Huckin' trails

Listen! Old SID and Judy deal, need inputs please

Hi guys, browsing trough my local classified I found a guy selling 3 older forks, with fair prices.

Called him and since he was in a meeting, he's supposed to call me back soon, but at least he told me all 3 forks were still available.

link to the ad : Rock shox - SID - hydra air + Judy SL + SID dual air - Ville de Montréal vélos à vendre - Kijiji Ville de Montréal

pic of the forks and ad :

Old SID and Judy deal, need inputs please-%24-kgrhqf-qkf-9gdgzchbqgfrmev2-%7E%7E48_20.jpg

Old SID and Judy deal, need inputs please-capture-d%92%E9cran-2012-11-22-%E0-16.58.15.png

I do know the Judy and SID model forks, but not in details enough to know what exactly they are worth in value and if they would require much investment in terms of rebuild, in the way I don't know much about the internals of the two black ones. I can do all the work, but I don't want to buy it and get stuck with a fork I won't use much and gave me trouble.

I'd be more interested into the SID, but again don't know if they are worth it for the price. Doesn't mind spending time working on them, but don't want to waste money if in the end it cost me more than my current Dart 2 fork I'll be replacing on my urban commuter bike.I guess a regular cleaning and oil change would do, but anything else than changing seals would be a deal-breaker, I'd rather pass on. Much more for having good working forks for cheap for commuter and fun purpose than actually any serious MTBing.

Thanks !

edit. btw I know SID and Judy forks are not the same, he just made a mistake in the description I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Those are older than the SIDs I've overhauled (pre 2001). So, I can't really offer much in the way of advice on those.

I do seem to remember from a previous conversation that you were looking for a 100mm travel fork? I'd be willing to bet those are 63mm travel. Maybe 80mm at the most.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Huckin' trails
    They probably are.

Trying to sort out each one.

Yellow one would appear to be a 80/100mm Judy SL Hydra air.

Middle black one with no stickers might be a SID or Judy SL, probably 63/80mm.

Right black one is a SID that is described as Dual Air, probably 63mm travel.

Actually those won't be for my XC bike, I'm just always keeping an eye out for good deals on decent forks to use on my commuters and other duty bikes. If it's nothing big to change, $30 is pretty good for a Dual Air SID. Although the yellow Judy would be a good replacement for my Dart 2 since it won't freeze over the winter like my lowers on the Dart 2, then just sell the Dart.

I'll call him back.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    Well called the guy and here's the deal :

Yellow one is a 1998 Judy SL that needs a new oil cartridge.
    Middle black no-stickers is a 1999 SID Dual Air that also needs a new oil cartridge.
    Black SID is a 2000 SID Hydra Air in very good working order.

Unless I can find an oil cartridge for cheap, I'll pass on those.

Huckin' trails
    Just read that actually those oil cartridge while being sealed, can actually be opened and refilled with oil. They are aluminum sealed cartridge, but mostly the problem was oil leaking out, air getting in and then blowing up the seals. I'll call him back and ask him about it if he thinks it could be a fix or if the cartridges are really shot.

mtbr member
    The Judy SL is a 1996 BTW, not a 1998.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Huckin' trails
    How's that ? Coz of the color ?

And he doesn't know much about the condition of the cartridges, but that he can do $50 for both Judy and SID dual air, which needs repairs. Since I don't know if the cartridges can be fixed, it's a gamble for something I might not have much of a serious use. But if they can be fixed, I'd be happy. I think I'll go see for myself and unless there is something wrong with the SID and the Judy is in awesome condition, I'll grab the SID and try my luck. Anyway I'm pretty sure I can sell it back if it doesn't work like I wanted to.

And is there some dead-giveaway signs that the cartridge could actually be shot ? Like a particular sound or clings when you cycle the fork ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    How's that ? Coz of the color ?
    Color, graphics, pressed in legs to the crown but bolt on arch.

1996 Cartridge is serviceable, travel was 60mm stock on the SL but there was a long travel cartridge kit.

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekatal...als/judyxc.pdf
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Huckin' trails
    Thanks for the insight.

For 60mm travel, it's not worth it though. Even when my Dart 2 get stiff coz of the cold lowers/bushings, I can still have at least 60mm of travel out of it, like 60% of the total for travel. I'll get the SID for $30 and see what I can do.

Like I asked, any advices on guessing the possible condition of the cartridge without having to strip down the fork first ? I never had to deal with oil cartridges before, although it's not much different at all for open bath dampers, but still no experience working on with them yet.

DIY all the way
    As I recall, it's just a matter of removing a lock ring, replacing the O-ring seals, replace oil, and you're good to go.
    No goofy special seals.

Magura