Thread: Pike or BOS?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Pike or BOS?

Really torn here, heard great things about both, should I go with the BOS or the PIKE?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by recleaver View Post
    Really torn here, heard great things about both, should I go with the BOS or the PIKE?
    How's the access to replacement parts...which is better for you?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Pike or BOS?

I have never ridden a bos but the pike blows my freakin mind and I would be amazed if the Bos did the same

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Using a bos deville now. Previously using 2008 Talas. Its very smooth and well controlled . Never use a pike before but heard good review abt it. Guess it is 20mm versus 15mm axle to consider

mtbr member

I have both, well almost!

I have a BOS Deville on my Nicolai ION 16 and a Pike 26" 160mm on the way for my Turner 5-Spot.
    The BOS replaces a FOX 2013 34 (POS). The Deville feels great, almost not breakin time, supple on the top, no brake dive, extreme stiff, and begrudgingly gives up travel in a good way. It is heavier than a Pike, Pike ~4lbs, BOS 4.6Llbs.
    JM the owner Seven02 Distributions (USA BOS dealer) ☆ Welcome to Seven02 Distribution ☆ Commencal Bicycles & BOS Suspensions ☆ Canada & USA ☆ has been fantastic. He emails me on a regular basis to see how I am enjoying the fork and give suggestions for set up. I made a comment about the fork in one of my emails and he asked me to call him immediately. Long story short, he is feels there "could" be a slight issue with the negative air chamber and wants to exchange my fork with a new one ASAP. All I have to do is pay shipping back and he will express ship (on his dime) the new fork back to me. Therefore, I am impressed with his customer service. He could have easily let me live with the issue (I probably would not have known the difference honestly).
    JM is traveling back and forth to the WC’s, so give him a couple of days to respond if you go through him. Other places for BOS are Art’s Cyclery and Price Point (they have coupon codes).
    As for the RS Pike, I will update upon receipt (hopefully tomorrow). I do think they are similar products with their own pluses. BOS, open bath feel cartridge and 20mm thru axle, and so far great CS. RS Pike, stiff 35mm stanchions, lightest mid stanchion fork, tunable air spring, and historically great CS.

Sorry for rambling…just my 2 cents…you can’t go wrong with either one. Just depends on how adventurous you feel.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    How's the access to replacement parts...which is better for you?
    Doesn't matter where you are in the world, you have more chance of catching a Unicorn and riding it home than you do of getting spares from BOS. Which may be why they're onto distributor number three or four in the UK in as many years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    jjkitt - can I get some color on the Pike vs Deville from you? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    I have a BOS Deville on my Nicolai ION 16 and a Pike 26" 160mm on the way for my Turner 5-Spot.
    The BOS replaces a FOX 2013 34 (POS). The Deville feels great, almost not breakin time, supple on the top, no brake dive, extreme stiff, and begrudgingly gives up travel in a good way. It is heavier than a Pike, Pike ~4lbs, BOS 4.6Llbs.
    JM the owner Seven02 Distributions (USA BOS dealer) ☆ Welcome to Seven02 Distribution ☆ Commencal Bicycles & BOS Suspensions ☆ Canada & USA ☆ has been fantastic. He emails me on a regular basis to see how I am enjoying the fork and give suggestions for set up. I made a comment about the fork in one of my emails and he asked me to call him immediately. Long story short, he is feels there "could" be a slight issue with the negative air chamber and wants to exchange my fork with a new one ASAP. All I have to do is pay shipping back and he will express ship (on his dime) the new fork back to me. Therefore, I am impressed with his customer service. He could have easily let me live with the issue (I probably would not have known the difference honestly).
    JM is traveling back and forth to the WC’s, so give him a couple of days to respond if you go through him. Other places for BOS are Art’s Cyclery and Price Point (they have coupon codes).
    As for the RS Pike, I will update upon receipt (hopefully tomorrow). I do think they are similar products with their own pluses. BOS, open bath feel cartridge and 20mm thru axle, and so far great CS. RS Pike, stiff 35mm stanchions, lightest mid stanchion fork, tunable air spring, and historically great CS.

Sorry for rambling…just my 2 cents…you can’t go wrong with either one. Just depends on how adventurous you feel.

Cheers,
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    jjkitt - can I get some color on the Pike vs Deville from you? Thanks
    Seleniak,
    I will give you my impression on what I think shines for each fork.

Pike
    Pros: 35mm stanchions, very light, progressive spring rate, user friendly adjustment of air spring via tokens, the SMOOTHest stroke I've ever had...no stiction at all or "robot sex" noise, great CS.
    Cons: LSC not the best dealing with roots and constant chatter, plastic bits to save weight, still having trouble getting full travel...only about 10mm from getting full travel, hard to set sag because it rides/sets so high in its travel, air pressure guide way off (but what fork's air recommendations aren't?), a few owners (including me) having to warranty the fork do to knocking/side-to-side movement in the lowers

BOS
    Pros: 34mm stanchions with 20mm thru axle, LSC over roots and prolonged chatter is SECOND TO NONE, it gives up travel sparingly...in a good way, most well composed fork I've ever ridden, all metal bits, slightly progressive spring rate, beginning/top-end of the stroke very plush...just like a coil, great service interval...once a year if you race or otherwise every 2 years, CS has been great so far
    Cons: Not as progressive as the Pike, manufacturer maintenance only...you or your bike shop can not open it, its not a throw on your bike and its perfect...takes time and patience setting up, .5 lbs heavier, balancing negative spring can have issues due to .5 mm transfer point, prolonged CS is still a question.

Both are great forks...if you ride smooth trails without roots or prolonged chatter the Pike would be nice. The progressive spring soaks up drops and jumps nicely but can start to sputter on prolonged rough stuff. BOS handles the roots and rough stuff like a champ.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm going to say how the Pike deals with roots is one of the things that impressed me right off the bat, sometimes I'm asking myself if there were really roots back there due to how it sucked them up. The second thing was the ability to increase low-speed compression and make it firmer, for those times when you're DHing and the bumps get so big and you're hitting them so fast that you need to slow down the fork, yet you don't want to turn it into a jackhammer either. In constant chunky terrain, this was key to making it plush/controlled and better than everything else I've used with similar travel. The only thing I've used better is my avalanche damper, but I see similar traits with the pike in terms of compression adjustment and getting better the faster/harder you go. With 2 tokens and about 50psi, I get to within a couple mm of full travel when doing big jumps/doubles. I don't find that the pike rides all that "high" in the stroke, but maybe I'm used to the avalanche fork damper that had great firm low speed compression with an easy transition to high-speed for the sharp hits. It is no doubt tunable to ride higher (linear, no spacers, more compression) or lower (less psi, more spacers, less compression). It would have been bliss if my old 170mm 2006 marzocchi 66 had a damper like this in it, coupled with the rear avalanche shock I had it would have been bliss on that bike (compared to my avalanche equipped DH bike that WAS bliss till I lost too much weight).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It would have been bliss if my old 170mm 2006 marzocchi 66 had a damper like this in it, coupled with the rear avalanche shock I had it would have been bliss on that bike (compared to my avalanche equipped DH bike that WAS bliss till I lost too much weight).
    You too huh? I dropped 15 lbs and now all my springs are all too heavy. But if I drop in a spring one weight lighter, my compression/rebound is all sorts of screwed up...comp is too light and rebound is too heavy...
    If I'm still 15 lbs lighter coming out of next spring, all my squishy bits are going back to Craig for rework.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Elitest thrill junkie
    You too huh? I dropped 15 lbs and now all my springs are all too heavy. But if I drop in a spring one weight lighter, my compression/rebound is all sorts of screwed up...comp is too light and rebound is too heavy...
    If I'm still 15 lbs lighter coming out of next spring, all my squishy bits are going back to Craig for rework.
    I wish, I lost 50-60lbs, I changed springs 4 times I think, revalved my fork, revalved one of my rear shocks, the other I just never got around to before selling, but the revalves weren't perfect because I was still changing weight too, so yeah, there was some time where it was so grossly overdamped I was "fighting" the bike all the way down trails. I could absolutely feel the difference in 15lbs and how it affected the valving, not optimal, but I could deal with it. Once I was more like 50lbs off it was unreal, I think I started adding ballast to my pack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I wish, I lost 50-60lbs, I changed springs 4 times I think, revalved my fork, revalved one of my rear shocks, the other I just never got around to before selling, but the revalves weren't perfect because I was still changing weight too, so yeah, there was some time where it was so grossly overdamped I was "fighting" the bike all the way down trails. I could absolutely feel the difference in 15lbs and how it affected the valving, not optimal, but I could deal with it. Once I was more like 50lbs off it was unreal, I think I started adding ballast to my pack.
    Jesus man! 50-60!? I don't know if I should congrats you, or tell your ass to go see a doc and make sure you don't have some sort of a disease! What were you, like 6'6", 300lbs? Yeah, 15 lbs didn't feel so good...straddling some spring weights...50!?!?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Elitest thrill junkie
    Jesus man! 50-60!? I don't know if I should congrats you, or tell your ass to go see a doc and make sure you don't have some sort of a disease! What were you, like 6'6", 300lbs? Yeah, 15 lbs didn't feel so good...straddling some spring weights...50!?!?
    210-215, dropped down to 148 or so at my lowest, thankfully I'm back up to the high 150s/low 160s as I'm getting a lot stronger from rock-climbing, but yeah it was absolute hell with my suspension. I'm on air suspension now and the reason is unrelated, but it was getting ridiculous with the springs, I went from 600lb down to 400lb on one bike if I remember correctly...in 50lb increments (so yeah, a lot of springs). Thanks though, losing weight is usually a good thing.