Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike 2014

Demon Cleaner
    I would second Optimus' comments. I don't feel my Fox road low in its travel, but it wasn't as plush or stiff. So far, the Pike is super plush but seems to always have "more" to go. It's like a super trained trail dog that just always wants to go further, longer, rougher, more. I like Fox fine, but I could never get the same combination of small and big hit comfort.

I also find that I ride a lot with it fully open and don't really care. As long as I'm seated and pedaling smooth, it doesn't feel too soft but still give nice small bump compliance.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Don't really know, I didn't pay much attention to it. I never felt that the F34 rode particularly low either. What I do know, at proper sag, my 120mm F34 Talas pre CTD rode too firm in most terrain, yet I could get it to bottom at least once on a typical ride. Dialed such that there was some minimal plushness, I would easily blow through all travel. I never really noticed that it was particularly flimsy either.

Pike 140mm soloair, on the other hand, at proper sag rides very plush when dialed properly. It uses 1/2 of the available travel just riding over rocks and hammering some light downhill chunk. I'm not quite dialed yet, but you really have to push it hard to go much beyond 85% travel use. There is no noticeable transition between the plush feel and the firm feel. Very stiff fork both front to rear, and side to side.

I was always a strict Fox guy. The crap CTD shock that came on the back of my bike was quickly traded for Cane Creek, now I've swapped the fork out for a Pike. My bike rides much better, especially after both front and rear suspensions have been changed. Plush, yet not mushy, nice progression to quite firm when deep in the stroke.

I would echo most of what you said, although I have a CTD shock, so can't compare to a CCDB.
    BTW, mine came with a seal kit and two orange spacer looking thingy's. What are those? Hard being on the bleeding edge because SRAM is slow to print a manual.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bear View Post
    I would echo most of what you said, although I have a CTD shock, so can't compare to a CCDB.
    BTW, mine came with a seal kit and two orange spacer looking thingy's. What are those? Hard being on the bleeding edge because SRAM is slow to print a manual.
    The seal kit is for doing a seal/oil service. The spacer thingies are for changing the volume in your air spring, for tuning the rate of progressiveness. In other words, you can adjust the rate at which your fork transitions from plush to firm.

mtbr member
    The seal kit is for doing a seal/oil service. The spacer thingies are for changing the volume in your air spring, for tuning the rate of progressiveness. In other words, you can adjust the rate at which your fork transitions from plush to firm.
    Thank you! This is my first RS, except for an older Totem, so is this (air spacer & seal kit) common among the various RS forks?
    When would you expect RS to produce a maintenance manual and/or useful owners manual?

Prime
    Minimal info on their site, minimal on youtube. There will be something out soon, either from RS, or individuals posting on youtube etc.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't have a whole lot of time on mine yet as I had to switch out cranks but initial impressions are really good. Stiff, plush and adjustable. Granted I don't have a lot of experience on many recent forks (just traded my '96 habanero in for a '13 Zeus...big step up!) I did have a year with an Ibis mojo equipped with X-fusion Velvet. Other than the maxle (I preferred the X-fusion) the Pike is pretty freaking awesome.

Weird that RS provides no documents online or in the box to help with fork setup but whatever, I'll figure out what feels good over time.

Some were questioning travel adjustability - I have the 27.5 dual air and with a dial on the left leg can adjust min/max travel minimum being 130 to max 160.

So far very stoked with the bike, forks 'n all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pike 2014-a5ks.jpg  

Pike 2014-v57l.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Pike 2014

I got the 150mm 26 pike and am very happy. I have an xfusion velvet 140 and a 2010 fox 150 32 talas fit RLC with kashima. All have tapered and 15qr. The pike is by far the smoothest and despite the fact I only weigh 125lbs the extra stiffness is quite obvious and very welcome even over relatively small bumps like 6" rocks.

The pike only weighs 50g more than my fox so I can't imagine buying a 32 or 34 fox knowing that. The 35 pike is amazing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I can give a limited ride report. So far, Rockshox has a real winner with this fork. Some (me included) wished for 20mm but having a few hours on it now I can say it's not an issue with a solid wheelset.

Background: I've been riding since the mid 90's and was not a rockshox fan until the Lyric; Marzochi until they went to crap then Fox after that was my preference. I ride very rocky S. Cal trails and like AM style riding hitting the intermediate jumps and the tech trails. I've owned just about every fox fork and liked the 36 float on my Nomad but the Lyric solo air was better. I put a Marzochi 55TI on and then took it off after a month as the Lyric was 95% as good on the way down and 100% better up. Now I'm on a 2012 Remedy.

I've spent the last 6 months on a 34 Float 150 and been fighting brake dive so bad I thought the bike it was on just sucked. Combined with the typical-for-Fox doesn't use the last inch of travel, the 34 is a dud IMO. I'm sending mine in for the 2014 damper upgrade but am leaving in a week for a big trip so picked up a Pike so I wasn't without a AM ride. My best decision in quite some time.

First off, the Pike doesn't dive and my bike now handles like it should. Secondly, while sagging a perfect for me 25%, I used all but the last 5mm of travel on my typical trails with a few smaller jumps. Same trail and same sag on the 34 and I never got within an inch of using all the travel. Even if the 2014 parts make the dive issue go away, Fox has had the issue of not using it's last 15% of travel for 10 years so I don't expect that to be cured with the change (I've had 8 different fox forks, they've all been like that).

The Pike felt very stiff in braking and the corners, a noticeable increase from the 34. Not that the 34 is bad but the Pikes increased plushness (yes, it's much more plush than the 34, this is probably the most improved aspect between the two forks and quite surprising for a not even broken in fork) combined with the stiffness is a real confidence booster. I always said the Remedy is more like a long travel trail bike but with this fork it finally feels like an AM bike that's not just capable but also confidence inspiring.

I didn't even really research the new damper thing in there but can say that the platform works very well and can be made anywhere from slight to very solid and everything between. Our rides are pretty much all straight up then straight down so I haven't really tried riding it down with the platform on so can't comment on how it would work somewhere like Arizona with lots of small ups and downs and no time to flip the switch. I have it set with just a few clicks and it's perfect for what I like.

I know some are asking for a comparison vs. the Lyric or 36 but that's just not a fair comparison IMO. The Pike is quite a bit lighter and is more an Enduro (whatever that is) and light-AM fork whereas the Lyric and 36 are at the heavy end of AM and light freeride. For what it's worth, I think if you hit any significant gap jumps or drops over 5 ft you should run the bigger forks. Pike would be fine if you hit everything perfect but screw up and that 10% extra the bigger fork gives might make a difference. If you mostly ride technical trails and stick to the table tops the Pike is the way to go. If I still had a Nomad it would run a Lyric. Remedy carbon is well matched with the Pike.

Only questionable thing is that you are buying into a 1st production run product so who knows what the long term issues will be? For me, the unknown-issues-but-looks-good-now is better than the known issues with the 34.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got a fractured bone in my foot, so no ride report. But, after a neighborhood curb jump test ride, I'd say that this fork is very plush, very smooth, and under hard braking feels very stiff.

Attachment 810305

Attachment 810306
    What is your Rune weighing in at now with the Pike on it?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Photo dog, thanks! Yesterday I walked into Wrench Science with about $1000 for FOX 34, walked out with ordered PIKE ! Good to hear your review. I have owned about 10 FOX forks/shocks and I am hoping this fork is as you reviewed. Fingers crossed! I will be going from Fox Float 32 CTD 150, to PIKE 160. Sweet! I love FOX forks, and I think this PIKE, if it holds tough, is going to up the game of all fork manufactures. This is good for all of us over the next few years. I really wanted a Lyrik after riding friends bike for 4 days, but my 15mm wheels are not convertible. Pike fills the bill with 35 mm stanchions, I hope it is as tuneable as FOX. I don't get super dialed, but I do spend time setting up fork each few rides.

Prime
    I doubt very much that you'll regret your decision, hoolie. I replaced a 140mm F34 on my 29er with the 140mm Pike soloair. I am destroying my previous best elapsed times on all of the downhills that I track. If you've ever ridden on a Cane Creek Double Barrel, this fork has a very similar smooth and bottomless feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got a 2013 Remedy and the FOX 150 32 CTD that came with it SUCKS. Photodog's description of diving sounds like the crappy FOX fork I have on my Remedy. I've been toying with the idea of replacing it with a 2013 Marz 55CR lowered to 150 (or get an angleset and retain the Marz at 170 travel), or a Lyrik. But after seeing photodog's post on the Pike, I have another contender for a new Remedy fork. The black stanchions of the Pike are a + in the looks department IMO (kinda sick of seeing gold stanchions everywhere).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Pike 2014

Have a few rides on my Pike Solo Air 160mm 26" now...

Very stiff compared to the Revelations and Rebas I have been running for years. Tracks great.

Extremely plush, plusher than my Revelation was, even with the big stantions.

Easy setup, pump it up and go, no wasted time finding the fine line between plushness and travel loss as with dual air.

The damper knob came loose right out of the box. I removed the screw, took the knob off, tightened down an odd inner threaded sleeve nut, and it was fine. The damper knob engages with the cartridge using an odd knurled contact point, it is not keyed in any way. This could be a problem, the knob takes real force to turn... No idea why they didn't use a keyed design like all the other RS forks.

Rides high in the travel even when set up pretty soft. Not sure if it is using all the travel when set up with the proper sag. Will be watching this.

New Maxle design is awesome, much easier and grips better (can tell because my roof rack adapter used to slip and now it doesn't).

Decals are not clear coated over so if you don't like them you can easily remove.

Really nice fork. Not sure if it will make my riding better, but it certainly has a nice feel. I am very glad that I chose this over the Fox 34 and Slant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Sounds like the new Pikes are a winner from the reports so far. Pinkbike liked them too.

RockShox Pike - Tested - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is it me or does the pike A/C see, lower then the fox 34 160? My front end sits lower than it did with the fox 34 160 ( I have the pie 160 dual air). The Pike is defiantly more raked than the fox on my 2013 Enduro.

mtbr member
    Fellas w/ this fork, I'm at a toss-up between the Solo-air and The Dual Position Air. I have NO experience w/ the Rockshox travel adjust forks, but the going thinking on Fox is stay away from the TALAS because they're overly complicated to service and all the extra seals make the fork feel like poo. So, need some guidance w/ this. I typically ride the Fox equivalent of the Solo-air (Float...32, 34, and 36). TIA.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Prime
    Soloair is super plush, I have not yet wished that I could shorten the travel, climbs just fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just a quick heads up, the new spesh camber evo top model uses a 29" pike reduced to 120mm travel so some parts must be available to reduce travel of solo air models at least at oem level.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Pike 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ben_stamp View Post
    Just a quick heads up, the new spesh camber evo top model uses a 29" pike reduced to 120mm travel so some parts must be available to reduce travel of solo air models at least at oem level.
    They make all kinds of stuff we can't buy. Certain sizes of monarch xx for instance. It's really unfortunate.

mtbr member
    Has anyone used/installed the "Tokens" to make the air spring more progressive? Am interested in this fork and like a slightly progressive spring. Would be interested to hear how easy/hard it is to install the tokens, how many tokens used, and what effect it has on the spring.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I recently read something about Push industries releasing spacers to tune the air chamber for the new Fox forks, anyone who has complaints like above try these out? Seems like maybe Fox missed the mark on the air chamber volume and this could iron that out. It's a bummer to hear all the negative Fox talk on here lately, I always wanted to own a bike with a Fox Fork since the were the shizz back in the day.

I am very interested in this new Pike for my Trek Stache 7 (currently has Recon Silver TK29) but as a diehard motocross guy I'm not a fan of the black coating on the sliders (I love gold!!!). I feel like I've seen Walmart bikes with cheapo forks with black coated sliders and it just makes me think cheap and that it will eventually wear down/off and look even cheaper. This seem possible?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    About the FOX CTD, I am no fan, I would rather they put a light switch, like on my wall. On or off! Simple. I DO think the CTD needs to have accurate oil levels to work correctly. The fact that some and not others have problems would indicate oil levels from factory would be culprit, not the mechanical parts, as they would be identical. In addition to my FOX CTD Float 150 32, I have a TALAS 29er. I don't know what the TALAS is supposed to do. Useless to advanced riders. I try to use it sometimes so I feel better about the money I spent to get remote lockout for singlespeed. In general, i really like the FOX products as they have served me well. Pike still on order, I think I missed fast shipping by a week, as the demand is rising and supplies dwindling? C'mon shipper guy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    10 or so additional hours since my previous review and I'm appreciating the fork even more. Very solid fork and much more plush than the 34 was. 34 is on it's way to Fox for the "fix," I will toss it back on when it's back. If the diving issue is solved it is still a really good fork... but the Pike is better.

Tryinghard and Hoolie: that 32 150mm is a joke! You guys are going to be really pleased with the Pike. What a horrible spec by some product manager in the midwest that 32/150 is. The Remedy is such a great bike but nobody knows about it because it's handicapped by a noodle of a fork and super crappy wheels. $5k for a 9.8 that needs another $1800 into it to make is as good as a $5k Ibis is just dumb. Loving mine now though, one of my favorite bikes right next to my Nomad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks photodog. I'm seriously considering the 2013 Pike 150 now. Sounds like the perfect replacement for the crappy FOX 32 150 CTD. It's currently a fight between the 2013 Pike and the 2013 Marz 55CR. Hmmmm... Hmmmm....
    Last edited by tryinghardrider; 07-19-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Changed years

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Someone clear this out please;

perfect version of pike for me would be:

29, dual position air, 140mm
    Will it be possible to get this version? Would really like the dual air (140-110mm) as i have some quite steep ascents...

what is the product number (i cannot find it anywhere...)

Thx, M

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast