mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Poor Newb- '07 Tora vs. '04 Pilot SL

Hi,

I'm trying to get back into riding after about 7 years. I have my OG 1996 Trek 7000 with XTR brakes and Mavic rims- that's it. I blew my OG Rock Shox Quad 21 the other day and now only have about $200- $225 to spend on a new shok. I know how to search, but my specific question is:

2007 Rock Shox Tora 302 U-Turn 85mm-130mm - $200 or a NEW 2004 Rock Shox Pilot SL 80mm- $206.

I ride mostly XC with little rocky downhill sections. I don't want to go over 80mm of travel cause I was told it will mess up my steering geometry (older bike was designed to fit smaller shocks). But with the tora it would sit at 85mm and when I come into some nice downhill sections, I could crank it to 130mm.

PLEASE help out a OG Newb- this new technology is crazy. Who knew people would be riding Full suspension for XC. haha

Is dang happy!
    The tora is a better fork but I am not sure that frame will take the pounding of a downhill section.

I converted a 7000 to a Singlespeed and run a rigid fork on it and although it has taken a beating, I can tell it is flexing all over the place, no gusset on the headtube and lite tubes may spell trouble down the trail if you push it.

That model of the Tora is a bit heavy and you can get the lighter 318 for
    $10 more here

A Real Winner.
    Manitou R6 Comp for $200 NIB. PM me if you are interested. While the Tora is day and night better than the Pilot, they are both 4 and a half pound forks.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    The tora is a better fork but I am not sure that frame will take the pounding of a downhill section.

I converted a 7000 to a Singlespeed and run a rigid fork on it and although it has taken a beating, I can tell it is flexing all over the place, no gusset on the headtube and lite tubes may spell trouble down the trail if you push it.

That model of the Tora is a bit heavy and you can get the lighter 318 for
    $10 more here
    Thanks Mr. Doom! I ordered that sucker today and it'll be here tomorrow!!

I couldn't find any info on the R6 Manitou? You don't mean the R7, do you? I'm not sure if those would work anyway, I'm running V-Brakes. I'm not to worried about the weight. If I get to the point where a pound of weight makes a difference, I'll be buying a new bike.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Last edited by SoCal Life; 10-31-2006 at 08:01 PM.

club très grand de VTT
    SoCal Life,

Which fork did you order? I hope you went with the Tora. Let us know how you get on...

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, I got the Tora 318 U-Turn. I'll let you know how it goes.

A Real Winner.
    ah yes, I meant the R7. It was a typo. You're right though, my R7 comp doesn't have V mounts.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    I set up a mid to late 90's Trek 930 with a 100mm pilot fork and other than slightly slower steering it ran great. That'll be cool to have 130mm for downhill and 80 fork regular riding. Would you let me know how the fork feels because I'm interested in that fork.

Happy Riding