mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Opinions on 09 Revelation air

Hey Guys,

I was wondering how the 09 revelations are holding up. I am looking to get rid of some weight. I am currently on a upgraded 07 All Mtn. 1. I would be loosing about a pound and gaining some standover. I am curious how you would think this fork would compare. I assume the dual air spring can be set up pretty well. I currently have my marz lowered to 150 mm. So i will loose 10 mm. I feel that loss of travel really will not be noticed. I am looking at the air u-turn model w/20 mm axle. Thanks for any info the reviews seem favorable.

Tom

TNC
    noMAD man
    Tom, isn't the dual air, Motion Control '07 130mm Revelation basically the same damper and spring deal? If so, I have that fork, and it has been on 3 bikes at this point...a '99 trail Bullit, an '00 Big Hit Enduro, and now an '08 SJ FSR Comp. I love this fork. The dual air system has been totally reliable and the MoCo damper is awesome. Oh...and the fork weighs 3.78lbs. I'd buy a 140mm dual air Rev in a heartbeat...and just might, for that '08 SJ.

wuss
    I have an 08 Revelation Dual Air and it's great. I don't think there is really any big changes to 09 on the QR version. I'd say a very recomendable fork, and very reliable. However you'd want to be comparing the axel to crown height instead of the suspension height to understand what a difference you will have in handling, Marzocchi are usually pretty tall for the amount of suspension you get, would not be suprised if you get 20mm more height difference then you expect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks for the replies

I am pretty sure i will loose about 20mm or better of axle to crown. Which is fine I can make that up in spacers under the stem. As it stands w/ the marz. I have no spacers and the bars are well over an inch above my saddle. The HA now is about 67.5 or so and I think handling would be a bit improved if it was about 69. The cool thing is the maxle light is on the 09 which would also be a great improvement. Just was wondering about things like: seals,bushing,travel adjust issues if any. Some of those problems that show up on new expensive forks to me is a huge annoyance. I have actually written off fox for numerous issues that were WITHIN TOLERANCES or NORMAL. Bushing slop,weepy seals,play in axle are not acceptable for forks in this price range. How does the revelation handle small to big hits?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rock Shox seems to understand QC quite well. I have an older model Rev, I've bashed it on stuff that's thrown my wheel out of true and it didn't so much as flinch. The seals seem to hold up well in the wet muck and mud. Consistant too, it works the same today as it did when it was broken in.

Not much has changed from 08 to 09, if anything it is sharing design charactistics with the Pike, another fantastic fork.

mtbr member
    I have an 09 Rev. Dual Air TA right now. I love the fork, its stiff, plush, and tracks wonderfully. The fork is easy to work on, and I have to say I'm quite happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks for the reply

I am liking my all mtn ok. I know everyone really likes coil forks but I feel my marz. is super plush on small-med hits and ramps up pretty significantly at the end. Like it lacks a bit mid stroke support. Which translates into less big hit compliance. It is pretty soft intially which is great for small bump compliance but then it seems to blow thru the travel to the point of not mediating the bigger hits well. I had the complete opposite issue w/ the last couple 36 forks I tried. Awsome big hit, terrible small bump. I guess I am looking for a happy medium also it wouldn't be too shabby to loose a pound in the process. I am hoping the revalation is a bit more consitant thru the travel.

Tom

banned
    Man, with your turnover of forks, I'd think you'd be a Turner Homer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My reason for soo many forks is I am lighter and have issues w/ alot of forks valving. Things are usually overdamped. Also had too many issues w/ fox. I just figure why drag around the extra weight if a fork does not perform as well as one that weighs over a pound less. I am on a 08 Reign by the way. I am also going to stay w/ 32 mm stanctions 35 & 36 have a bit more stiction due to there size. A well designed 32mm fork will be fine for me as long as it does not exceed 150mm of travel.

Tom

banned
    Why not convert your AM RC2 to coil on one side, spring on the other, like the Z1 RC2/Light configuration?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not sure what you mean JC.Isn't coil and spring the same thing? I have an all mtn w/ one side coil and the other side damper. You mean run 2 coils to get rid of the lack of mid stroke? Problem is right now my air preload does not even register on a normal pump. I actually have to count the pump strokes.

Tom

banned
    Oh, I acutally thought you had an SL. You're absolutely right; the air space in those Zokes is large and you typically don't want to use pressure, as much as pump strokes. Towards the end, you're talking sometimes fractions of a stroke. Perhaps you can run 2 coils, though I don't know if that part is available for the coil on the RC2 side. You can also increase oil height slightly (a bit does a lot) until you get some more mid-stroke support due to earlier ramp-up. In my case, riding heavy, I found midstroke on the Z1 Light RC2 very good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jc !!!!

Hey Jc would you happen to know the oil heights min to max measured from the crown. Honestly w/ the dependability of this fork and my past issues w/ other forks. I have my reservations about making the change. This fork just flat out works. I am looking to get better mid stroke and better big hit compliance. The 36 had this in spades and my nixon super also performed better in this respect. But both did suffer in other areas where this fork accels. Also like I said dropping a pound plus weight would be a added bonus. I know you have a z-1 light did you ever try 5 wt. damper oil? Also will the eta side function OK w/ 5 wt. Thanks for the info.

Tom