mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Plunger vs shim stack?

Anyone care to enlighten me on the differences and advantages of either?

Specifically comparing the Marzocchi RC3 EVO to the RC3 EVO2 in the 2013 55.

Thanks.

moaaar shimz
    Actually I did a big more of digging and found out the RC3 EVO V2 does not have shimmed rebound piston even though Marzocchi claims it does, it only has a checkvalve and a nicer plunger.

Here is a pic of the V2 rebound (taken by werwurm and posted on mtb-news.de forum)

V1 rebound (same as RC2 and RC3 non evo)

Source: Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo Shim Stack umbauen... - Seite 4 - MTB-News.de - IBC

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Care to elaborate on the benefits of shim vs plunger?

What?
    Shimmed rebound gives you a high speed rebound circuit. What it does is speed up the rebound speed when deep into the stroke, allowing the fork to return from deep impacts without packing up. If you dont have it, your rebound setting will always have a pretty big compromise in performance. Personally, I dont own a fork without a shimmed rebound damper, and I would never buy one. Most top of the line forks (and all manitou forks) have it. Marzocchi is the only hold out. Not really sure why.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    ...the RC3 EVO V2 does not have shimmed rebound piston even though Marzocchi claims it does, it only has a checkvalve and a nicer plunger.
    According to the Marzocchi website it's a new rebound piston with bypass shims circuit, not a shimmed rebound piston...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pas de Dopage View Post
    According to the Marzocchi website it's a new rebound piston with bypass shims circuit, not a shimmed rebound piston...
    Every single shimmed rebound piston that I have seen is "rebound piston with bypass shims circuit". There is LSR freebleed (usually adjustable) and HSR bypass shims circuit. So it should be exactly the same as a shimmed rebound piston.