Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16

    Progressive Suspension 5th air spherical bushing

    Guys,
    Need to replace the lower/rear spherical bushing on my 5th Air Progressive Suspension shock.

    CANNOT FIND PLEASE ADVISE USA source only.


    Can anyone give me some real part numbers or sizes? I have a Santa Cruz Blur.
    or advice or even sell me parts?
    Help please!
    Last edited by scblur; 03-09-2008 at 09:02 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by scblur
    Guys,
    Need to replace the lower/rear spherical bushing on my 5th Air Progressive Suspension shock.

    CANNOT FIND PLEASE ADVISE USA source only.


    Can anyone give me some real part numbers or sizes? I have a Santa Cruz Blur.
    or advice or even sell me parts?
    Help please!

    No idea?

  3. #3
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,238
    This is the only place I know that still stocks the hardware and they're located in the UK

    http://www.tftunedshox.com/progressi...ingythings.htm

    I've called progressive tech support and they have been very helpful. They sent me a spread sheet that contained all their application information.....so maybe they will give you the source of the spherical bearing. If you have the ability to remove it I can source it for you from one of our bearing distributors.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    This is the only place I know that still stocks the hardware and they're located in the UK

    http://www.tftunedshox.com/progressi...ingythings.htm

    I've called progressive tech support and they have been very helpful. They sent me a spread sheet that contained all their application information.....so maybe they will give you the source of the spherical bearing. If you have the ability to remove it I can source it for you from one of our bearing distributors.

    My lower/rear SBearing is out as it (plastic?) disintergrated. Found during bearing inspection.
    If you have a size or number I am willing to buy. The priced in the UK sound good till you realize its in Pounds Sterling. That ~2x in dollars. But still cheaper than a new Fox shock. Much cheaper.
    Months ago I was at the Santa Cruz site... I thought whats up with giving the 5th Air away at $99??? Now I wish I bought one. But really the shock is in perfect shape, except for the SB.
    As for sourcing it, every place I look has nothing in a size anywhere near. I am wondering if the effect would be if I just put a straight (non spherical) machined aluminum or brass bushing in there.
    Thanks for any help.

  5. #5
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,238
    I have never run the shock but read that if you have a good one they're great but if you have a bad one then they're trouble. Sounds like you have a good performing shock. If you can post a picture or tell me if there are any markings/numbers on the bearing body....that would help. Also, what size are they? inch or metric?

    Here are a couple of websites from mfgs I have used in the past.

    http://www.aurorabearing.com/product...h/default.html

    http://www.rbcbearings.com/spherical...ings/index.htm

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I have never run the shock but read that if you have a good one they're great but if you have a bad one then they're trouble. Sounds like you have a good performing shock. If you can post a picture or tell me if there are any markings/numbers on the bearing body....that would help. Also, what size are they? inch or metric?

    Here are a couple of websites from mfgs I have used in the past.

    http://www.aurorabearing.com/product...h/default.html

    http://www.rbcbearings.com/spherical...ings/index.htm

    No numbers as it is disintegrated, literally. I will have calipers and dim it tomorrow.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ultra Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,163
    It's a custom made bearing, not available in any catalog. The plastic ones were the first, but were quickly replaces with an all steel one because they were found to be defective. The vendor did not work with us on making them right, so we found a new one. The steel ones are many many times better. Have you tried calling PSI?

    BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

  8. #8
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,738
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    It's a custom made bearing, not available in any catalog.
    I have found 3/8" spherical plain radial bearings, but I can't say if they're the right size or not. The ID is, but I can't say for the housing and width.

    Igus has some in their catalog, but they're plastic.
    Check my Site

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16
    I decided to just buy from Tim in the UK. Fairly painless. A bit pricey, but if these are steel they will last longer than the plastic I just destroyed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •