mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Pike Race and Pike 426 differences?

Aside from the color and plastic vs alloy knobs - are there other differences between Pike Race 2005 and Pike 426? Are their maxle systems the same? Might be able to get a new old stock Pike Race for about $325 so about $150 cheaper than the cheapest 426 or 454 I can find off ebay.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhyperion
    Aside from the color and plastic vs alloy knobs - are there other differences between Pike Race 2005 and Pike 426? Are their maxle systems the same? Might be able to get a new old stock Pike Race for about $325 so about $150 cheaper than the cheapest 426 or 454 I can find off ebay.
    The maxle won't be a maxle 360, but who cares.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

I'm living the dream!
    You can get a 426 for $400 here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    The maxle won't be a maxle 360, but who cares.

_MK
    What is the difference between maxle and maxle 360 anyway?

I'm living the dream!
    With the 360 you can rotate the lever in any direction you want it after locking it in. With the standard Maxle, the lever doesn't rotate. It just stays in whatever position the threads stop at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the info and link to the 426 bargain. I suppose the 360 would be a tad easier to unlock? But otherwise - the functionality and stiffness is just the same no?. How's your Pike doin btw? The $400 426 deal is sweet but I prefer the coil version.

I'm living the dream!
    I've got the 454 Coil U-Turn and I love it! I'm 205 lbs and just added the firmest spring last week. The fork performs even better than I imagined. As far as stiffness, I'll never go back to a QR fork. The maxle 360 isn't any easier to unlock than the non-360, you just get to choose what direction the lever is pointing once you lock it in. No biggy and I think you can even buy and retrofit a 360 if you ever wanted to. Good luck!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I suppose the 360 would be a tad easier to unlock?
    no difference at all....just adjusting the position where the lever points at in the end (purely aesthetic difference)

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    With the 360 you can rotate the lever in any direction you want it after locking it in. With the standard Maxle, the lever doesn't rotate. It just stays in whatever position the threads stop at.
    That's not quite true. With a standard maxle, you have two closing positions, 180 degrees apart, meaning, it will point up or down, front or back, etc. With a 360, you have full range of rotation. Standard Maxle works perfectly fine.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Got the cheapo Pike Race ... now the problem. It is the remote poploc adjust version but the remote poploc adjust is MISSING! Question: I always forget to use lock out when riding so I don't really have use for the lockout but I want to have the compression damping adjustments! Do I really need it or not? Pike users ... help!

for me the compression adjust is a basic feature... so I'd try to get a poplock adjust or replace the MoCo cart for a non-spring.loaded one.... (I read that you the spring can be removed, but there is no "official" instructions on that)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks crisillo. The service manual does illustrate that the basic difference between the remote and nonremote version is the spring loaded cartridge. I hope it can be done - anybody tried/done it yet?

Thanks crisillo. The service manual does illustrate that the basic difference between the remote and nonremote version is the spring loaded cartridge. I hope it can be done - anybody tried/done it yet?
    I have seen a couple posts saying that they have done it..but I don't know the details...I suppose one needs to disassemble the "red damper"