mtbr member
    May 2013

Old RST Fork. Replace?

I'm rebuilding my old (2001), large framed, GT Aggressor 2.0 for my eldest son (19-years-old, 6' tall, and 175lbs). I'm replacing almost all of the components on it.

It has an RST suspension fork on it. I believe it is the 381EL (I'm working from memory). The 2001 Aggressor 2.0 was originally supplied with the Rock Shox Jett, but GT switched to the RST fork after the Jett was recalled.

I'm not sure if I should replace the RST (which never rebounded well), or just clean it up. I don't know much about forks, and I'm not sure if servicing it is worth it. I don't know if it can really be serviced (though I'm willing to learn and give it a go).

The bike is staying an 8x3 with rim brakes. He'll mostly be using it for commuting, but he'll occasionally venture out onto trails with us.

If I replace it, I'll be working with a tight budget due to the vast array of parts that I've already invested in. I'm thinking about the Rock Shox XC 28 TK Mg as a possible replacement. I don't know if it will be an improvement over the RST, however.

The bike has a "WTB Momentum Comp ST" headset, which is 1-1/8." I don't know if that should be replaced if I replace the fork.

Advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Know your limitations, and then defy them.

mtbr member
    On a budget, go with a rigid fork & fatter front tire. You could probably clean up the RST, assuming the elastomers aren't either goo or hard as a rock. It's been a few years, but I found someplace on the internet that showed how to do a basic service on that type of RST... basically pulling off the topcaps & internals, clean & re-lube.

That rockshox is about on par with the RST, though you can at least get parts for it. For a bit over $200, you could get a manitou match w/ brake posts (ie pricepoint), which is a much better fork.

If the headset is still smooth, keep it, save yourself the $20-30 to replace. Make sure to move the headset race from old fork to new fork, if you go that way.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]