Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Pace Fighter Carbon 2009

Hi guys,

I was in my local bike shop today and was offered a brand new pair of Pace Fighter forks from 2009. I think they have 150mm of travel, look great and are very light.

Now they have been hanging around in the shop since 2009 and the price they offered me was 275.

I currently run with Manitou Minute 1:00 forks which could probably do with a service, but other than that work perfectly fine.

However, I can be susceptible to a spot of carbon and would like some advice of whether I should shed some weight and cash, and bolt these on? I know that Pace sold out to DT Swiss and therefore the components are the same.

What are your thoughts?????

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I bought some 2006 versions recently for 100 sadly bushes are shot so another 100 haven't gotten around to sorting them, had ride before they completely died and did ride a mates years back.

There cracking forks, super stiff even in QR version, linear stroke, not much brake dive, tunable, travel dropable for climbing and look great to. Very very light aswell.

Down side is there abit tempermental, I wouldn't have them as your only forks / bikes as they do need a lot of servicing, most you can DIY easily except the bushes.

If you do get them, you have to prime the damper after it's been upside down, by :-

Pushing in the lockout, compressing the fork, release and keep going until the fork locks down, otherwise they'll be a total pogo stick.

Rebound damping on the top knob is kinda weird to, not ridden it enough to be annoyed though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Would you suggest I should bother changing my Manitou minute 1's for them? Do you think that the price of 275 for a brand new pair would be good value?

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    275 for a brand new pair, I think thats got to be done personally major bargain there 800+ new or something insane, I think they where 600 back then or something.

Just don't sell the minutes keep them as well spares

Hopefully get mine sent off and get the FS back on the trails in a week or 3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Now would it just be better to spend 300 on some second hand fox forks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think the paces work better, there stiffer, plusher, but the fox's should be more fit and forget, personally I'd go RS rather than Fox cheaper and last longer.

Minutes are good forks though, those and Nixon's only good forks, manipoo made.

mtbr member
    I'd go for a Pace/DT instead of a Fox anyday too. Very nice forks, very effective setup parameters and very easy to fine-tune at home (open oil bath).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone else have Pace experience? I can't help but feel they are a bit gimmicky, where as fox produce forks made to do the job from high quality components.

mtbr member
    I have a Pace RC40 fork from around 2006 and they have worked superbly since I bought them. they went back to Pace last December for a rebuild/service but sadly haven't had a lot of use since then so I'm considering selling them.
    2008 Enduro Expert
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    2013 Yeti SB66 (WIP)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How much would you sell them for? What is the difference between the Pace RC40 and RC41? Is it just a later year?

mtbr member
    the RC40 is coil, the RC41 is air. I'd probably try to sell them for around 300 considering the condition they're in...

They're only 130mm BTW...
    2008 Enduro Expert
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    2013 Yeti SB66 (WIP)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olliechapman_2 View Post
    Anyone else have Pace experience? I can't help but feel they are a bit gimmicky, where as fox produce forks made to do the job from high quality components.
    Actually it's more or less the other way around. Fox indeed has the high quality, nicely machined interieur. But the setup options were always far more limited.
    I had several 36 RC2 forks and none of them had a good compression adjustment. The Pace/DT has a knob for low speed compression which is really effective and lets you tune the fork nicely (you can set if from extremely plush to something almost Terralogic).
    By changing the oil you can fine-tune progression and can get rid of "spikes" (which happen if you close the damping too much and use low weight oil).
    The latest runs of the 40 and 41 should have been available in both 130 and 150mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So which is regarded as a better fork? The air or coil... Pace are starting to sound like a bit of a winner!

mtbr member
    I guess that depends on how you look at it.
    Coil is great if the coil fits your weight and riding style. If it doesn't it may (haven't checked) be harder to find the right coil spring as the fork is rather rare. It may be easier to maintain though as it doesn't have the air seals.
    The air fork is also very plush and gives you full control over your setup. If something happens though you'd need a new set of seals. Travel adjust should also be nicer on the air model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Last summer I bought on heavy discount a brand new set of DT Swiss XMC 130 2008 carbon forks (air spring) which is exactly the same as the Pace RC41. Actually this was when DT Swiss bought Pace Cycles and re-branded without obvious changes their fork line.
    Unfortunatelly the forks since new leaked oil from both lower legs where the 13mm nuts fit. This leak was present on both legs with no air in the fork When I pumped some air to get pressure to around 70psi leaking stopped, and that's why I didn't send them back for refund.
    However a few days ago I finally finished assembly of my new full suspension bike and the forks started leaking again only from the left leg (air chamber side) but the leak is about a large drop daily.
    I searched Pace RC41 manual and notices that seals should be replaced no later than 2 years, so I think that the seals on my forks are already worn out even if the forks are new and unused.
    Here's the manual:

http://www.pacecycles.com/PDFs/RC40_RC41.pdf

Anybody knows if I can replace these by myself or where in Europe should I send the forks for service;
    They are great forks so no replacement with something else in mind.

Here's what I found from Pace:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mipi; 08-16-2011 at 02:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I heard last night that pace operate from a Yorkshire base. Apparently the service is really good. You can go to them with your forks. They give you a spare pair which you can install and ride around the forest next to the centre.

Apologies but I can't remember the exact location.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks!
    Unfortunately I am located in Greece so the only option is shipping the forks to them. I will try to find any address or mail to ask them.

mtbr member
    Pace Cycles Limited, Unit 1 Dalby Forest Courtyard, Low Dalby, Thornton Le Dale, North Yorkshire, UK
    YO18 7LT
    Tel; +44 (0) 1751-460599. Email info@pacecycles.com
    2008 Enduro Expert
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    2013 Yeti SB66 (WIP)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ordered a seal kit from Pace 18 I think it was, so 20euro's I'd guess, you can drop the lowers off ( tap the bolts out gentle or the alloy deforms and making putting the nut back on a barsteward ) and replace the seals easily enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you so much guys for the info.
    I'll drop them an e-mail to ask first if the XMC 130 2008 sealing kit includes the same parts as the one they (hopefully) have in stock for the Pace RC41.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy Jules View Post
    Pace Cycles Limited, Unit 1 Dalby Forest Courtyard, Low Dalby, Thornton Le Dale, North Yorkshire, UK
    YO18 7LT
    Tel; +44 (0) 1751-460599. Email info@pacecycles.com
    Just sent them an e-mail and asked for compatibility of the seal kit they have with my DT Swiss forks.
    Lets see...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    I ordered a seal kit from Pace 18 I think it was, so 20euro's I'd guess, you can drop the lowers off ( tap the bolts out gentle or the alloy deforms and making putting the nut back on a barsteward ) and replace the seals easily enough.
    Is it so easy; You mean that after loosening the 10mm (or 13, can't remember exactly) hexagon bolts I have to tap them with, say, a rubber mallet and then unscrew completely; I can understand this on the left leg side but on the right there is the rebound dial.

Then the o-ring seals are on the bolt shafts;

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rebound dial is at the top, there is a compression adjuster down there, make sure thats wound fully in and on both, I'd leave the bolts on and unscrew them so your hitting the bolts not the adjust / middle bar anyway.

I bought seal kit 2 months back, only replaced the main air piston sleeve, so if you get stuck let me know, but they have got the Fighter kits in there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    Rebound dial is at the top, there is a compression adjuster down there, make sure thats wound fully in and on both, I'd leave the bolts on and unscrew them so your hitting the bolts not the adjust / middle bar anyway.

I bought seal kit 2 months back, only replaced the main air piston sleeve, so if you get stuck let me know, but they have got the Fighter kits in there.
    Yes you are right, it's the compression dial below the right leg.
    It's very kind of you about the seal kit. I hope they reply and have in stock the XCAM kit, which I don't know for sure but want to believe will be the same parts for the later DT Swiss XMC130 of 2008 year.
    XCAM and Fighter use same seal kit;

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Pace just replied:

"Hi there
    we can supply a wiper seal kit- the original DT version, price 29.95 plus shipping to Greece.
    Hope this helps.Pace
    "

So is 29.95 (about 34.5 euro or 48.80 USD) excluding shipping a fair price for what's included;
    I have no idea what's in the seal kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast