mtbr member
    Apr 2009

old rock shox information

Hey folks. New poster here; thanks to all for putting this together.

I ride a 1994 GT Avalanche. Yes, I'm in the market. Back to the Avalanche. At this point, I'm not sure anything is stock except for the frame. A few years back, I finally decided it was time to get a front shock so a friend (old shop guy and gear head) put what he called was a promo carbon fiber-bladed Rock Shox fork that was made around the same time, maybe a bit newer. They were sweet for the era since not a whole lot of carbon was going around back then. But they suck on the trail now because there can't be more than 1.2-2 inches of travel. There are no adjustments to speak of. There are metal screw caps on top of each blade which have a black plastic cylinder. Boot socks. That's about it. My question is whether this thing ever needs any service. The local shop guy says no. I'm wondering if I shouldn't be putting oil or something in them.

I also have one other question. Before I ask, I know I shouldn't be putting any more money into this bike. I know this. But I'm wondering what your suggestions are for newer but preferably used front shocks that would fit my geriatric bike and have more travel for, say, cross country/all mountain (3-5"?) but cost less than $100? I'm a frequent craigslist and ebay user.

THANKS!
    sam

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    1)Yes forks do need to be serviced and sometimes parts will also need to be replaced, there's a 'Sticky' thread at the top of the page called 'Service Information and Set-up' which has a lot of Rock Shox Service & Owners Manuals that might be useful to you.

old Rock Shox parts: http://suspensionforkparts.com/Rock_Shox.html

2)For a new fork on the old bike 80mm would be probably be the best travel length, you could probably go to a maximum 100mm of travel but it's probably not recommended to go any longer.

Former Bike Wrench
    Sounds like you may have an old Rock Shox/Specialized Future Shock FSX

Does it look like either of these two forks:

or

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Is it worth it? Well, if you can pull this off for under $100 it probably is, but there are a few considerations before getting into this.

For $100 you are certainly looking at used. Anything new going for that is not even worth your time, and won't have any more adjustments than you have now.

There are a number of problems you may run into.

First, you need to figure out what size steer tube your frame takes. If it is not 1-1/8", you fork options are VERY limited, as this has been the standard for a while. If it is 1" then you will be looking at older forks, but that may help in terms of affordability.

Second, if your current set up uses a threaded steer tube, you need to stick with threaded or get a new stem as well (and I think a new headset, but I'm not sure about that).

Third, the geometry of this bike is going to be pretty whacked out with a long travel fork. You are probably fine with a 3" fork, 4" is probably not going to feel right, though you may be able to make it work with a new stem/bar setup. Forget about 5".

Whatever you get for that price, you had better be willing and able to work on it. If you can find an old coil fork, like one of the Marzocchi Z2 series, some of those came in 1" steer tubes and are pretty reliable and rebuildable. Forget about anything with elastomers (MCU's) because they wear out and you can't replace them on many older forks (I have an otherwise great 2000 Manitou X-vert, but the MCU's are shot and I can't get replacements).

mtbr member
    If it is the top one, the easiest upgrade you could do would be to install Englund Total Air cartriges in it. Takes your elastomer stack out and replaces it with air. Very easy upgrade. You take any internal part out and thow it away. Don't know where you can get them anymore, but Speedgoat used to sell them.

The kit you would want is TA-C-RSJDY72D-A. It is a conversion to a 72mm travel fork. Keep an eye on ebay for one. I had the fork above and it make a world of difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the information! I'll take a picture and post it before moving on here. Probably should have just done that in the first place. Is there an easy way to determine the steerer size without taking the fork out? Again, it is a 1994 GT Avalance AL.

Thanks.

Sick and Twisted

Still have old Rock Shox FSX?

Hi Sam,

Just wondering if you have the old Rock Shox/Specialized Carbon FSX's and if you would be interested in selling them with or without the whole bike.

Thanks!

Mike