Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 59
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    18

    Pedal Bob? You gotta be kidding me!!

    Having ridden a Turner 5-Spot (2005) with coil over Fox shock on rear, I never experienced the pedal bob phenom. I cracked the top tube (after almost 8 years and 20K miles) on the Turner frame (yes, its beyond warranty) and have had to borrow a Giant RMS frame from a buddy. The frame has the Rock Shok air shock on the rear. Imagine my surprise when I adjusted the pressure for my weight only to find myself bouncing up and down like a freakin bunny rabbit with every pedal stroke. This is a loaner frame.. I do have the coil over shock from my Turner and think it would work. So, without swapping all of my buddy's loaner frame parts out, is there any REASONABLE way to stop this energy wasting event?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Trak Mind View Post
    Having ridden a Turner 5-Spot (2005) with coil over Fox shock on rear, I never experienced the pedal bob phenom. I cracked the top tube (after almost 8 years and 20K miles) on the Turner frame (yes, its beyond warranty) and have had to borrow a Giant RMS frame from a buddy. The frame has the Rock Shok air shock on the rear. Imagine my surprise when I adjusted the pressure for my weight only to find myself bouncing up and down like a freakin bunny rabbit with every pedal stroke. This is a loaner frame.. I do have the coil over shock from my Turner and think it would work. So, without swapping all of my buddy's loaner frame parts out, is there any REASONABLE way to stop this energy wasting event?
    What's a Giant RMS ? Couldn't find one on a Google search. If the bike "bobs" you can lessen the effect by employing smoother pedal strokes, also adding more psi & slower rebound to the shock. I am guessing the shock has no pedal platform ?

  3. #3
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,830
    If you mean a Giant NRS you should set it up with zero sag... 10% as much.

    That is how that bike was designed to be run.
    Check my Site

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    18
    I released all air from the lower chamber of the Rock Shok rig. After messing with this thing for two days, Im done. I just now changed out the air shock with the coil over Fox shock I had on the read of my Turner frame.. WOW! Sorry about the misidentification of the Giant NRS 2...but.. Yeah.. Its a new ride, on a borrowed frame... And now, I ride. Thanks fellas.........

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,015
    Doesn't a 2005 Turner 5 spot run a 7.5" eye to eye shock and the NRS a 6.5" ?

  6. #6
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Trak Mind View Post
    I released all air from the lower chamber of the Rock Shok rig. After messing with this thing for two days, Im done. I just now changed out the air shock with the coil over Fox shock I had on the read of my Turner frame.. WOW! Sorry about the misidentification of the Giant NRS 2...but.. Yeah.. Its a new ride, on a borrowed frame... And now, I ride. Thanks fellas.........
    Did you try to run the suspension with 0% sag???

    That bike was designed for the suspension not to sag under your weight, but activate while finding a bump. It had a reputation for being harsh when set up properly but bob when set to more than 10% sag.

    Also, it could be that the damper is shot and hence having a pogo effect.
    Check my Site

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Did you try to run the suspension with 0% sag???

    That bike was designed for the suspension not to sag under your weight, but activate while finding a bump. It had a reputation for being harsh when set up properly but bob when set to more than 10% sag.

    Also, it could be that the damper is shot and hence having a pogo effect.
    Yup, the NRS with any sag is terrible, will bob like crazy. Run with no sag, it gives a very efficient ride with a small degree of comfort on big hits. Gotta love people who have no idea what they are doing...

  8. #8
    Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Reputation: Boulder Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,461
    The shocks are not compatible and a coil on a NRS is ridiculous.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    18
    LMFAO.. Im a 280 lb rider. The shocks transferred fine although it did raise the ass end of the NRS 2 about 1/2". Rides great now, its much stiffer, no fast rebound, no pedal bob and I must say, I do appreciate all feedback.. lmfao.. Rode the NRS 2 yesteday for a 34 mile x-country excursion. Great ride now!! I originally adjusted the Rock Shok so there was NO SAG, maximum pressure recommendation of 250 was exceeded by 50 psi...........and still BOBBED like a sum ***** with my weight cranking on the pedals. lol.. The Fox Coil Over,,,yeah,, it fixed it and now, I ride. Have a nice night fellas and keep those cards and letters coming. Oh, I did mention in the beginning of this diatribe that the frame was borrowed and is a 2004 rig. Not interested in keeping the thing. Its only borrowed until I can locate another Turner 5-Spot (2004 thru whatever).. It serves its purpose. I ride it. It doesnt bob now and my legs are happy again.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,958
    MTBR responds with several concerns and suggestions but you laugh them off, stating that the shock bolted in place so it must be 'fine'.

    I can only assume you expected everyone to applaud your ingenuity and you weren't very interested in learning anything or in constructive criticism. Mission accomplished!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,015
    Where are the pics ?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    18

    Riders Beware!! It does exist!! (The Question)

    Question: Is mountain biking supposed to be an enjoyable experience or should it be surrounded by egotistical butt heads that make it a "look at me, look at me, see what I can do" experience? Or, should a ride be about riding and enjoying the hell out of it? Hmmm..

    Just wondering. See posts in SUSPENSION for "Pedal bob, are you kidding me" Responses from dudes that only read what they want to read are just well,,,, never mind. LMFAO!

    Thanks all. Have a nice day and if yer out for a ride, hope it was good. After my IPOD is finished charging, "a riding we shall go."

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    252
    I thought this was going to be a post about Bigfoot!

    Now I have to leave disappointed.

    Last edited by BobbyWilliams; 11-27-2012 at 02:41 PM.

  14. #14
    BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Reputation: bankerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,543
    It's funny but I came to this post (based on a rant in the General Forum) expecting to find everybody outright slamming you. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sorry you feel beat down but really go back and read everyone's response.

    You have a bike that was not designed for your replacement shock, both in type and more importantly SIZE. If you are fine with it, great. You asked for thoughts and that is exactly what you got. The fact that you do not agree with them is your problem and your coping mechanism is to slam the posters.

    I don't know you or any of the other posters from a hill of beans but just who is being the ass here?
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

  15. #15
    bust a move
    Reputation: 2ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,978
    Passion???

    Please move this mods
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

  16. #16
    Bike Snob
    Reputation: can't get right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,256
    Apparently the OP does not enjoy his outdoor experience enough to leave the Ipod at home.

    I am just going to say it.....lame.

  17. #17
    Never Forget 9-11
    Reputation: FujNoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Trak Mind View Post
    Question: Is mountain biking supposed to be an enjoyable experience or should it be surrounded by egotistical butt heads that make it a "look at me, look at me, see what I can do" experience? Or, should a ride be about riding and enjoying the hell out of it? Hmmm..

    Just wondering. See posts in SUSPENSION for "Pedal bob, are you kidding me" Responses from dudes that only read what they want to read are just well,,,, never mind. LMFAO!

    Thanks all. Have a nice day and if yer out for a ride, hope it was good. After my IPOD is finished charging, "a riding we shall go."


    So you feel the need to post this in multiple forums?
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

  18. #18
    HAHA PWN
    Reputation: Vhom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    177
    I don't care what the other thinks, but I would love to see this Frankenstein of a bike that you have. Pics please?

  19. #19
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    This was uneventful....I want the 5 minutes of my life back.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,572
    "Look at me, look at me" indeed.

  21. #21
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by FujNoob View Post
    So you feel the need to post this in multiple forums?
    Hey, lighten up.

    He is providing entertainment in multiple forums.

    Time to bring on the sarcasm


    Magura

  22. #22
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    So does this count as obnoxious Russian spam? Cuz I think I reported it as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  23. #23
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Sondoesthis count as obnoxious Russian spam? Cuz I think I reported it as such.




    I think more like butt hurt French surrender monkey.

  24. #24
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,776
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    "Look at me, look at me" indeed.

    It's called the peacock syndrome.

  25. #25
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I think more like butt hurt French surrender monkey.
    You're really on a roll today

    Great to see you in such a great mood.


    Magura

  26. #26
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    Bastard, you got the quote before the edit.

    I haven't seen a white flag yet so my bombs are all locked and ready to fire; and I think my finger is slipping…
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  27. #27
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  28. #28
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    If I loaned a buddy a FS bike and he proceeded to Frankenbike it with ill fitting parts, well...
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  29. #29
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,687
    Mtb. isn't "supposed" to be anything. It's whatever you want it to be/mean for you.

    Whatever I want it to be/mean for me.

    And so on.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  30. #30
    no trees are safe
    Reputation: Millfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    501
    So... what is this thread about?

    also: Ew! iPod!

  31. #31
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Where are the pics ?
    You'll have to look carefully, behind the sign.


  32. #32
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post

    also: Ew! iPod!
    I know, right?

    I mean, streaming off your phone is just so much more convenient.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  33. #33
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Damn, and I thought mountain biking was all about drinking beer.

  34. #34
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Damn, and I thought mountain biking was all about drinking beer.
    Seems reasonable. I always though drinking beer was about riding bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  35. #35
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    There was a bully in here? Where?
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  36. #36
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Yup, the NRS with any sag is terrible, will bob like crazy. Run with no sag, it gives a very efficient ride with a small degree of comfort on big hits. Gotta love people who have no idea what they are doing...
    I gave you rep and forgot to tag myself. Well said!
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  37. #37
    A waste of time it is is
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Damn, and I thought mountain biking was all about drinking beer.
    No, that's single speeding

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,723
    I was riding the other day, and I was stopped waiting for a friend, and up pulled these two dudes on Spec. Enduros, one red, one blue, and they had real serious looks on their faces. They almost looked like twins, actually. And what struck me funny was that they both had iPod buds in their ears, and neither said hello to me, just kept the serious look on their face.

    They reminded me of those preppy teen antagonists one would always see in like John Hughes movies from the 80's.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    I think the OP forgot to Do the Dew

  40. #40
    canuck
    Reputation: Aaron D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    695
    Is this still happening...

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    I thought this was going to be a post about Bigfoot!

    Now I have to leave disappointed.
    No, Bobby. You don't have to leave. And, you don't have to be disappointed. We can make this a thread about Bigfoot. Just me, you, and sasquatch. And if anyone else wants to join in, well, the more the merrier. I'll start.

    My favorite character on the Discovery Channel show 'Finding Bigfoot' is by far, Bobo. I mean, c'mon - the guy looks just like a Bigfoot. Every time the do a re-enactment who do they choose to sit in for bigfoot? One of the goofy skinny dudes? The butch looking chick? Nope. They choose Bobo and rightfully so. The guy is just plain awesome. Hell, let's just make this thread about Bobo.

    .

  42. #42
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    I came in here to see why the OP was butt hurt and can't find it.

  43. #43
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    I mean seriously, how fugging hard can he be to find?


  44. #44
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    402
    Same here. OP, people are just giving you advice....
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  45. #45
    I sweep myself
    Reputation: slomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    141
    It's not nearly "Squatchy" enough in here.
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

  46. #46
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201

  47. #47
    Ridin' Furry
    Reputation: Huskywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    312
    Do not forget to make threads about the following topics OP
    Any of the following thread topics will make you respected around her'e

    "Lance what do"

    "29ers vs 26ers"
    "
    Full suspension vs No suspension"

    "What should i Buy plz halp me pick"

    "I Ride SS lol"

    ~Cheers

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    586
    To the OP.....lucky you! ....I can't ride with an IPOD in my "neck of the woods" I have to pay attention and watch out for large felines and bears.......and Bigfoot???

  49. #49
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    OP, ive just finished reading you other post exactly the same but under a dif name and that was bad enough, i think your crying out for attention mate, so im sending you some lol........
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  50. #50
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskywolf View Post
    Do not forget to make threads about the following topics OP
    Any of the following thread topics will make you respected around her'e

    "Lance what do"

    "29ers vs 26ers"
    "
    Full suspension vs No suspension"

    "What should i Buy plz halp me pick"

    "I Ride SS lol"

    ~Cheers
    Wait! You left out:
    "A roadie didn't wave at me today", and "Clipless or not?". I haven't seen NEARLY enough of those queries in the last 48 hours...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •