Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike 2014

aka greyranger

Pike 2014

They are in, got mine today.

mtbr member
    Well get riding it and report back on reliability!

aka greyranger
    Going to the front range, Golden area, third week of August. That should tell all, even maybe a day at winter park.

mtbr member
    pics.. first impressions.. something !

aka greyranger
    It came while i was out of town, this is a new full build. Should have pics and impressions by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Pike 2014

I've read most of the news and specs on the new pike but heard no mention of internal travel adjust. Surely there is a pin-ladder system if you want to drop the 150 down to 140. Anybody have the deets?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Yep, that's what I want to know - ability to internally drop travel or not?

And what are the crown-to-axle heights of the various models?

Been going back and forth between a tapered Revelation and a lowered, non-tapered Lyrik on my trail bike, and the Pike seems like it would be a great happy medium.

Near the stiffness of the Lyrik, but near the weight of the Revelation? So long as the damper turns out to not suck or crap out, seems like a winner!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Pike 2014

Found this in another thread
    Pike 2014-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371920891.520096.jpg

Too Much Fun

Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    pics.. first impressions.. something !
    Yes please!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    eagerly awaiting impressions as well (love my lyric)

Prime
    Got a fractured bone in my foot, so no ride report. But, after a neighborhood curb jump test ride, I'd say that this fork is very plush, very smooth, and under hard braking feels very stiff.

Pike 2014-img_0276.jpg

Pike 2014-img_0277.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Love the black on black!

Quote Originally Posted by conekilr View Post
    Found this in another thread
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371920891.520096.jpg 
Views:	3443 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	810053

Sweet! Thanks!

Now as long as it can be lowered somewhat...

The 26" version dropped down to 140mm would get me right where I want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Pike 2014

Yeah, same here. Considering this fork for my Mojo HD-R with 'tweener wheels but don't want to sacrifice the geo. Can't imagine there not being a pin/spacer system for adjusting down to 140mm or even 130mm. I find it odd that there is no mention anywhere about this. Called bikeco this morning and they are checking it out...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My 29er version is sitting at my LBS right now. I forgot to take pictures last Friday. I left it there because it seemed like it was still rumored that the 160mm 29er version was a possibility. My LBS spoke with SRAM and confirmed the 160mm version for the 29er, but as we all know, the 150mm Pike requires a new air spring. Fine by me, I'll just have both air springs to go back and forth to figure out which I end up liking better. LBS also told me it'll be a few more months til the 160mm spring is released. I'll take some un-boxing pictures tomorrow when I go to my shop again. It'll be awhile before I can give a ride report as I bought this fork for a build project. I want to get the new Specialized 29er S-Works Enduro frame and build one up. LBS is telling me September or October before the frames are released.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Pike 2014

Ok, did a little more digging. Some of the info and general descriptions of the Pike are kind of confusing. I've seen it described as a 160-140mm travel fork some places. But it depends on which wheel size and whether its solo air or dual position air. Also, each travel corresponds to a unique air spring as mentioned above. The Dual Position Air maintains a consistent air spring volume. So here is the break down, please correct me if I'm wrong:

26"
    Dual Position Air: externally adjustable 160->130mm (infinite I think?)
    -or-
    Solo Air 160 fixed
    Solo Air 150 fixed

27.5"
    DPA: ext. adj. 160->130 (infinite I think?)
    -or-
    SA 160 fixed
    SA 150 fixed

29"
    DPA: ext. adj. 150->120 (infinite?)
    -or-
    SA 150 fixed
    SA 140 fixed

Demon Cleaner

Got my Solo Air in 150mm!

Pike 2014-040.jpg

I only have one ride on the fork, and I've never owned a Fox 34, but so far I have nothing but smiles to report. Super stiff. Freaken beast of a fork compared to the Fox 32 140 I'm coming from. Easy to set up (that's a big bonus for me...). Looks sweet (NOT a fan of gold ano...). Best of all, the longer maintenance interval!

The most noticiable difference coming from a Fox 32 is the stiffness, but the fork, even new, feels a bit more plush and has about the same brake dive. Need more time switching between bikes to really have a sense of this though.

Tire clearance with Hans Dampf 2.35 is great. I suppose since I only ride dry conditions the jury is still out, but looks like loads of room. Could go with a larger tire and still have some mud clearance (mud? it hasn't rained in months....). Will update if anything interesting happens.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Frikkin Darth Vader bike! Looking good!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Hmmm. . . I am thinking about this fork . . . If anyone can compare to a lyrik I would love to hear impressions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just a headz-up, when I got my Pike it was wrapped in sticky bubble-wrap. That glue used on the bubble-wrap will transfer to the stanchions, etc. and gum up the seals. I used Goo-Gone to get it off, but mineral spirits would likely work as well.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    This thread is pretty worthless so far. It would be nice to have a detailed report on performance and comparisons to Fox 34, 36, Lyric, Slant, etc. In time I'm sure.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    This thread is pretty worthless so far. It would be nice to have a detailed report on performance and comparisons to Fox 34, 36, Lyric, Slant, etc. In time I'm sure.
    Rode the piss outa mine Saturday, way better than a Fox 34, similar in feel to my CCDBa rear.

Anyone have any definitive answer yet as to whether these things can be lowered or not? I want a 150mm 26" dropped to 140mm.

SRAM is being very uncomunicative about that.

IMO, being able to easily (fairly) adjust the travel is one of the best features of Solo Air. It'll suck if you can't do that any longer, or if the mtb group mind community can't figure out a work around.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Good to hear. Thanks. After the Fox 2013 line-up, I would have a hard time coughing up $900 for one of their products.

Does the Pike ride relatively high in it's travel as advertised? Riding low has been a complaint about the fox 34 and x-fus slant.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    Good to hear. Thanks. After the Fox 2013 line-up, I would have a hard time coughing up $900 for one of their products.

Does the Pike ride relatively high in it's travel as advertised? Riding low has been a complaint about the fox 34 and x-fus slant.
    Don't really know, I didn't pay much attention to it. I never felt that the F34 rode particularly low either. What I do know, at proper sag, my 120mm F34 Talas pre CTD rode too firm in most terrain, yet I could get it to bottom at least once on a typical ride. Dialed such that there was some minimal plushness, I would easily blow through all travel. I never really noticed that it was particularly flimsy either.

Pike 140mm soloair, on the other hand, at proper sag rides very plush when dialed properly. It uses 1/2 of the available travel just riding over rocks and hammering some light downhill chunk. I'm not quite dialed yet, but you really have to push it hard to go much beyond 85% travel use. There is no noticeable transition between the plush feel and the firm feel. Very stiff fork both front to rear, and side to side.

I was always a strict Fox guy. The crap CTD shock that came on the back of my bike was quickly traded for Cane Creek, now I've swapped the fork out for a Pike. My bike rides much better, especially after both front and rear suspensions have been changed. Plush, yet not mushy, nice progression to quite firm when deep in the stroke.

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast