mtbr member

Please help me choose...Duke XC or Pilot XC

Hey Guys,

I currently have an Airborne Ti hardtail with a Duke XC w/U-turn fork and 63-108mm adjustable travel. I added a stiffer spring, one heavier than stock.

Of all surprises, my wife bought me one of those closeout Airborne Al hardtails that came with a Pilot XC fork. The Pilot has air assist but max pressure is 50, I had it to 35 and easily bottomed it in the yard.

My question is...Is the Duke a better fork for my application? I ride fast XC, lots or rocks/roots, and I'm 185lbs. I think I know the answer.

Thanks for any help.
    Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention...The Duke is at least 2 years old, the Pilot is new.
    Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT

mtbr member
    Any experiences with these appreciated.
    Lou
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT

ballbuster

I would say Duke

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    Any experiences with these appreciated.
    Lou
    Duke is a higher end fork than Pilot. Definately lighter. Prolly stiffer too.

I rode a Duke Race for a while (dual air) and I loved how latteraly stiff it is (was). I just got an estimate for a rebuild for $250, so it is going to be retired to the beater if it still hold air when I get it back.

The downside of the Duke was that it seemed to pound my wrists.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight. I was leaning towards the duke for now, especially when I blew through the travel of the Pilot when riding in the yard.
    I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on an air fork.

Thanks again.
    Lou
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    Thanks for the insight. I was leaning towards the duke for now, especially when I blew through the travel of the Pilot when riding in the yard.
    I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on an air fork.

Thanks again.
    Lou
    I had a rs pilot xc on my first bike (GF tassajara). It's a crappy fork that is not good for much more than commuting or smooth bike paths and is not really meant for mtn biking. Spend the $ and get something good. There are tons of '05's on sale that would be much better.
    Also, imho, air isn't always the best way to go. Coils are much more comfy and not too much heavier. Easier/cheaper to maintain too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimothyTucker
    Also, imho, air isn't always the best way to go. Coils are much more comfy and not too much heavier. Easier/cheaper to maintain too.
    Agreed but I'm loving my Minute 2 on my Spec. Enduro. It replaced a Vanilla 125R, the kind with the clunking noise that Fox never felt was a problem. Maybe they never test rode their own forks.
    Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT

Bike Geek

stiffer springs

I swapped the pilot sl that came with my 2003 nrs for an old duke that I had on another bike. I just bottomed out the pilot a lot, and I don't think I got more than 50 mm out of it. On the other hand, I found that you can buy stiiffer springs at bikeman.com and also use heavier weight oil. The air is just air assist, so you could just make it stiffer by changing the springs for extra firm springs with heavy oil. If I had not already switched out my fork, I would try it. Also, I hear pilot/sid/judy parts are somewhat compatible, so I may do a frankenstein thing if I can get my hands on an older sid.

So, next time I will use my Pilot on another frame, and just experiment with it. I weigh 200 lbs, and I think I could get it to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalruckus
    I swapped the pilot sl that came with my 2003 nrs for an old duke that I had on another bike. I just bottomed out the pilot a lot, and I don't think I got more than 50 mm out of it. On the other hand, I found that you can buy stiiffer springs at bikeman.com and also use heavier weight oil. The air is just air assist, so you could just make it stiffer by changing the springs for extra firm springs with heavy oil. If I had not already switched out my fork, I would try it. Also, I hear pilot/sid/judy parts are somewhat compatible, so I may do a frankenstein thing if I can get my hands on an older sid.

So, next time I will use my Pilot on another frame, and just experiment with it. I weigh 200 lbs, and I think I could get it to work.
    I thought about a stiffer spring also but I just found out that the Pilot has 28mm stanchion tubes. One more advantage for the Duke, for now anyway.
    Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT