mtbr member

Progressive Suspension 5th element air setup

I have an older (2004-2006....not sure what year?) Santa Cruz superlight with the 5th element air shock on the rear. Has 2 chambers, and from what I understand the front for main spring pressure and rear for the platform.

I found the progressive set up guide online for the shock, but I cant find any tables or info for recommended starting points on pressure based on weight. I see it for the bullit and heckler online, but no superlight. Anyone have any info on these figures or experience with the shock? I am about 165 lbs.

also catalog says the main chamber can be from 75-125 psi, but I cant seem to get it to take more than about 50 or 60 psi??

Setup Guide

Quickstart setting chart

mtbr member
    Getting the sag right with the air spring is step one (edit: manual says you should always pressurize the IFP chamber first, so I would add about 70psi to the IFP for starters). If you have too much IFP pressure it will be hard to accurately set the sag, because of the firm threshold.

The IFP pressure setting is kinda like a modern propedal setting. The suspension will become a little less active as you increase pressure, but will have a firmer threshold.

Haven't used one for awhile but thought the IFP pressure was supposed to be between 50-120psi, main spring is set by sag. I would start with your riding weight +/- 20 psi and work from there.
    Last edited by joshdurston; 04-25-2010 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Josh.......coincedentaly enough my name is Josh too by the way.

mtbr member
    It's hard to make air pressure recommendations for a rear shock because it's totally dependent on the frame, which is why Progressive didn't put that in the manual. Put 60psi or so in the SPV chamber, then add air to the main chamber so you get ~25% sag. Ride it and fiddle from there as seems appropriate.