mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Porsche Bike fork problem!

I have a Porsche S bike with Votec GSIII forks on it. I bought it for my wife and the front forks are shot. How do I rebuild these? Any ideas? Yep, Im a newbie! Thanks in advance!

Maybe if you speak German their website might help? www.votec.com So you get the Carrera and she gets the bicycle?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I wish I could give you advice but I can't. Your question interested me because I lived in Switzerland for five years and there was a dealer nearby who sold Votec bikes but I never saw many around. I did a web search on Votec and found their home page. All their current bikes appear to have Fox, Marzocchi or Manitou forks on them. So it would appear that they no longer make forks but I may be wrong. How long have you had the bike? Could you take it back? If it is reasonably old you may be better off getting a "new" last years model fork for it. Let us know what travel it has, what type of brakes are on it and what it is used for and we could possibly recommend something at a good price.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Guys. I will let you know. I have a Porsche FS and the wife has the S. I would have no problem just putting on a different set of forks if possible. Im open for any decent used ones that someone may have. It is the small 19"(I think) frame so Im assuming the travel is short. The brakes are Magura Hydrostop. If I get new forks can I use my triple clamps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carrerax
    Thanks Guys. I will let you know. I have a Porsche FS and the wife has the S. I would have no problem just putting on a different set of forks if possible. Im open for any decent used ones that someone may have. It is the small 19"(I think) frame so Im assuming the travel is short. The brakes are Magura Hydrostop. If I get new forks can I use my triple clamps?
    What I was getting at, is are your brakes on the rim or are they disc brakes? Also the size of the frame will have no bearing on the fork travel. Women who ride small downhill bikes will use the same long travel forks as men. I can not comment on the Porsche bikes as I have had no experience with them and I don't know what type of bike it is. Is it a hardtail (no back suspension) or does it have a rear shock. The frame will have been designed for a certain travel length and going too far away from that will upset the bikes geometry.

Most of the more popular modern forks will have a single crown so you would not use the Votec clamps. I remember their design. Mostly forks made for more extreme riding have triple crowns.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My bike is a Porsche FS that has full suspension and disk brakes. The wifes just has front suspension with caliper type brakes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Most of those votec forks were elastomer forks, so there really isnt much too them, but the risk of bushings and internals going to crap is pretty high due to lack of real lubrication. Most likely the elastomers have broken down and need replacing, and many times you can use elastomers for other forks, but you have to mix and match and basically have a big stock to work from to find what is "just right".

I'd highly suggest saving up for a new fork, although "fixing" the votec may not be very difficult, but finding elastomers may be difficult and in the end there is stuff these days that will perform far better for not a whole lot of money.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

You mean you bought Porsche brand name bikes even though you never actually bought a Porsche? That's crazy...I can see getting suckered into the brand if you thought there was some actual connection, but otherwise it's just crazy...good luck otherwise!
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Interesting article. Boy $4500 is very steep for that FS bike.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...s/1276806.html

Here are more detailed pics of the bike http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecano...7594124429815/

aka Dick Dangle

bikefool

You sound like a real nice guy not. all he ask was a question, not a a$$ chew .

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    You mean you bought Porsche brand name bikes even though you never actually bought a Porsche? That's crazy...I can see getting suckered into the brand if you thought there was some actual connection, but otherwise it's just crazy...good luck otherwise!
    Actually, I have a 1970 911t (that was my first car back in 1982) and i just sold a 2000 911 with GT3 aerokit and full carbon fiber with Cahampion 19's and full race sspension. I was into bikes way back and have gotten out of it many years ago. I bought these for my wife and I to have and ride with my daighters. I didnt pay $4500 for the FS. I got it used several years later. . I just thought that that they were really cool bikes when they came out and now I can afford one since they are cheaper. Sorry that Im not a 20y/o fully into Mountain bikes. i just came here for some help. In fact, I was into BMX and then muontainbiking when it first started. Have you ever heard of Bob Haro or Stuart Thompson? Well, I used to race with them back in the 80's. Anyway, thanks to those of you that are helping. Mark

Whoaohohohoh
    I am 95% sure that the headset diameter on that is between a 1inch and a 1 and 1/8. You are never going to find another fork to put into that frame. I doubt there is anything on the market that will get you around this problem.

I would definately go ahead and measure and double check this, but I am pretty sure this is the case.

Actually, I have a 1970 911t (that was my first car back in 1982) and i just sold a 2000 911 with GT3 aerokit and full carbon fiber with Cahampion 19's and full race sspension. I was into bikes way back and have gotten out of it many years ago. I bought these for my wife and I to have and ride with my daighters. I didnt pay $4500 for the FS. I got it used several years later. . I just thought that that they were really cool bikes when they came out and now I can afford one since they are cheaper. Sorry that Im not a 20y/o fully into Mountain bikes. i just came here for some help. In fact, I was into BMX and then muontainbiking when it first started. Have you ever heard of Bob Haro or Stuart Thompson? Well, I used to race with them back in the 80's. Anyway, thanks to those of you that are helping. Mark

Sorry, but the car-branded bikes are usually very poor choices; although from what I can find on the spec on the Porsche bikes they did seem to have some nice features although overpriced (and not anywhere near the best among bikes as they are among cars). No reason for me to be a jerk about it, though (and I'm no 20 year old either so really have no excuse). I hope Woahohohohoh is wrong about the head tube size, the little bit I did find about the bike it does seem to use a 1-1/8" headset so if you can't figure out how to service the fork you should be able to replace it easily enough. Good luck.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you have a 1.5" head tube try using a FSA Orbit Z 1.5 to 1-1/8 headset I own two Intense 6.6's (One for the wife) and the factory recommended these for their racing team as this head set has the tight tolerances they need. A bonus is that they are made in Germany - so that should sooth your purist soul I also have to agree that replacing the front fork may be the best option as you may spend between 100-200 on a rebuild kit and you could find some real nice last years model zoki forks for that..

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Wink Porsche S Votec Repair

I have a Porsche S bike with Votec GSIII forks on it. I bought it for my wife and the front forks are shot. How do I rebuild these? Any ideas? Yep, Im a newbie! Thanks in advance!
    I am having the same issues with my Votecs, so rather than post a new thread, can you tell me how this whole repair issue concluded? Did you find the elastomers, or switched out the forks? Since this is a rather impractical bike, but in excellent original condition, it would be good to keep, especially for the price I paid for it..I am up in the Boone area of North Carolina, so does anyone know of a competent repair shop in this area that can tackle this problem? Thanks...

Captain Underpants
    Actually, I have a 1970 911t (that was my first car back in 1982) and i just sold a 2000 911 with GT3 aerokit and full carbon fiber with Cahampion 19's and full race sspension.
    The T of that era (70-73) is known for being rock solid and good for up to 250K without a rebuild. Sadly, the same cannot be said of the "E" and "S" models.

I worked on a few of those back in the day. My Fav is still the 1973 911S and the 2.7 RS.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Reference pointer to Votec fork repair resource

Hey all - I thought it would be useful to post in this thread that Jurgen Steiner, an ex-Votec owner/designer, has his own company now and he has a variety of upgrades and parts for the old Votec forks.

Hunt around on his site starting near http://www.steinerdesign.net/index.php?mcair_gabel

(Google translate is your friend, although it struggles with a lot of the technical terms)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For anybody that cares, the Porsche S and FS Votec frames are the standard head tube size and if you remove the Votec fork races you can install 1 1/8" threadless head sets and any modern fork will work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    i have a copy of the service manual if your interested... it has exploded-view diagrams and details on all assembly specs. I have a 1998 Bike-S... there is a guy in Malibu California that rebuilt the voted fork on mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hello Huuligan,

I just got new elastomers and reassembled the front fork. It is now very hard and no shock. The old elastomers were so worn out and came out all crumbled Im not sure if I got it back together correctly or not. Do you have diagrams on how this goes together you could email? Any help would be greatly appreciated.