Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was a long time fan of Marzocchi and was really happy when they got their quality control back in order. I had the 2011 55ti while it was super plush, I did not like it as much as my Lyric. No platform was a big part of that but the bigger issue was that it was heavier and only a little more plush than the Lyric, not enough to justify all the extra weight.

As for the Solo Air vs. 2 Step, Rockshox doesn't have a very good history with the 2 step so I'd personally avoid it. Of course I'm not really into travel adjustments even if they didn't break down and cause more friction so take my opinion for what it's worth.

moaaar shimz
    2 Step was discontinued long ago, Pike and Lyrik use DUAL POSITION air springs, not 2 step.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

160 lowered to 150

Anyone can answer to this question that has been already asked couple of times here.
    I purchased 160mm single air and want to lower it to 150, is it possible?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No...from what I've read the new pike cannot be lowered. I believe I read that in this thread. They use different bladders for each size. This is why you can purchase it in a 150 or a 160 where as a fox only offers aftermarket forks in a 160 (which can be lowered).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for your answer, but do you have any source for it?
    I don't think you can compare it to FOX shocks and also almost all previous RS shocks was lowered with no problem by adding a spacer to a air spring...
    Last edited by vadimn; 07-21-2013 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Anyone know of a dealer with availability?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    if the I remember that I read that it couldn't be lowered. I've tried find where....but no luck. I've been reading everything I could find about this fork. One of the comments in the pinkbike review was from a guy who had asked his sram rep the same question and was told that it could not be lowered. This wasn't what I originally read though. Sorry I don't have more info. My comment on about fox forks wasn't to compare them. But it makes sense to me that they offer the pike in a 150 and 160 for 26 inch wheels. I always thought that most companies that have forks with the ability to lower the travel don't bother to sell them in multiple sizes. They just.sell them at 160 for instance and let the buyer lower them if desired. This isn't true for complete builds though. I could be wrong on that but it makes sense. Also if the internals are completely new the old way of lowering the fork may not work.....I don't know...sorry

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    The path bike shop in Tustin California has them. That's where I got mine. They had several when I was there, give them a call they may have the flavor you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Universal Cycles has the 26" 150 Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Pike RCT3 Solo Air Fork 2014

Use the "vip15" coupon code and it drops the price 15% to about $833.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I found this pinkbike post:
    RockShox Pike - Tested by mikelevy - Pinkbike
    "All Pike models will be air sprung, with riders able to choose from either a Dual Position Air (DPA) system that allows for 30mm of travel adjustment by way of simplified internals compared to previous iterations, or the fixed-travel Solo Air option that is tested here for those who don't feel the need to lower the front of their bike for climbing or tamer terrain. The spring rate on all versions of the Pike can be tuned by way of RockShox's 'Bottomless Tokens', plastic spacers that are threaded by hand into the underside of the top cap. Multiple Bottomless Tokens can be stacked up in order to increase the progressiveness of the fork throughout its travel.
    Some Pike models use RockShox's Dual Position Air travel adjust system (left), although our test fork employs their non-adjustable Solo Air spring. Volume spacers (right) can be used to adjust the fork's progression, if required."

So I am now more confused then ever, is it possible to lower or not ???

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimn View Post
    I found this pinkbike post:

So I am now more confused then ever, is it possible to lower or not ???
    Bottomless tokens just tune the spring. Dual Position Air is just travel adjust. It doesn't "lower" the fork like turning the 160 into a 150, but if you want a 130mm fork you can buy the 160 DPA and use the travel adjust feature and just leave it at 130. The flip of a switch and it's back to 160. So far SRAM doesn't support lowering the pike.

moaaar shimz
    It looks like a solid fork, but I'm disappointed on the amount of lubrication oil in the damper side (5 ml).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    It looks like a solid fork, but I'm disappointed on the amount of lubrication oil in the damper side (5 ml).
    Could you explain why? Would be interesting to know.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Hypethetical: Say you get a 140mm 29er...think that a Lyrik 160/170/180mm air piston assembly might fit in a Pike to get you the 160, if you stuff the thing into the Pike in the 180mm setting?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I spoke to SRAM - no way to lower without replacing the air spring assembly. They said that they should make them available shortly for under $100

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Could you explain why? Would be interesting to know.

Cheers,
    Explain what?

mtbr member
    Does anyone with these have solid info on servicing these forks?

I heard through the grapevine that they are using a very specific oil in them, that has a very short service life (I believe it is used in motocross race engines, requiring replacement after a few hours of use in that field). I am really interested if there will be a greater durability as we obviously do not have as much heat buildup that would break down the oil in the same fashion, or what sort of maintenance schedule sram is intending us to use on this fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post

I heard through the grapevine that they are using a very specific oil in them, that has a very short service life (I believe it is used in motocross race engines, requiring replacement after a few hours of use in that field). I am really interested if there will be a greater durability as we obviously do not have as much heat buildup that would break down the oil in the same fashion, or what sort of maintenance schedule sram is intending us to use on this fork.
    According to one of the videos SRAM did they are using an oil they sell but they don't seem to care if you want to use a different one.

This is the service schedule from my pike user manual:

Every ride: clean stanchions, lubricate dust seals and stanchions (they say "upper tubes" in the manual), check air pressure, inspect stanchions for scratches.

25 hours: check front suspension fasteners for proper torque

50 hours: "Remove lowers, clean/inspect bushings and change oil bath"

100 hours: "Clean and lubricate air spring assembly" and "Change oil in dampening system (including hydraulic lockout)"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    Every ride: clean stanchions, lubricate dust seals and stanchions (they say "upper tubes" in the manual),
    My fork came with something indistinguishable to slick honey on the dust wipers and upper tubes. No visible oil anywhere but it seems they pre-lubricated it for us.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post

Lubrication oil is Maxima Maxum Ultra 0w30 (motorcycle engine oil). It does not have a short service life but because of the low amount of lubrication in damper side (5 ml) I would recommend frequent maintenance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Lubrication oil is Maxima Maxum Ultra 0w30 (motorcycle engine oil). It does not have a short service life but because of the low amount of lubrication in damper side (5 ml) I would recommend frequent maintenance.
    That makes a heck of a lot more sense - and also why SRAM is recommending that every 50 hours of use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik View Post
    I spoke to SRAM - no way to lower without replacing the air spring assembly. They said that they should make them available shortly for under $100
    Were you answering my post? If so, I was trying to see if a 140 Pike 29 can be bumped up to a 160 by using the 180mm travel setting Lyrik air piston for a 26...I was trying to extend the 140, not shorten.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Elitest thrill junkie
    So that's what the red things are for. I was going crazy trying to figure out if they were part of the fork or part of my bike or just some random parts thrown in. Axle to crown is close to 571, I got 575 but that may just be in dragging the tape-measure over. Curious what settings others are using? I started with about 70psi for 170lbs (riding weight) and it seems to be a little too much. Only about 5 clicks of rebound, but that seems like it wouldn't be enough. I go back and forth on compression between zero and dialing in some for bigger hits/drops.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm looking at the 29'' 140mm Pike... but can't decide on Solo Air or Dual Position Air.

I've ridden a Fox Talas, and the adjustable travel knob kept slipping on its own (without my doing it). Is this basically a problem with all externally-adjustable travel forks?

Should I just stick with the Solo Air?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also, what's with the "51mm offset" option? ... sorry, this is a beginner question. I don't really know what that means. I have a Yeti SB-95 and I'm not sure if I want the 51mm offset or not...?

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast