mtbr member
    May 2011

Precise digital pressure gauge worth it?

Been noticing ppl posting up the recommended pressure from fox ird app, figures are quoted to the nearest psi, in reality, it is worth it getting it to the nearest PSI?

Off my regular shock pump i only read off to the nearest 5psi, i also know how the reading, the shock pump gauge gives me, feels.

moaaar shimz
    No.

PMK
    mtbr member
    The best method is to buy a replacement gage for around 10 15 dollars. Get one where the PSI range is about in the middle to upper 3/4 of the movement. Also, up the gage face size. 3 inch would be good provided you don't pack it. This will give better resolution and if it is a quality gage, more accurate reading than the inexpensive gage on an oem pump.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Are there any pumps with digital gauges. Because it you just use any gauge to check fork/shock psi, you'll just let all the air out.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Are there any pumps with digital gauges. Because it you just use any gauge to check fork/shock psi, you'll just let all the air out.
    I have a pump where the original gage was removed due to damage, and a replacement installed. Not digital but works far better.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

I've found that the cheap digital gauges are not all that accurate when the battery gets old. A comparably priced mechanical gauge will maintain accuracy.

And YES, minor differences in air pressure make a big difference in the performance of the bike. If you're the sort of rider that has to have everything PERFECT, then by all means strive for single-digit accuracy when airing up your tires.

If you're more interested in getting on the trail quickly than wasting time tuning your bike, then don't bother with a good gauge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    I've found that the cheap digital gauges are not all that accurate when the battery gets old. A comparably priced mechanical gauge will maintain accuracy.

And YES, minor differences in air pressure make a big difference in the performance of the bike. If you're the sort of rider that has to have everything PERFECT, then by all means strive for single-digit accuracy when airing up your tires.

If you're more interested in getting on the trail quickly than wasting time tuning your bike, then don't bother with a good gauge.
    I think we're talking suspension here.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT