Nat
    mtbr member

Pike w/ Luftkappe versus stock 2019 Lyrik

Have any of you ridden a Pike with Luftkappe and also a 2019 Lyrik? Can you compare how they performed?

I have a 29er Pike modded to 150mm travel with a Luftkappe. For trail use it's been fine. For DH park riding it's overwhelmed, as one might expect. Would the 2019 Lyrik (love the Boxxer red) feel that much more capable?

If you haven't actually ridden both for a first-person comparison I'd still be interested your theoretical comparison.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I just bought a 2018 Yari for cheap, gutted the damper tonight, put my Avalanche damper from my Lyrik in. Ready to rock some more. I figured it was time given how old the Lyrik is, not to mention it started creaking at the crown, figured I'd replace the lowers and bushings first, but when the crown started I just bit the bullet and did the whole thing, plus I get the debonair upgrade at the same time.

Why I centered on your post was due to you comparing it to the boxxer. This is where I do not ever feel underwhelmed on this chassis and damper, on crazy DH terrain where I'd ride a DH bike with a dual crown fork like a boxxer or 888 before, I don't come away feeling like I need a different fork. The damping on this thing is always so good that I never feel under-gunned.

I don't like trying to polish a turd as far a suspension, there are just too many variables from OEM stuff to get the right feel IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I just bought a 2018 Yari for cheap, gutted the damper tonight, put my Avalanche damper from my Lyrik in. Ready to rock some more. I figured it was time given how old the Lyrik is, not to mention it started creaking at the crown, figured I'd replace the lowers and bushings first, but when the crown started I just bit the bullet and did the whole thing, plus I get the debonair upgrade at the same time.
    A 2018 Yari has the same air spring in that the Lyrik you had previous had fitted. Its only changed for 2019.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    A 2018 Yari has the same air spring in that the Lyrik you had previous had fitted. Its only changed for 2019.
    Well, it's saying debonair, so maybe they are just using the name. My old lyrik was from 2014 or 2015, close to 4 seasons old.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Actually, i just looked and it plainly says "debonair" on the sticker on the L/H side below the fork seal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Actually, i just looked and it plainly says "debonair" on the sticker on the L/H side below the fork seal.
    Yes they rebranded the original air spring saying it already had a large negative air chamber. When you open it up it will have the same spring and seal head as the lyrik you have.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Again, doesn't seem so, air pressure is radically different after taking it for a ride. Taking around 75psi or so and before it was 58-62 or so. Something is different. Going to crack it open and see if there are any tokens in there.

My lower-travel Pivot eats the bushings much faster, but it would eat any kind of bushing/bearing faster just due to the design. Luckily they are pretty cheap.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Corollary questions:

1. What would I stand to gain by buying a 2019 Lyrik over simply upgrading my Pike to the RC2 damper plus Debonair spring?

2. If I were to upgrade to the RC2 damper and Debonair spring, would I remove the Luftkappe or could (should?) the Luftkappe stay in place?

mtbr member
    Well, it's saying debonair, so maybe they are just using the name. My old lyrik was from 2014 or 2015, close to 4 seasons old.
    Apparently the only difference between the old air spring and the update on the Lyrik/Yari is the shape of the topout bumper. So, Rick is right in that it's the same spring and seal head. It's the Pike that changed to be more like Mike. Eh, I mean Lyrik.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Apparently the only difference between the old air spring and the update on the Lyrik/Yari is the shape of the topout bumper. So, Rick is right in that it's the same spring and seal head. It's the Pike that changed to be more like Mike. Eh, I mean Lyrik.
    Thank you!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Or... Should I keep the Pike with current damper and get a Push AC3 coil upgrade?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Or... Should I keep the Pike with current damper and get a Push AC3 coil upgrade?
    I bought a Pike, didnít like it, and got the ACS3. Best decision I ever made, bike wise.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy View Post
    I bought a Pike, didnít like it, and got the ACS3. Best decision I ever made, bike wise.
    That sounds awesome, thanks.