mtbr member
    Dec 2009

oil weight for my 66 vf

hey im rebuilding my 66 vf 150 and i know the factory oil weight is 7.5, but i was wondering how different weight oil would affect the performance of the fork. i ride all kinds of terrain, and weigh about 200, so i was just curious if i could make the fork perform better for my riding style. heavier, lighter? anyone have suggestions? thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler16
    hey im rebuilding my 66 vf 150 and i know the factory oil weight is 7.5, but i was wondering how different weight oil would affect the performance of the fork. i ride all kinds of terrain, and weigh about 200, so i was just curious if i could make the fork perform better for my riding style. heavier, lighter? anyone have suggestions? thanks
    I ran 5wt in my ported damper forks to help keep the spiking down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    yeah, i thought about that, but from what i understand, heavier weight oil will stiffen it up and kind of give a "heavier" action. thats what im looking for, because according to my buddies i ride like a maniac, so anything to give me an advantage would be suh-weet. ive heard of the spiking probs though, but overall, have been absolutely blown away by the performance of my fork. even though its 5 years old.

Biking Like Crazy!
    I've got a 05 66vf and I have run 5wt to 15wt and found that the 7.5 with 1/3 5wt to volume works well for me. I'm 180lbs though.
    You might want to add just a little 10wt to the 7.5 and see how it works. The heavier oil will make the fork rebound slower also.
    You might just need to add some air pre-load also. I run zero air in mine.