Progressive Titanium Springs - Deflection

I'm currently on the market for a used Ti spring and an older 275x2.25 Progressive spring has caught my eye, yet I've also started thinking about it's possible deflection while in use.

It looks to me that since it has less loops it may be prone to an easier deflection and potentially rubbing the shock body when compressed. Or would it be the opposite?

I'm not sure on the history behind these "less looped" springs as I've also spotted a few Progressive that look just the same as the rest, but could they have figured out that they didn't work as well as the rest, or were they just used with shorter than X stroke shocks, making it a non-issue with such a short stroke?

Does anyone have experience with these?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    These can definitely deflect and rub the shock. In my experience using these, those with fewer/thinner coils will do this more. A shorter stroke probably minimizes this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    These can definitely deflect and rub the shock. In my experience using these, those with fewer/thinner coils will do this more. A shorter stroke probably minimizes this problem.
    Thanks, for the the reply.

I haven't asked the seller what's its freelength, since I'd be using it on a 2.75 but it will be a problem almost for sure.

They're dirt light but it's probably not worth it to end up with a shock full of scratches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i'm using one of the progressive spring, 300lb
    previously had it on a 7.5x2" rc4, works fine.
    used it on a 7.875x2.25 x fusion vector hlr, and it buffed the shock body quite a bit from just 5mins of carpark test...

LDH
    mtbr member
    my son runs that same spring on his 2.75" stroke dhx, we just put a loop of the soft side of velcro around the shock body to prevent any rub marks.

Quote Originally Posted by LDH
    my son runs that same spring on his 2.75" stroke dhx, we just put a loop of the soft side of velcro around the shock body to prevent any rub marks.
    That sounds like a good idea!
    Did you put it more to the middle of the shock of the body, or more to the top?
    Could you show a picture?

LDH
    mtbr member
    a 1" wide strip of velcro wrapped around the shock body at the shaft end will be fine.

No known cure
    This is the result of running a Progressive 350X2.25 Ti spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    There is a reason they dont sell the ti springs anymore.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Needle bearing on the preload ring. Problem solved