Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike 2014

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    I'm looking at the 29'' 140mm Pike... but can't decide on Solo Air or Dual Position Air.

I've ridden a Fox Talas, and the adjustable travel knob kept slipping on its own (without my doing it). Is this basically a problem with all externally-adjustable travel forks?

Should I just stick with the Solo Air?
    I have the Pike 140 on my Large SB95c. I would guess it depends on the type of riding you will be doing whether to go with dual. The Solo is awesome and I think the SB-95 is well suited to the 140. I have a lot of time on the 95A with the Fox 120 and the 140 seems just as agile and much improved tuning. I do tend to run it in the middle damping position on XC type trails and open on the AM type trails. At first I was thinking about putting in a 10 mm spacer, but now with more time on the 140 I have totally given that idea up. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Pike 2014

I'm looking at the 29'' 140mm Pike... but can't decide on Solo Air or Dual Position Air.

I've ridden a Fox Talas, and the adjustable travel knob kept slipping on its own (without my doing it). Is this basically a problem with all externally-adjustable travel forks?

Should I just stick with the Solo Air?
    The problem with externally adjustable travel forks is basically there's more to go wrong. I rode a couple of talas forks for years and never had that problem but I did run into other problems. If you service it its usually fine but it can be a pain for sure. With other rockshox forks they allow you to buy the soloair or dual position air cartridge for a reasonable price and install it yourself. Not sure if the pike ones are out yet but you aren't stuck with your decision forever or anything.

Also people complain that the more complicated air systems have more stiction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Simplemind and litany.

Good to hear both counts. I didn't realize that you can switch out the dual position and solo eventually if needed.

And, Simplemind, I haven't had my sb95a on a 140 at all yet, so it's cool to hear that it's all good.

Now, about that 51mm offset...?

mtbr member
    Now, about that 51mm offset...?
    I contacted Fox about their 34 29er... The tech (Matt?) told me the 34's rake has never changed...always been 51mm.

Edit: I was going to make the jump from 34 to Pike which is what caused me to make the call. But, I decided to wait it out for 1 model year on the Pike...I'm sitting on a brand new 2014 (warrantied) 34 Float 29 CTD...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Did anyone receive their fork minus the sag markings on the stanchion? My 29 solo air 140 just arrived and they are nowhere to be found.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteox View Post
    Did anyone receive their fork minus the sag markings on the stanchion? My 29 solo air 140 just arrived and they are nowhere to be found.
    Some other people have gotten their hands on the 140 model and reported that it lacks the sag markings. Only the 150/160 model has them.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Demon Cleaner

Pike 2014

When considering travel adjust also consider how much you need it (du...). With my old bike I sometimes used it. New one, no. My new one is a Pike solo 150. The point?

The new, a TBLTc, has a longer wheelbase. With that the front end stays more planted.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

Root Master
    For anyone curious, I called Yeti about the Pike and the various offset options and they recommended just going with the standard offset. So that's what I ended up getting (the 150mm version). I can tell a slight difference in handling from the Fox 34 I had on my SB95 but I am undecided if it's positive or negative in nature yet. However, the Pike itself is much more plush and a decidedly smoother ride. The annoying brake dive from the Fox is also gone.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member

Pike 2014

So my fork was supposed to be delivered today. Received an email update 5 minutes after the FedEx guy left. I was home...never heard a knock or anything. Now I have to wait til Tuesday! Ugh...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I received mine, last week, what I can tell you after a only two rides its amazing fork!
    I am running 30% sag, because fork is 160mm and I want to lower it to 150, so little more sag feeling great on my banshee spitfire.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Got a 160mm on the way for my SJ EVO 26.
    Last edited by BushPilot; 09-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm running a Pike 140mm Solo on my Ripley and find that I need to run way lower than the recommended PSI to achieve 30% sag. Is anyone else having this issue? This is my first RS fork and typically Fox's recommendations were fairly close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I'm running a Pike 140mm Solo on my Ripley and find that I need to run way lower than the recommended PSI to achieve 30% sag. Is anyone else having this issue? This is my first RS fork and typically Fox's recommendations were fairly close.
    Rockshox recommended settings are notorious for being way off, so don't worry about it. Just set your air pressure to get your 30% sag and go ride.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Rockshox recommended settings are notorious for being way off, so don't worry about it. Just set your air pressure to get your 30% sag and go ride.
    Thanks. I just thought 50 PSI for a 175 lb. rider seemed low, but as you say, set the sag and ride

Demon Cleaner

Pike 2014

Also running 50 psi at 190lbs. Working great and haven't bottomed it yet though I'm riding slow for other reasons (arm injury).
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    30% sag on a fork sounds like an awful lot. can you run the air pressure that low without bottoming all the time? that is how I would be determining sag, especially without an independent high speed compression adjustment.

mtbr member

Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    30% sag on a fork sounds like an awful lot. can you run the air pressure that low without bottoming all the time? that is how I would be determining sag, especially without an independent high speed compression adjustment.
    30% does sound high, especially for a fork reputed to run high in its travel while still being small-bump sensitive. I had to run my 2014 Fox 34 at 30% to be soft enough over small stuff for my liking. Still never used the last 15mm of travel with that thing, even off 3 foot drops to flat while at 30% sag.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hoping fellow Pike owners can confirm a suspected problem.

Got my new Pikes yesterday 26" 150mm, was very pleased - weigh only 80g more than my RCT3 Revs (1801g vs 1727g both with a 195mm steerer). Amazing.
    Very stiff and not as 'divey' as the Revs they replaced.

However I think the damper is not working as it should -

The dial adjuster only has two 'clicks' - one for fully open; the other when selecting platform; but no 'click' when selecting lockout.
    In lockout I can easily get 55mm of travel by pushing down on the fork.
    The Low Speed Compression has very little effect.
    When the rebound is on full 'slow' the fork still returns relatively quickly.

Can someone confirm their fork does not behave like this?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I also felt the same and initially ran the pressure at 60 which gave me about 25% sag. During my first descent on yesterday ride I still had about 25mm of travel unused. This run included a few 2 foot drops, smaller jumps, rocks, and pretty beat up trail conditions. At that point I lowered it to 50 and pretty much used most of the travel.

Yebo Numzaan
    Good info here. Ordered a PIKE y'day to replace my Revelation. Hopefully will notice less vibrations / flex / dive which have really been screwing with me.

re: Sag I had the revelation sitting at 25 - 30% with 80 - 90 psi and got advised to use less sag to improve the small bump compliance (counter intuitive). I had to up that to 125 psi before i got the sag around 20%. Definitely helped with the diving...but thats about it. I would expect to run my fork around 25% - 30% as others mention

So looking fwd to it.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    re: Sag I had the revelation sitting at 25 - 30% with 80 - 90 psi and got advised to use less sag to improve the small bump compliance (counter intuitive).
    Can you ref your source for this statement...some sort of manual or a RS tune tech? It is indeed very counter intuitive!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Can you ref your source for this statement...some sort of manual or a RS tune tech? It is indeed very counter intuitive!
    ha ha...not so lucky. It was from esteemed posters on this forum (look for "Revelation" thread from last week)....i was looking for any input to tweak performance for the better.

what i did discover this weekend which may be total BS...was to run the fork with more damping (compression and rebound) than felt good initially...because i felt these opened up after a short time - damper fluid possibly heating up? This was on long descents where the fluids had time to heat up as opposed to XC pedaling.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post

ha ha...not so lucky. It was from esteemed posters on this forum (look for "Revelation" thread from last week)....i was looking for any input to tweak performance for the better.

what i did discover this weekend which may be total BS...was to run the fork with more damping (compression and rebound) than felt good initially...because i felt these opened up after a short time - damper fluid possibly heating up? This was on long descents where the fluids had time to heat up as opposed to XC pedaling.
    So, mostly anecdotal... That's okay, if it works. Does it work?

For anyone else reading this, don't get me wrong. The Pike is leaps and bounds better than the Fox, out of the box!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Yebo Numzaan
    I tried everything i know - all ranges of air pressure (high / med / low) , changing damper fluid and playing with my compression settings as described. I ordered the Pike....kinda answers the question as to whether i was succesful.

re: the Revelation...single big hits were actually fine. It soaked up a surprise 3' nose heavy roll over this weekend when for sure i thought i was going OTB...but when it came to high speed chunder / roots and heavy front braking - it struggled.

Everyone sounds stoked on the Pike...and I am enjoying reading all the feedack / input. Hopefully I will be able to "plug and play" when it arrives.

thanks.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Mutton you are going to love the Pike on the Endo. I certainly do.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast