mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Old school Marzocchi Bomber Z1 info request

I found an old Marzocchi bomber Z1 for sale locally. I know nothing about Marzocchi forks. Seems like it's in good condition. The year is unknown. This will be going on my trusty 99 Spec Stumpjumper hardtail and will replace the Manitou SX that came stock.

Is this Marzocchi fork any good? Was trying to find a Superfly or a RS SID, but came up with nothing.

Here are a couple of pics. Thanks.

mtbr member
    easy to work on & maintain. can easily get parts for it. Looks like it's a '96-97 model, judging by the round preload adjusters (the year should be part of the serial #, as well as stamped on the dropouts, crown & brake arch). I think it was the '97 Z2's atom bombs that came in lime green.
    I know on the Z2's there was a year or two there they used non-IS disc tab spacing, so check that if you need disc brakes.

Things to check:
    -seals leaking?
    -the stanchions for wear & scratches
    -the crown for cracks, especially around the bolt holes.
    -bushing wear... if worn there will be lots of play between the stanchions & lowers. Not a deal breaker, but factor in a complete rebuild.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Former Bike Wrench
    and to add, bushing are getting hard to find for those older bombers...I might consider it a deal breaker unless you had access to a set. Seals on the other hand are readily available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks to both of you for the info. The fork is an hour away. I'm debating whether it will be worth the trip. The bushing availability, like mtnbiker mentioned, is what's giving me doubts. I may just get a newer canti-compatible Reba or Fox.

I Have Cookies
    edited I'll pm you the manual
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo