mtbr member

Progressive 5th Element CVT air

Anyone who has this shock, post up and let me know how you like it. I've read the mixed reviews on this site, and its gotten me scared. I have this shock on my S-Works Enduro right now, but i've only had it for 6 months. Im going out to Colorado for a week this month, and im terrified that its going to blow up and ruin my trip. Any thoughts???

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by raceface9465
    Anyone who has this shock, post up and let me know how you like it. I've read the mixed reviews on this site, and its gotten me scared. I have this shock on my S-Works Enduro right now, but i've only had it for 6 months. Im going out to Colorado for a week this month, and im terrified that its going to blow up and ruin my trip. Any thoughts???
    It's a terrific shock with terrible reliability. Sad but true.

Damping is very, very nice. It has more of a "Race Car feel" rather than buttery smooth. That's because the SPV valve. It's completely closed in the compression circuit until you hit something big enough. It compromises a bit of traction for pedaling efficiency.

However, it's on big hits where it really shines... damn, it lands like a big cat. Rebound is impressively nice.

However, these are pretty prone to failure. Why?? I don't know. I recently rebuilt mine. But when it failed it failed just overnight... no riding involved. It got a sticky SPV valve and I had to bleed it.

If you have a riding trip, get a back-up shock (wise for each and every bike out there, not just for 5th's Airs)... as for the warranty, I wouldn't sweat it much. It's like two years from purchase IIRC. But you have to send it back to Progressive. In the mean time, get a back up.

Good Luck!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've been running one for 2 years with no problems at all.
    It's a pretty good shock in my opinion. I only prefer my Fox RP3 because it has on-the-fly adjustable platform.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I agree completely with Warp. It's a great shock. I've been riding mine for three years and still love it.

I recently had mine rebuilt by Garageworks (www.garageworkssuspension.com) in Irvine and on top of the great job they did and the improved performance of an already great shock, reliability has improved significantly.

My advice: If you can, get your shock serviced by Garageworks and/or take an extra shock on your trip, do. Don't sweat it if you can't...Chances are you'll be just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yep, been running mine for over 2 years and 3000 miles.
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006