Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Pedal Bob? You gotta be kidding me!!

Having ridden a Turner 5-Spot (2005) with coil over Fox shock on rear, I never experienced the pedal bob phenom. I cracked the top tube (after almost 8 years and 20K miles) on the Turner frame (yes, its beyond warranty) and have had to borrow a Giant RMS frame from a buddy. The frame has the Rock Shok air shock on the rear. Imagine my surprise when I adjusted the pressure for my weight only to find myself bouncing up and down like a freakin bunny rabbit with every pedal stroke. This is a loaner frame.. I do have the coil over shock from my Turner and think it would work. So, without swapping all of my buddy's loaner frame parts out, is there any REASONABLE way to stop this energy wasting event?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Trak Mind View Post
    Having ridden a Turner 5-Spot (2005) with coil over Fox shock on rear, I never experienced the pedal bob phenom. I cracked the top tube (after almost 8 years and 20K miles) on the Turner frame (yes, its beyond warranty) and have had to borrow a Giant RMS frame from a buddy. The frame has the Rock Shok air shock on the rear. Imagine my surprise when I adjusted the pressure for my weight only to find myself bouncing up and down like a freakin bunny rabbit with every pedal stroke. This is a loaner frame.. I do have the coil over shock from my Turner and think it would work. So, without swapping all of my buddy's loaner frame parts out, is there any REASONABLE way to stop this energy wasting event?
    What's a Giant RMS ? Couldn't find one on a Google search. If the bike "bobs" you can lessen the effect by employing smoother pedal strokes, also adding more psi & slower rebound to the shock. I am guessing the shock has no pedal platform ?

"El Whatever"
    If you mean a Giant NRS you should set it up with zero sag... 10% as much.

That is how that bike was designed to be run.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I released all air from the lower chamber of the Rock Shok rig. After messing with this thing for two days, Im done. I just now changed out the air shock with the coil over Fox shock I had on the read of my Turner frame.. WOW! Sorry about the misidentification of the Giant NRS 2...but.. Yeah.. Its a new ride, on a borrowed frame... And now, I ride. Thanks fellas.........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doesn't a 2005 Turner 5 spot run a 7.5" eye to eye shock and the NRS a 6.5" ?

"El Whatever"
    I released all air from the lower chamber of the Rock Shok rig. After messing with this thing for two days, Im done. I just now changed out the air shock with the coil over Fox shock I had on the read of my Turner frame.. WOW! Sorry about the misidentification of the Giant NRS 2...but.. Yeah.. Its a new ride, on a borrowed frame... And now, I ride. Thanks fellas.........
    Did you try to run the suspension with 0% sag???

That bike was designed for the suspension not to sag under your weight, but activate while finding a bump. It had a reputation for being harsh when set up properly but bob when set to more than 10% sag.

Also, it could be that the damper is shot and hence having a pogo effect.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Did you try to run the suspension with 0% sag???

That bike was designed for the suspension not to sag under your weight, but activate while finding a bump. It had a reputation for being harsh when set up properly but bob when set to more than 10% sag.

Also, it could be that the damper is shot and hence having a pogo effect.
    Yup, the NRS with any sag is terrible, will bob like crazy. Run with no sag, it gives a very efficient ride with a small degree of comfort on big hits. Gotta love people who have no idea what they are doing...

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    The shocks are not compatible and a coil on a NRS is ridiculous.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    LMFAO.. Im a 280 lb rider. The shocks transferred fine although it did raise the ass end of the NRS 2 about 1/2". Rides great now, its much stiffer, no fast rebound, no pedal bob and I must say, I do appreciate all feedback.. lmfao.. Rode the NRS 2 yesteday for a 34 mile x-country excursion. Great ride now!! I originally adjusted the Rock Shok so there was NO SAG, maximum pressure recommendation of 250 was exceeded by 50 psi...........and still BOBBED like a sum ***** with my weight cranking on the pedals. lol.. The Fox Coil Over,,,yeah,, it fixed it and now, I ride. Have a nice night fellas and keep those cards and letters coming. Oh, I did mention in the beginning of this diatribe that the frame was borrowed and is a 2004 rig. Not interested in keeping the thing. Its only borrowed until I can locate another Turner 5-Spot (2004 thru whatever).. It serves its purpose. I ride it. It doesnt bob now and my legs are happy again.

mtbr member
    MTBR responds with several concerns and suggestions but you laugh them off, stating that the shock bolted in place so it must be 'fine'.

I can only assume you expected everyone to applaud your ingenuity and you weren't very interested in learning anything or in constructive criticism. Mission accomplished!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where are the pics ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Riders Beware!! It does exist!! (The Question)

Question: Is mountain biking supposed to be an enjoyable experience or should it be surrounded by egotistical butt heads that make it a "look at me, look at me, see what I can do" experience? Or, should a ride be about riding and enjoying the hell out of it? Hmmm..

Just wondering. See posts in SUSPENSION for "Pedal bob, are you kidding me" Responses from dudes that only read what they want to read are just well,,,, never mind. LMFAO!

Thanks all. Have a nice day and if yer out for a ride, hope it was good. After my IPOD is finished charging, "a riding we shall go."

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I thought this was going to be a post about Bigfoot!

Now I have to leave disappointed.

Last edited by BobbyWilliams; 11-27-2012 at 01:41 PM.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    It's funny but I came to this post (based on a rant in the General Forum) expecting to find everybody outright slamming you. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sorry you feel beat down but really go back and read everyone's response.

You have a bike that was not designed for your replacement shock, both in type and more importantly SIZE. If you are fine with it, great. You asked for thoughts and that is exactly what you got. The fact that you do not agree with them is your problem and your coping mechanism is to slam the posters.

I don't know you or any of the other posters from a hill of beans but just who is being the ass here?
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

bust a move
    Passion???

Please move this mods
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

Bike Snob
    Apparently the OP does not enjoy his outdoor experience enough to leave the Ipod at home.

I am just going to say it.....lame.

Never Forget 9-11
    Question: Is mountain biking supposed to be an enjoyable experience or should it be surrounded by egotistical butt heads that make it a "look at me, look at me, see what I can do" experience? Or, should a ride be about riding and enjoying the hell out of it? Hmmm..

Just wondering. See posts in SUSPENSION for "Pedal bob, are you kidding me" Responses from dudes that only read what they want to read are just well,,,, never mind. LMFAO!

Thanks all. Have a nice day and if yer out for a ride, hope it was good. After my IPOD is finished charging, "a riding we shall go."

So you feel the need to post this in multiple forums?
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

HAHA PWN
    I don't care what the other thinks, but I would love to see this Frankenstein of a bike that you have. Pics please?

mtbr member
    This was uneventful....I want the 5 minutes of my life back.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    "Look at me, look at me" indeed.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by FujNoob View Post
    So you feel the need to post this in multiple forums?
    Hey, lighten up.

He is providing entertainment in multiple forums.

Time to bring on the sarcasm

Magura

So does this count as obnoxious Russian spam? Cuz I think I reported it as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Sondoesthis count as obnoxious Russian spam? Cuz I think I reported it as such.

I think more like butt hurt French surrender monkey.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    "Look at me, look at me" indeed.

It's called the peacock syndrome.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I think more like butt hurt French surrender monkey.
    You're really on a roll today

Great to see you in such a great mood.

Magura

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast