Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike 2014

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How is the small bump compliance? Im tossing up a Pike or a 55 RC3 Evo.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's the real deal.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

on my 3rd wind...
    Have both and just replaced 55 RC3 with Pike solo 160mm yesterday and went for 22 mile ride that has 4kft climb and 9 mile descend. Not as good as 55 RC3 on suppleness and tracking but good enough. I am running 55psi which is 10psi below my recommended rider weight. It yields 20-25% sag. I am going to run 50psi on next outing. From what I understand factory preinstalls one bottomless token but I havent opened it up to confirm this. Definitely rides higher up in its travel than other forks. Biggest gain I am seeing is 1.2lbs in weight saving and front-end feels so much more nimble. Feels plenty stiff but not as stiff as 55.

FYI, I am running 650B version 160mm Pike on 26" bike since I was looking to raise the front-end height a bit.
    sth

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Good job! My 2 cents

Got a three hour ride on my brothers 140mm pike. Really quick background is that I love coil forks....my favorite is a 160 mm lyrik and I've got a 150 coil revelation, converted. Hate air fork for the stiction and lack of mid support.

My ultimate fork would be the new pike with a coil uturn.

My ride on the pike was so impressive I had to post a review....although I don't want to pay msrp I would love to find one cheaper. I found the small bump unbelievable for an air fork and rockshox was right that this indeed does ride higher in the travel. Big hits where plush of course but my biggest need in a fork is small bump and this was awesome. And of course it was almost 1.5lbs lighter than a coil lyrik. Stiffness was great and all the compression damping worked excellently. Another impressive feature was on e dh the fork maintained its plush small bump as sometime my other forks would stiffen up (damper oil foaming maybe?). But really great on extended dh. Will prob hold onto my lyrik until I find a pike cheaper but I'm excited about the thought of getting one.

Oh, my biggest complaint was on an extended steep dh, the fork rode noticeably more into the travel....brake dive. I'm sure there was a way to combat that, more psi or spacer but it wasn't a big deal as the majority of the ride was awesome. So overall it rides really really close to a coil and possibly would replace my coil lyrik.

mtbr member

Pike 2014

Check Tryon Bike for good prices.

on my 3rd wind...
    ...or at Art's Cyclery and use promo code "facebook20" for 20% off
    sth

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the links....I guess every retailers best price is 20% off retail. Same for both and pretty consistent on ebay as well.

on my 3rd wind...
    I dont see better deal coming anytime soon unless RC model shows up for less $$$ or people starts reporting massive reliability issue. Performance wise nothing beats this fork at its weight and travel spec.
    sth

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Pike 2014

I have been riding this fork for over a month now and I am extremely satisfied. It's very impressive how consistent the fork is. Riding through a long rock garden there is no noticeable difference towards the end. The fork recovers very well from each hit and stays controlled the entire time.

One big advantage of this fork is the small bump compliance. Compared to the fox 32s I've ridden (talas and float) which are the same weight as this fork, the difference is night and day. Not only out of the box is the small bump compliance better but after a lot of riding its still way better. For example I demoed a brand new bike with a brand new fox float on it and in a weekend of riding the small bump compliance got much worse. This is par for the course in my experience with multiple fox 32s. The fact that this pike keeps impressing me day after day with the small bump performance is just amazing. This is why I really, really like the fork. The performance doesn't degrade.

When I first got the fork it was a very difficult decision. It's very expensive and I couldn't demo it. I thought I was making a huge gamble. Looking back I'm so happy I pulled the trigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound View Post
    ...or at Art's Cyclery and use promo code "facebook20" for 20% off
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How is the new Pike 160mm compared to Lyrik RC2DH?
    I am choosing between the two forks, I mostly do trail riding but occasionally I'll take my bike to bike parks using DH tires and like to ride in rough terrain. Next bike will probably be a Covert 26" with 160mm.

I don't need lock out but being able to lowering a couple of cm is a plus.
    Pike is lightweight but I really dont like 15mm axle...
    All these decisions make my life so hard to live

mtbr member

DUAL POSITION Up to 30mm? up to 20mm? up to 10mm?

My apologies if this has been brought up in this thread but can a fellow member confirm if the new dual position Pike forks can be set to have dual position at 160 /150 mm. I see some ads with the Pike sold at 160/140 mm so this tells me the 30mm is not the ONLY setting in between. Am I smoking something strong today or is my question legit? Is it a matter or tinkering with internal spacers? Thanks to all.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    So anyone done and oil change yet?

What the hell does bleed mean for the Pike damper?

0w30 for the lowers is nice - cheap and easy to get at most any auto parts or moto store. Actually, same with the 3w for the damper side upper.

This is the first RS fork in along time that I've not broken down and done an oil change to right out of the box. Doesn't feel as if it needs it yet by any stretch, but, curiosity is getting the better of me...

Nice to see some documentation starting to show up finally.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/wX...oairtokens.pdf

Appears as if you can run up to 4 tokens in the 26" 150mm (what i have) though mine only came with two in the box. Likely be a while before they'll be available to buy aftermarket.

Wonder when the next spare parts lists and full service docs for this thing will be available.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post

What the hell does bleed mean for the Pike damper?
    The closed damper only holds a set amount of oil, so they don't list the specific amount(?). Just fill it up and bleed the air out.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    The closed damper only holds a set amount of oil, so they don't list the specific amount(?). Just fill it up and bleed the air out.
    Gotcha - that makes sense.

Lightly salted

What the hell does mean for the Pike damper?

Appears as if you can run up to 4 tokens in the 26" 150mm (what i have) though mine only came with two in the box. Likely be a while before they'll be available to buy aftermarket.

Wonder when the next spare parts lists and full service docs for this thing will be available.
    You most likely have a token in the fork already, Both my 140 29" and 160 26" pikes had 1 token pre installed and 2 in the box for a total of 3 tokens each.

Heres a video of the Pike bleed,,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nninf6lN0SA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    You most likely have a token in the fork already, Both my 140 29" and 160 26" pikes had 1 token pre installed and 2 in the box for a total of 3 tokens each.

Heres a video of the Pike bleed,,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nninf6lN0SA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Nope. Already installed the two tokens mine came with - none were in the fork when I opened it up. Their pdf doc shows (in my model at least) you can have up to four.

Thanks for the link!

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Nope. Already installed the two tokens mine came with - none were in the fork when I opened it up. Their pdf doc shows (in my model at least) you can have up to four.

Thanks for the link!
    How does the ride compare with the Tokens added? Did you put them in so you could run more sag and not bottom out?

Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    How does the ride compare with the Tokens added? Did you put them in so you could run more sag and not bottom out?
    Yep. The fork wasn't feeling wallowy or too divy, but would use up a lot of travel and/or bottom on small stuff, even with compression cranked up.

The tokens lets me run less pressure and LSC while still not feeling wallowy or divy, and not using up lots of travel or bottoming out little shit.

On the biggest/harshest landing drop (at least that i do on my trail bike) on my local stuff, I'm using all but a couple mm of travel according to the o-ring. Still is soaking up the little trail chatter as well. And I'm riding all the time with the damper in the "open" position - I'm a set it and forget it guy, so once I get it all dialed in for me, I tend to not screw with things.

We have a fun mix of high speed short and steep ups and downs, interspersed with slow speed technical, and lots of slow speed trialsy stuff alternate lines here and there - so far, the fork has been feeling freakn' awesome on all of it after popping the tokens in.

I'd actually like to get myself two more tokens to play with, just to see. As well, if the Pike inner threaded top-cap would fit the Lyrik, I could play with the spacers on that as well - that fork is now on an older/backup/loaner bike.

Anyhow, I suspect the charger damper and volume spacer top-caps will make their way onto all their new forks. Would be sweet if they'd offer a way to retro-fit the stuff to some older forks. Would be sweet in the Totem Solo Air on my big play bike that sees local trail riding AND lift served time.

Update!

Pike air cap will fit a Lyrik. I put mine in with the two tokens installed - no problem. Measuring the internal height, it appears there is physically space to fit four of the things without mechanical bottom out/issues. Once they have the spare parts out there, that will allow a lot of tweaking of older Lyriks for not much cash! Nice!

The only real difference of the top-caps, other than the internal threading, is the Lyrik one you can remove/swap the entire schreader setup vs. only being able to swap out the valve core on the Pike cap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Update!

Pike air cap will fit a Lyrik. I put mine in with the two tokens installed - no problem. Measuring the internal height, it appears there is physically space to fit four of the things without mechanical bottom out/issues. Once they have the spare parts out there, that will allow a lot of tweaking of older Lyriks for not much cash! Nice!

The only real difference of the top-caps, other than the internal threading, is the Lyrik one you can remove/swap the entire schreader setup vs. only being able to swap out the valve core on the Pike cap.
    How heavy are you and what air pressure are you running? Just trying to calibrate myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    2014 pike dual position 29er fork available in black or only in white?
    2015 YT Capra Pro Race LE
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er

mtbr member

Pike 2014

There seems to be a black 160/125 available on the new WFO. Is that available aftermarket?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep. The fork wasn't feeling wallowy or too divy, but would use up a lot of travel and/or bottom on small stuff, even with compression cranked up.

The tokens lets me run less pressure and LSC while still not feeling wallowy or divy, and not using up lots of travel or bottoming out little shit.

On the biggest/harshest landing drop (at least that i do on my trail bike) on my local stuff, I'm using all but a couple mm of travel according to the o-ring. Still is soaking up the little trail chatter as well. And I'm riding all the time with the damper in the "open" position - I'm a set it and forget it guy, so once I get it all dialed in for me, I tend to not screw with things.

We have a fun mix of high speed short and steep ups and downs, interspersed with slow speed technical, and lots of slow speed trialsy stuff alternate lines here and there - so far, the fork has been feeling freakn' awesome on all of it after popping the tokens in.

I'd actually like to get myself two more tokens to play with, just to see. As well, if the Pike inner threaded top-cap would fit the Lyrik, I could play with the spacers on that as well - that fork is now on an older/backup/loaner bike.

Anyhow, I suspect the charger damper and volume spacer top-caps will make their way onto all their new forks. Would be sweet if they'd offer a way to retro-fit the stuff to some older forks. Would be sweet in the Totem Solo Air on my big play bike that sees local trail riding AND lift served time.
    Adding tokens, and lowering the pressure would help the fork ride lower, use more travel on hits, possibly not have enough for the next successive hit in very chunky terrain. It sounds based on your description that you want it to be less progressive and more linear, which means less tokens and higher pressure, vs. more sag and lower pressure.

But it's great that it's tunable and just performs amazing. I keep thinking: "A 4lb fork?".

All I really want suspension-wise is for this kind of good damping technology that you have in the more "downhill" oriented stuff to be applied to the more XC stuff, rather than the simple and sometimes poorly-working XC systems that have all the fads like levers and and lockouts. Just give me decent damping and tunability and screw the rest.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Black 36mm 27.5" Lyrik.. wonder what that would cost

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey guys!
    ========

Anyone knows if reducing a 160mm pike 29 to 150mm is possible (2014 model)?

If it is possible, do I have to change damper or maybe just deal with the spacers?

Thx, Mo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Has anyone had issues with the fork making a rattling feel when holding the front brake and rocking it for and aft? It is were the upper stanchions go into the lower legs I think. It is a 160 26" dual position air. PLEASE HELP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ski1970 View Post
    Has anyone had issues with the fork making a rattling feel when holding the front brake and rocking it for and aft? It is were the upper stanchions go into the lower legs I think. It is a 160 26" dual position air. PLEASE HELP
    Sounds like your headset is loose and needs adjusting. Check that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No that was checked and also taken apart and re grease and set back up. It is tight and good

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi there,
    I am riding Pike2014 on my v1 Banshee Spitfire for a month and very satisfied, but I am planning to move forward to new Spitfire and run 27.5" wheels, so my question is, is it possible to convert 26" Fork to 27.5" ? may be by replacing bottom "legs" ???
    Thanks in advice

on my 3rd wind...
    I have the 650B version 160mm Pike. I am pretty sure lower is the only part different among 26, 27.5, and 29. I believe lower is taller by 10mm on 650B version vs. 26" on same travel version. I am currently running 650B version Pike on my 26" frame with 26" wheelset. I see a bit more gap between the top of tire and the bottom of lower arch than other 26" fork setup I have.
    sth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ski1970 View Post
    Which brakes, some flavor of the new shitmano? My M820 pads rattles in its caliper. Grab a handful of front brake and move the bike back/forth, and I can feel the rotor shift in the caliper when you pinch the rotor w/ your finger right next to the caliper.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Pike 2014

Am I the only one who is losing travel when setting the proper sag? At 25ish% sag my 160mm 26" Pike is sucked down to the 5% used mark with no pressure on the front of the bike.

Any way to solve this other than putting more pressure in then I want to?

I am 205 lbs, so not a lightweight... If it is happening to me than lighter riders must have the same issue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Not the brake

It is not the brake. I Have located a slight movement sound were the stanchion goes into the lower leg and can feel a slight movement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Which brakes, some flavor of the new shitmano? My M820 pads rattles in its caliper. Grab a handful of front brake and move the bike back/forth, and I can feel the rotor shift in the caliper when you pinch the rotor w/ your finger right next to the caliper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound View Post
    I have the 650B version 160mm Pike. I am pretty sure lower is the only part different among 26, 27.5, and 29. I believe lower is taller by 10mm on 650B version vs. 26" on same travel version. I am currently running 650B version Pike on my 26" frame with 26" wheelset. I see a bit more gap between the top of tire and the bottom of lower arch than other 26" fork setup I have.
    Thanks, I also think so, but I want to be sure, is any ability to contact sram?

Delirious Tuck
    Okay... so where do I get the tokens? I'm already at 2 in a 150mm 26 and I think one more and I'll have the small bump and High Speed progressiveness I'm keen to have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Okay... so where do I get the tokens? I'm already at 2 in a 150mm 26 and I think one more and I'll have the small bump and High Speed progressiveness I'm keen to have.
    How much do you weigh? And on what frame if you don't mind sharing...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member

Re: Pike 2014

Has anybody put a 29" 140mm internals to a 650b pike?
    I have seen 650b 140mm pike and it required changing the internals. I am just trying to find out how it was done...

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    How much do you weigh? And on what frame if you don't mind sharing...
    255 geared. 2013 XL Knolly Endorphin.

I'm close. I think one more token gets me the balance and performance I want, as it sits with 2 tokens, it is already better than the 13 Fox CTD its replacing (although Fox is sending me 2014 cart so that may go back on as comparison and possibly get the Fox Enduro/MX 34 tune).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by kroe View Post
    Am I the only one who is losing travel when setting the proper sag? At 25ish% sag my 160mm 26" Pike is sucked down to the 5% used mark with no pressure on the front of the bike.

Any way to solve this other than putting more pressure in then I want to?

I am 205 lbs, so not a lightweight... If it is happening to me than lighter riders must have the same issue...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Most forks will do this. It's not a big deal and its one of the reasons it feels so good on the top of the stroke. What kind of pressure are you running? I am 195 plus gear and run 70psi and 4 clicks from closed on the lsc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    255 geared. 2013 XL Knolly Endorphin.

I'm close. I think one more token gets me the balance and performance I want, as it sits with 2 tokens, it is already better than the 13 Fox CTD its replacing (although Fox is sending me 2014 cart so that may go back on as comparison and possibly get the Fox Enduro/MX 34 tune).
    Cool, thanks. I'm 215 on a L Endo myself. I've not tried messing with the tokens yet, but I did check and mine didn't come with any installed.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm going to call RS today and see where I can get more tokens.

Didn't notice one. Two started to make things a bit more noticeably progressive. I think three will give me the small bump, sag, and the ramp for more aggressive lines/chunk.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Let us know. I'd like to get another one too.

Delirious Tuck

Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    Let us know. I'd like to get another one too.
    On the way to my local shop. Have your LBS call and request SRAM to send the tokens. Should be a few days. Going to three and I think I will be there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Has anybody put a 29" 140mm internals to a 650b pike?
    I have seen 650b 140mm pike and it required changing the internals. I am just trying to find out how it was done...
    i too would like to hear about this. i want to put this fork on my Blur TRC but the A-C of the 26" 150mm is ~532mm - too tall for the TRC. if i could drop this to ~522mm that'd be $$$

mtbr member

Re: Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mattrwills View Post
    i too would like to hear about this. i want to put this fork on my Blur TRC but the A-C of the 26" 150mm is ~532mm - too tall for the TRC. if i could drop this to ~522mm that'd be $$$
    The 26" 150mm airspring assembly (RS Part#11.4018.026.003) which is the same assembly as a 120mm 29" Pike. The 140mm 29" airspring is the same as the 27.5 160mm Pike (RS Part#11.4018.026.001). BTI-USA doesn't have them in stock yet, but they are all on the website if your curious under "Rock Shox SoloAir Travel Adjustment Air Shafts"

BTI | Suspension Fork Service Parts from Rock Shox (page 2)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    The 26" 150mm airspring assembly (RS Part#11.4018.026.003) which is the same assembly as a 120mm 29" Pike. The 140mm 29" airspring is the same as the 27.5 160mm Pike (RS Part#11.4018.026.001). BTI-USA doesn't have them in stock yet, but they are all on the website if your curious under "Rock Shox SoloAir Travel Adjustment Air Shafts"

BTI | Suspension Fork Service Parts from Rock Shox (page 2)
    thanks. i spoke with a shop who called RS directly. he was told there isn't an airspring available to get 140mm on the 26" version. they did confirm it was in 'development and thought it would be available sometime this winter'...

i hope that is the case although i'm confused on what needs to be 'developed'. seems to me something in the 26"/150mm spring needs to be shortened by 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrwills View Post
    FWIW, I'm running a 150mm Pike 26" on my TRc and it feels sweeeeeeet! Sure, it's a few mm taller than my prior fork(s) but I'm also running more sag - IMO, it works out just fine. Best I can figure out, when on the bike/geared up, I'm riding about 10mm taller up front than their suggestion of 140mm travel. Been a couple weeks now, and it's riding fabulously.

Now, the SC warranty department may have other ideas... However, I'm not at all worried about the frame integrity. I worry more about bashing and dragging the lower link on rocks than the head-tube area by a ginormous margin.

Also figure their pro guys have used these frames as 4x and DS and DJ type frames (albeit with stock size forks AFAIK) riding them way, way harder, more aggressively, and abusively than anything my 150# skinny as will.

I'd like to drop it down to 140mm as well, if/when a way comes about to do so, but am not too worried about it if not.

Also about eventually swapping it to a 650b setup. New lowers for sure, sounds as if some of the internals as well, but maybe not all. Cost of those and doing the swap myself vs. buying an entirely new fork down the road...?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ski1970, its sounds similar to the what i have experienced with my 150 solo airs. If i apply front brake and slightly rock the the bike there is movement between the the stanchions and lower legs. If i then compress the fork let it extended back and then pick the front wheel up the lowers drop around 4mm. Its noticeable when riding too which is a little off putting! They have been back to tf tuned where i bought them, who then sent them back to Fishers (UK distributor) to look at. Just got them back two days ago after Fishers said they were "operating in away they would expect to see" ?? Still the same as they were before now i've got them back on the bike. Thought it may have been bit stiction but have cleaned & lubed the seals & still the same! Is this normal operating, i haven't experienced this with other forks. Anyone able to confirm this is as it should be??

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Could someone please check if;

110-140 mm DUAL POSITION air in BLACK

will be possible to get, or not?

searched everything/where, found no answer...

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast