mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Problem with Stratos Helix pro

I have a strange problem with my Stratos Helix pro shock :
    In the first 2-3 mm of travel on the shock, there is no damping. This means that my bike with a 3:1 ratio has no damping in the first 10 mm of travel.
    If I remove the shock from the bike, completely take out the preload of the steel spring, I can compress the shock these 2-3 mm before it hit's the air spring with a clicking sound and the shock stays in this position. Then I can pull the shock apart to this normal length, again with that clicking sound. I can't see any differences in this behavior when changing air pressure for the air assist. Even locking out the shock doesn't help, the first 2-3 mm of travel have no damping and no air assist.

I already "burped" the shock, no other strange noises, no leaking of oil or air, damping works fine in the rest of the stroke.

It feels like the shaft can move slightly on the piston.

Anybody that successfully disassembled and reassembled a Helix Pro?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Only time my Helix operates in such a manner is when the dampner has pulled in air but this is also accompanied by poor dampning. May want to call Stratos directly & hope to talk w/ a tech or you will get the standard " it needs a rebuild send it in".

"Excellent!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Chili
    I have a strange problem with my Stratos Helix pro shock :
    In the first 2-3 mm of travel on the shock, there is no damping. This means that my bike with a 3:1 ratio has no damping in the first 10 mm of travel.
    If I remove the shock from the bike, completely take out the preload of the steel spring, I can compress the shock these 2-3 mm before it hit's the air spring with a clicking sound and the shock stays in this position. Then I can pull the shock apart to this normal length, again with that clicking sound. I can't see any differences in this behavior when changing air pressure for the air assist. Even locking out the shock doesn't help, the first 2-3 mm of travel have no damping and no air assist.

I already "burped" the shock, no other strange noises, no leaking of oil or air, damping works fine in the rest of the stroke.

It feels like the shaft can move slightly on the piston.

Anybody that successfully disassembled and reassembled a Helix Pro?
    Yah, I work in the assembly and repair/service department of Stratos. Sounds to me like you might be low on oil, which would make a dead spot. As for the clicking, does it sound like something is hitting metal to metal?

For a quick fix (posibly temporary), unscrew the fill bolt, then try to burp it under ATF, then, while its still under oil, let the air back out. (Make sure the shock is upright as to let the air escape). Repeat a few times. Then call me in the morning.

Shocknerd's son
    Last edited by Shocknerd; 10-25-2004 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocknerd
    Yah, I work in the assembly and repair/service department of Stratos. Sounds to me like you might be low on oil, which would make a dead spot. As for the clicking, does it sound like something is hitting metal to metal?

For a quick fix (posibly temporary), unscrew the fill bolt, then try to burp it under ATF, then, while its still under oil, let the air back out. (Make sure the shock is upright as to let the air escape). Repeat a few times. Then call me in the morning.

Shocknerd's son
    Finally I had some time to serve my shock.
    First I removed the spring and drained out all old ATF, because it was mix of ATF and shock oil, just opened the bolt on top of the rebound adjuster and compressed and expanded the shock until all ATF ran out.
    Because I wasn't so happy with the abrupt remote lockout function, I removed the complete lockout unit and modified the opening in the barrel to get a smoother transition between open compression and lock out, now it is more like a real compression adjuster, remotely maneuvered by the left Gripshift handle (9 position micro adjuster).
    After assembling the lockout unit, i placed the shock in a tin can with ATF and did the "burp" procedure a couple of times, placed the shock upright and compressed it (as long as possible with 200 psi) repeated the procedure again. Finally I get out all the air but there was still a small dead spot. After placing back the spring and with high preload on the spring I repeated the "burp" procedure and the procedure recommended by Shocknerd and now the dead spot is gone, the shock works smooth all the way. Will try at the weekend how it rides in real life, but a short test ride behind the house was perfect, no dead spot, no noise and a nice transition on the remote lockout.

Thanks to Shocknerd's son for your help.

John Galt

Helix Pro rebound adjust

I thoroughly enjoy my Stratos Helix Pro, but I notice that the rebound adjust makes very little difference. Do other users feel the same, or should might my shock need a burp/rebuild? I got this shock used with a backup frame (circa 1998) I bought and the previous owner said it had been rebuilt by Stratos within the last few years. I don't have any documentation of the rebuild, but everything else seems to work very well and it holds air quite well (maybe loses 50 PSI over 2-3 weeks).

Thanks for any help...