jones'in

Oil levels on an '06 Z1 FR SL

Hi there,

I installed a new set of enduro seals on my '06 Z1 FR SL today. Seals went in just fine.

I changed the oil today too. I used the following chart for determining the oil levels:
    http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/pro...usa-mtb&Y=2006

I didn't find the Z1 FR SL in there, so I used the oil levels for the Z1 SL. It calls for 180 cc's in the left leg. When pouring the oil into the leg, it wouldn't even hold all of the oil unless the uppers were like 3 inches out of the lowers. That seems to indicate to me that the fork will never get full travel. I've never changed the oil before, so I'm asking for advice. Are Marzocchi's numbers off, or did I do something totally wrong?

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    Hi there,

I installed a new set of enduro seals on my '06 Z1 FR SL today. Seals went in just fine.

I changed the oil today too. I used the following chart for determining the oil levels:
    http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/pro...usa-mtb&Y=2006

I didn't find the Z1 FR SL in there, so I used the oil levels for the Z1 SL. It calls for 180 cc's in the left leg. When pouring the oil into the leg, it wouldn't even hold all of the oil unless the uppers were like 3 inches out of the lowers. That seems to indicate to me that the fork will never get full travel. I've never changed the oil before, so I'm asking for advice. Are Marzocchi's numbers off, or did I do something totally wrong?

--Ben
    ah man you totally screwed up, you used the chart number

So the neg air cart side (left leg) you just need splash lube oil about 40cc 7.5wt. The right leg ECC 5 side you need to fill up to 50-55mm from top of crown down to the oil with the cartridge and lowers bottomed out (after cycling the cart to fill it full and after you have cycled the lowers to fill the bushing area. Stock is 7.5wt for that side too but I found position 1 on the ecc is too fast and position 2 is too slow so 10wt oil worked good to set the rebound where I liked it.

hope that gets you in.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill
    ah man you totally screwed up, you used the chart number

So the neg air cart side (left leg) you just need splash lube oil about 40cc 7.5wt. The right leg ECC 5 side you need to fill up to 50-55mm from top of crown down to the oil with the cartridge and lowers bottomed out (after cycling the cart to fill it full and after you have cycled the lowers to fill the bushing area. Stock is 7.5wt for that side too but I found position 1 on the ecc is too fast and position 2 is too slow so 10wt oil worked good to set the rebound where I liked it.

hope that gets you in.
    Holy crap. From 180cc down to 40cc??! Where the hell did Marzocchi come up the 180cc number? I'm using 5wt oil, so I might add a tad more than you suggest. Sounds like I need to start almost from scratch.....bummer.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

ay Diablo!
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    Holy crap. From 180cc down to 40cc??! Where the hell did Marzocchi come up the 180cc number? I'm using 5wt oil, so I might add a tad more than you suggest. Sounds like I need to start almost from scratch.....bummer.

--Ben
    If you add more oil, you will not get full travel. Unless you are heavy weight, or super aggressive ride.
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Maybe your fork is a 2005 model, this link might be of some help: http://manualer.happymtb.org/marzocchi/2005-z1-fr-sl.pdf

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    Maybe your fork is a 2005 model, this link might be of some help: http://manualer.happymtb.org/marzocchi/2005-z1-fr-sl.pdf
    After looking at this manual, I'm pretty sure that it's an '06 Z1 SL. The buy I bought it from advertised it as a Z1 FR SL, which it doesn't appear to be.

Any way, I followed the advice above tonight and after it was all said and done I ended up w/:
    - 40cc in the left leg
    - about 180cc in the left leg (which was enough to bring it to 50mm from the top crown.

After fiddling w/ the air pressures, I've got it dialed again. Need to ride it a few times to fine tune it. Thanks for all of the help.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/