mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Oil Leaking: Manitou Minute 2.0

Mine is 2006 Manitou Minute 2.0 with TPC.

It's leaking the damping oil from the top of right leg stanchion, not from 24mm thread where the damper unit is threaded. But the oil is traveling up the unit and leaking from the center of the lock out dial, from the tiny 1.5mm bolt in the middle.

It seems like I need to replace the whole damper assembly from the upper right leg.

I spent so much time specing the bike, gathering the parts, hack-saw the steering tube, and build my bike. After a first test ride, there's already oil spewing out, SUCKS.

There seem to be a huge reorganization happening at Manitou's warranty department since Hayes just bought the company. No one is taking the call, and my messages left on their answering machine is not returned.

If Manitou is not taking care of the warranty, should I take it up with JensonUSA?

Thanks for letting me vent...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy
    Mine is 2006 Manitou Minute 2.0 with TPC.

It's leaking the damping oil from the top of right leg stanchion, not from 24mm thread where the damper unit is threaded. But the oil is traveling up the unit and leaking from the center of the lock out dial, from the tiny 1.5mm bolt in the middle.

It seems like I need to replace the whole damper assembly from the upper right leg.

I spent so much time specing the bike, gathering the parts, hack-saw the steering tube, and build my bike. After a first test ride, there's already oil spewing out, SUCKS.

There seem to be a huge reorganization happening at Manitou's warranty department since Hayes just bought the company. No one is taking the call, and my messages left on their answering machine is not returned.

If Manitou is not taking care of the warranty, should I take it up with JensonUSA?

Thanks for letting me vent...
    Yes, I would try talking to Jenson.

But also, if it's leaking out the TPC side, maybe the o-ring that seals the TPC compression rod is either bad, or twisted or whatever. It might be worth removing the TPC cap and taking a look at the compression rod, turn the knob, see how it looks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Having removed the TPC cap and laying down the fork on the side, I can see that the oil is leaking through the rod.

Even if I set TPC to lockout, it compress about a half inch, as the result of the lower oil level.

I guess I would need to take it apart to see what's up and add some fork oil.