

My Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 has an RP-3 float with a propedal option. the little blue lever's action is restricted by the brace that holds the shock. I dont feel the lever "clicking" or resting into place when i move it back and forth, it just flops around between the limit of the brace. Is this a design flaw? do i need to modify the lever so it clears?

Please see photo
    Many thanks in advance
    You can fix this. Its a little bit complicated, but you seem like the kinda guy that might only slightly break everything in the attempt..

1) Take some allen wrenches and unbolt/remove the lower shock bolts.
    2) The lower part of the shock will now be loose and you should be able to move it so that you can..
    3) Rotate the PP lever so that the lever points upwards towards the shock's shaft. Early RP3's will allow the lever to spin all the way around, but its only active when pointing towards the other end of the shock. I believe it needs to be turned clockwise as you look at it. Don't force it. It will be smooth and easy to move.
    4) With the lever in the right orientation, you should feel some noticeable clicks when PP is "on" and "off"
    5) re-attach the slower shock bolts

Done!
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Every picture I've seen of the ETSX-50's online show the pro-pedal lever in a different orientation to yours, so I'd assume that the shock on the bike is not the original unit.
    Name:  p3pb609604.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  68.2 KB
    Just do as ohpossum says, and you won't have any further issues.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think you just need to un-bolt the shock and flip the lever facing up. If you now have 3 PP positions you have the older RP3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Gosh everyone! thanks for the help, I flipped the lever over with success! I can now enjoy the fun that is pro-pedal. everyone who helped out has now won a prize...