mtbr member
    Jun 2011

... and if we just ... Old 2001 Manitou Answer Magnum R Replacement

I've been looking around for a nice lightweight air shock to replace the '01 Manitou/Answer Magnum R on my Trek 6500. It's a 1-1/8" threadless, 80mm travel, 26" fork, v-brake bosses, and I am unable to find specs on the offset - but it does have an offset.

It seems that the Manitou R7 Pro is the best option (the only option I can find) out there for an air shock with v-brake bosses - factory website specs say 38.1mm offset, whereas every other site says ZERO wheel center offset. I'm confused. Will there be a mis-match in offset be an issue? Does anyone know the offset specs on my old shock - I've searched and can only come up with the maintenance sheet.

Thanks for any help guys/gals.
    Last edited by Gingerkid; 06-21-2011 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Actually the R7 Pro is speced with a 38.1mm offset. Offset is added to a fork by either angling the crown, placing the dropouts on the front of the lowers, or a combination of both. Or in the case of ridged forks by curving the legs. Average offset for standard 9mm QR type forks is between 38 and 39mm. Unless you have found a truly unique R7, I doubt very seriously that it has 0 offset.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks Squash... The mis-information of 'ZERO' offset on all of the websites selling the R7's really threw me off. I'm assuming they just filled the data field with '0' by default.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerkid View Post
    Thanks Squash... The mis-information of 'ZERO' offset on all of the websites selling the R7's really threw me off. I'm assuming they just filled the data field with '0' by default.
    Probably. If the forks have the dropouts mounted on the front of the lower legs you can be certain the fork has some offset. Most likely the retailer couldn't find the spec so entered 0. Very misleading IMHO. I'd be more inlcined to put UNK in there than 0. Less confusing at least. Or maybe the ought to hire a website manager that knows how to search for specs on the manufacturers website? That 38.1mm spec came straight off of Manitous site.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"