The plough

Preview: Spinner Cargo Air Dial TX

I wrote a somewhat lengthy preview of the Spinner Cargo air Dial TX fork.

Yes, we distribute Spinner products, but I feel that I can still give a largely unbiased review since we do not accept any money from them, nor do they pay us to advertise.

I think that this fork would suit many people that are looking for a truly high end versatile AM or freeride fork at a more than reasonable price. Its an alternative to the well established brands and punches way above its price.

There is a service center in the USA as well so you can get the fork serviced if needed, and I also believe that it is possible to buy it from US based sellers, not only us - we do of course offer the best price, with the full factory warranty, however

Here is the preview: Spinner Cargo Air Dial TX.

Cheers,

V.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vmajor
    I wrote a somewhat lengthy preview of the Spinner Cargo air Dial TX fork.

Yes, we distribute Spinner products, but I feel that I can still give a largely unbiased review since we do not accept any money from them, nor do they pay us to advertise.

I think that this fork would suit many people that are looking for a truly high end versatile AM or freeride fork at a more than reasonable price. Its an alternative to the well established brands and punches way above its price.

There is a service center in the USA as well so you can get the fork serviced if needed, and I also believe that it is possible to buy it from US based sellers, not only us - we do of course offer the best price, with the full factory warranty, however

Here is the preview: Spinner Cargo Air Dial TX.

Cheers,

V.
    What about some info about the 2 Niner? And other products.Who is the U.S. distributor?
    Last edited by zarr; 08-03-2008 at 02:30 AM.

squish is good
    Looks like they knocked the weight down from previous years, 5.1 lbs is very respectable for a 34mm stanchion 150mm fork. I seem to recall previous years Cargos being over 6 lbs which put them squarely out of my weight bracket for a fork.
    Bike good, work bad.

The plough
    Alas, we have no 29" frame for testing, but I am sure that the 2 Nine is based on a 26" fork. I'll try to find out tomorrow which one it is.

I do not know who distributes Spinner forks in the USA, I just see them listed from time to time in online bike shops in the USA.

Regarding other products, we have also reviewed the Spinner Ammo 178 Axle TL fork, and I have a Spinner Aeris Sport on an XC frame. However, since I have not taken that frame and fork off-road, I cannot really review the fork. It works well on the road bumps, and the permanent threshold lockout platform aids the pedaling efficiency. Its also silly light and cheap.

There are also some positive vibes about the Spinner Enduro TX here in Taiwan, but there are no reviews that I am aware of, just user feedback. Maybe we'll get to play with it sometime later.

V.

mtbr member

Suntour Durolox

Any more info on the Suntour 120-180mm Travel adjust fork?

That thing looks sweet, a 180mm travel adjust fork under 6lbs...

The plough
    We are doing more testing, so it may take a while longer. Keep in mind that this fork seems to be a prototype, so the final product may be different. So far its very plush with a very linear spring. The travel adjust is actually 140-180mm.

Its a little flexy and after some discussions with SR Suntour they seem to be targeting this fork to the "Enduro" ie. AM riders. Thus its not a freeride fork as such... its not necessarily that miracle combo of long travel and awesome strength, so please keep your expectations within what the fork is designed for

For example, if you look closely at the photos of the Spinner Cargo Air preview, you will see that the lowers are different between the forks in terms of build and are made for different uses (Spinner Cargo is designated Freeride/DJ).

We'll try to finish the testing within the next couple of weeks.

V.

Elitest thrill junkie

Regarding other products, we have also reviewed the Spinner Ammo 178 Axle TL.
    I can't imagine why anyone would want a lockout on a 180mm travel fork. The big problem on these isn't pedal bob, it's that your front end is WAY off the ground, and that makes it difficult to impossible to climb up steep stuff without ground-looping backwards. That's why the RS 2-step models have their 2 travel settings, why the Talas has what it has, and why mazocchi uses ETA, because you have to reduce the axle to crown length on these to have a chance at climbing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

The plough
    Yes its not useful at all for trail use, but for riding up to the trails on the road, its very welcome. It makes many fun trails accessible without having to shuttle up to them.

To climb with a long fork, you need to lean as far forward as you can without losing traction at the rear to compress it and keep the front wheel on the ground.

V.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes its not useful at all for trail use, but for riding up to the trails on the road, its very welcome. It makes many fun trails accessible without having to shuttle up to them.

To climb with a long fork, you need to lean as far forward as you can without losing traction at the rear to compress it and keep the front wheel on the ground.

V.
    ???

Have you done this much or are you making this up?

Lockout on a 180mm fork to ride up the road? Why would you want that? Is 10mm of bob going to have any noticable effect when your riding a 38lb bike uphill on a road?

That "to climb with a long fork" isn't going to work when it gets too steep.

No other company is offering a lockout on a 180mm fork..why?

Lose the lockout, make sure the fork has good low and high speed damping, as well as an adjustment for bottom out. Marzocchi sacrificed the damping recently and we've seen a big backlash, and they are just now bringing it back with the 55 RC3, if you stray from the core and offer a bunch of useless (in practice) adjustments or features, you won't gain any ground.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Alas, we have no 29" frame for testing, but I am sure that the 2 Nine is based on a 26" fork. I'll try to find out tomorrow which one it is.

I do not know who distributes Spinner forks in the USA, I just see them listed from time to time in online bike shops in the USA.

Regarding other products, we have also reviewed the Spinner Ammo 178 Axle TL fork, and I have a Spinner Aeris Sport on an XC frame. However, since I have not taken that frame and fork off-road, I cannot really review the fork. It works well on the road bumps, and the permanent threshold lockout platform aids the pedaling efficiency. Its also silly light and cheap.

There are also some positive vibes about the Spinner Enduro TX here in Taiwan, but there are no reviews that I am aware of, just user feedback. Maybe we'll get to play with it sometime later.

V.
    I saw 3 different 29er forks on the Taiwan site I would like to know more about.(like are there firm & x-firm springs for the coil spring shocks, and can you get repacement parts).Need more info.

The plough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    ???

Have you done this much or are you making this up?
    Yes I have done this much. One, to one and a half hour slog uphill, a lot of it spent on 22/32.

Lockout on a 180mm fork to ride up the road? Why would you want that? Is 10mm of bob going to have any noticable effect when your riding a 38lb bike uphill on a road?
    You are forgetting about sag. Also, if you ride hardtails and road bikes then you can clearly appreciate the effect rigidity has on your ability to transfer power to the road.

That "to climb with a long fork" isn't going to work when it gets too steep.
    Of course it will not, hence the short travel and adjustable travel forks, but it will allow you to stay in the seat for longer and not hike-a-bike. Try it, it works.

No other company is offering a lockout on a 180mm fork..why?
    Because its not that useful outside of the specific circumstances and because of the technology/features/cost variables.

Lose the lockout, make sure the fork has good low and high speed damping, as well as an adjustment for bottom out. Marzocchi sacrificed the damping recently and we've seen a big backlash, and they are just now bringing it back with the 55 RC3, if you stray from the core and offer a bunch of useless (in practice) adjustments or features, you won't gain any ground.
    I completely agree with this as I firmly believe that effective compression damping makes or breaks the fork (...the rider actually ).Yes the T-SPUL compression damping is highly effective, however the Spinner Ammo 178 is a budget fork so it does not allow for adjustment of low and high speed compression.

V.

The plough
    Regarding the springs, I do not know. I have asked, so as soon as I hear back I'll let you know. Replacement parts are available.

V.

The plough
    OK I have the information from Spinner:

Spinner 2 Nine RLC - based on Spinner Enduro
    Spinner 2 Nine LC - based on Spinner Enduro
    Spinner 2 Nine S - based on Spinner Alfanso

Three spring weights are available: soft, standard, hard

To limit the thread derailment, you are welcome to direct any further questions to the Cycle Taiwan Shop customer service

Of course, feel free to keep posting here as I am checking the thread and there may be other people that are interested in the same information.

Cheers,

V.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Looks like they knocked the weight down from previous years, 5.1 lbs...
    And then they added a steerer tube that weights three quarters of a pound.

_MK

mtbr member
    I have to agree. Lose the lockout on a 180mm fork. Completely useless. Even if it only adds 10 cents to the MSRP I would still rather not have it.